to be used on QEMU.

The post here
https://plus.google.com/106815887686504011057/posts/Kgdakxs5cFt#106815887686504011057/posts/Kgdakxs5cFtuses
armhf port from Debian [ Guest ] on linux 3.2.0 Kernel being dom0.

Question's that

Mainly, Have You been able to run Guest OS on QEMU with the Compilations
for ARMv7a, or Cortex-A8 based boards?

Thanks & Regards :: Krishna Pavan
Re: Regarding ARMv7a architecture boards :: Xen-Unstable [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 13:00 +0000, Krishna Pavan wrote:
> Hi Xen-ARM,
>
> I have noticed that Xen-ARM File from here
> http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=people/sstabellini/xen-unstable.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/arm-v6 is to be used on QEMU.

Where is QEMU referenced at that link?

This port is targeting only ARMv7+ processors which have the new
virtualisation extensions. As far as I know there is not yet any such
processor on the market. We are currently targeting ARM's emulator.

Qemu does not emulate these extensions and I believe doing so is a low
priority for developers.

This port is described at:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARMv7_with_Virtualization_Extensions

If you want a version of Xen ARM for existing processors (e.g. those
which lack these extensions) then I suggest you look at the XenARM
project:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_(PV)
Previous versions of XenARM also supported pre-ARMv7 processors.

> The post here
> https://plus.google.com/106815887686504011057/posts/Kgdakxs5cFt#106815887686504011057/posts/Kgdakxs5cFt uses armhf port from Debian [ Guest ] on linux 3.2.0 Kernel being dom0.

This is, as stated in the post, a native system (i.e. not running Xen)
which we built for the purposes of providing a native build environment
in order to be able to build the port. There is therefore no "guest" or
"dom0" involved in this.

> Question's that
>
> Mainly, Have You been able to run Guest OS on QEMU with the
> Compilations for ARMv7a, or Cortex-A8 based boards?

The Xen for ARMv7 with virt extensions port is not currently to the
point of running guests.

I cannot speak for the XenARM project WRT ARMv7a or Cortex-a8 on qemu
specifically although in general it does run guests and I have seen
demos of it doing so.

Ian.

Re: Regarding ARMv7a architecture boards :: Xen-Unstable [ In reply to ]
Hi Xen-ARM,

ThankYou very much for clearing out the confusion related to Xen-ARM Port
for ARMv7a on ARM Emulator.

Line 187 and next of the Config.mk [ attachment to this mail ] uses qemu
support.
Sorry, If have I not understood properly.

ARMWARE [ http://code.google.com/p/armware/ ], Is it the same ARM-Emulator
that was being targeted?

Thanks & Regards :: Krishna Pavan
Re: Regarding ARMv7a architecture boards :: Xen-Unstable [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 13:43 +0000, Krishna Pavan wrote:
> Hi Xen-ARM,
>
> ThankYou very much for clearing out the confusion related to Xen-ARM
> Port for ARMv7a on ARM Emulator.
>
> Line 187 and next of the Config.mk [ attachment to this mail ] uses
> qemu support.
> Sorry, If have I not understood properly.

The reference to Qemu in that file has nothing at all to do with running
Xen within Qemu but refers to the use of Qemu as a component of Xen.

Xen uses qemu as a device model (e.g. the thing which emulates physical
hardware) for the x86 and ia64 ports. Eventually we may do the same for
ARM but at the moment we are targeting a PVHVM style guest.

> ARMWARE [ http://code.google.com/p/armware/ ], Is it the same
> ARM-Emulator that was being targeted?

No. It is the "Fast Model" emulator supplied by ARM ltd. I believe you
can download this and get an evaluation license for this by signing up
on arm.com.

Ian.

Re: Regarding ARMv7a architecture boards :: Xen-Unstable [ In reply to ]
Hi, Ian:

In last week, I've downloaded and compiled xen-arm and dom0 linux from
stabelini's git tree.

1. Regarding the hardware platform, do you use iMX53, Xen-ARM dev farm?
or stick to "Fast Model" emulator?
(BTW. how fast it is?)
I actually downloaded the emulator, but failed to run it over my pc.
(looks very difficult to build up an emulator board in the emulator)

2. At the beginning of xen-arm, it would fail if the hardware does not
have Hyp mode.
Does that mean iMx 53 supports Hyp mode? (w/ virtualization extension)
or just assumes Fast model?

Seehwan.

Re: Regarding ARMv7a architecture boards :: Xen-Unstable [ In reply to ]
Hi Xen-ARM,

The i.MX53 dev farm is something like a native build.

i.MX53 does not have Virtualization Extension Support.
Re: Regarding ARMv7a architecture boards :: Xen-Unstable [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 02:16 +0000, See-Hwan Yoo wrote:
> Hi, Ian:
>
> In last week, I've downloaded and compiled xen-arm and dom0 linux from
> stabelini's git tree.
>
> 1. Regarding the hardware platform, do you use iMX53, Xen-ARM dev farm?
> or stick to "Fast Model" emulator?

Fast Model all the way -- the processor used on the iMX53 platform does
not support hardware virtualisation.

> (BTW. how fast it is?)

It's ok for booting the h/v and kernel with a small userspace. I
wouldn't want to use it e.g. for self-hosting compilation or anything
like that.

> I actually downloaded the emulator, but failed to run it over my pc.
> (looks very difficult to build up an emulator board in the emulator)

We are using the example projects shipped with FastModels. I have just
created a wiki page which runs through the procedure for building one of
those. Please see:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARMv7_with_Virtualization_Extensions/FastModels

> 2. At the beginning of xen-arm, it would fail if the hardware does not
> have Hyp mode.
> Does that mean iMx 53 supports Hyp mode?

It means that this processor does not support Hyp mode (which is
expected).

Ian.

Re: Regarding ARMv7a architecture boards :: Xen-Unstable [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the information wrt. Fast Model.
It would be better if you can upload some screenshot so that I can
have the same configuration with others.
BTW, can I do some experiments with other peripherals such as netdev or blkdev?
In addition, can we profile and measure the basic performance such as
context switching or TLB flush overhead?
Is there performance counter for emulator that is similar to other ARM
processors?

Re: Regarding ARMv7a architecture boards :: Xen-Unstable [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 12:54 +0000, See-Hwan Yoo wrote:
> Thanks for the information wrt. Fast Model.
> It would be better if you can upload some screenshot so that I can
> have the same configuration with others.

Perhaps you could try and run through the written instructions and
produce whichever screenshots you think would be useful for the benefit
of those who come after?

If there is anything which is unclear in the text I'd be happy to
clarify.

> BTW, can I do some experiments with other peripherals such as netdev or blkdev?

> In addition, can we profile and measure the basic performance such as
> context switching or TLB flush overhead?

The status at the moment is that the port will boot a dom0 kernel but we
do not yet have support for booting guests so there probably isn't very
much to measure just yet.

> Is there performance counter for emulator that is similar to other ARM
> processors?

This isn't something we've looked at yet.

Ian.

Re: Regarding ARMv7a architecture boards :: Xen-Unstable [ In reply to ]
Hi Xen-ARM,

I would like to know and download the xen-arm code for boards with armv7a
architecture like i.MX53 LOCO etc......i.e., boards with Cortex-A8 CPU's.

I am aware that boards with armv7a do not have Virtualization Extension
Support, but I have a little knowledge that, the same is being tried on ARM
Fast Model Emulators.

Is there any updated code in the GIT repository.

--
✉ Regards :: Krishna Pavan ✍