Mailing List Archive

opam package renames
Hi,

As xapi starts to stabilise I’d like to refresh the ‘opam’ packages. Ideally we’d push the packages upstream in the master repo, and then we’d benefit from community activity such as

* bulk builds for different distros and architectures
* greater exposure to our stuff via the existing websites full of docs etc

Looking at the current packages[1] we have a bit of a naming problem :) I’d like to propose some renames, to apply the following principles:

0. if something is usable separately and has a nice interface then give it a globally-meaningful name. For example “nbd” for NBD protocol; “vhd-format” for the vhd file format; etc

1. the prefix ‘xcp’ is old and confusing: replace with ‘xapi’. When we talk about xcp we usually mean the “xapi daemons”

2. where a name sounds general but the code is a bit specific, prefix with ‘xapi-‘. I’m looking at you, (xapi-)stdext.

How about the following (opam package) renames? Note no code will change (although that might make sense too):

xcp -> xapi-idl
xen-api-libs-transitional -> xapi-libs-transitional
netdev -> xapi-netdev
cdrom -> xapi-cdrom
forkexecd -> xapi-forkexecd
stdext -> xapi-stdext
tapctl -> xapi-tapctl
xcp-inventory -> xapi-inventory
xcp-rrd -> rrd
xcp-networkd -> xapi-networkd
sm-cli -> xapi-storage-cli
ffs -> xapi-storage-ffs
message_switch -> xapi-message-switch

No change to:
xenctrl
pci-db
netlink
xen-api-client (API, not implementation)
rrdd*
xenops*
camldm

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Dave

[1] https://github.com/djs55/opam-repo-dev/tree/master/packages
Re: opam package renames [ In reply to ]
On 12 Sep 2014, at 15:47, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@citrix.com> wrote:
> netdev -> xapi-netdev
> cdrom -> xapi-cdrom
> message_switch -> xapi-message-switch

these three packages sound generally useful for other OCaml users who want to manipulate such things, and message_switch isnt xapi-specific is it?

-anil
Re: opam package renames [ In reply to ]
> Thoughts?

A good occasion to try the shiny new `opam-admin rename <src> <dst>` (which appears in opam master 2 days ago)

Thomas
Re: opam package renames [ In reply to ]
On 12 Sep 2014, at 15:57, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org> wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2014, at 15:47, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@citrix.com> wrote:
>> netdev -> xapi-netdev
>> cdrom -> xapi-cdrom
>> message_switch -> xapi-message-switch
>
> these three packages sound generally useful for other OCaml users who want to manipulate such things, and message_switch isnt xapi-specific is it?

OK, looking more closely we have:

netdev:
Manipulate Linux network devices, bridges and openvswitch instances

These bindings allow you to query and set parameters of devices, bridges and openvswitch instances running on the local host.

I agree that sounds useful. Although it’s Linux specific for now, perhaps one day it could encompass host network configuration on other platforms? Can anyone think of a better name? I think it’s the string “netdev” that I find a bit opaque :) host-net-configure? network-configure?

cdrom:
Query CDROM devices

Simple OCaml bindings for functions to query the state of CDROM devices. These functions allow an application to find out if media is present.

OK again, this is generally useful. A small, focused library. The name is ok I think.

message_switch: I agree it’s not xapi specific :) It’s just a bit of a prototype. I think it’ll really come into its own when it supports vchan connections and has an irmin backend. So why not call it ‘message-switch’ (changing _ to - perhaps?)

Thanks,
Dave
Re: opam package renames [ In reply to ]
> xcp -> xapi-idl
> xen-api-libs-transitional -> xapi-libs-transitional netdev -> xapi-netdev cdrom -> xapi-cdrom forkexecd -> xapi-forkexecd stdext -> xapi-stdext tapctl -> xapi-tapctl xcp-inventory -> xapi-inventory xcp-rrd -> rrd xcp-networkd -> xapi-networkd sm-cli -> xapi-storage-cli ffs -> xapi-storage-ffs message_switch -> xapi-message-switch

I'm a bit reluctant to rename xcp-rrd to anything as generic as rrd just yet - there's some xen-specific code in there (new_domid? Statefile_latency?) We could aim to split it into two libraries, say rrd and xapi-rrd.

John

Re: opam package renames [ In reply to ]
On 12 Sep 2014, at 17:04, John Else <john.else@citrix.com> wrote:

>> xcp -> xapi-idl
>> xen-api-libs-transitional -> xapi-libs-transitional netdev -> xapi-netdev cdrom -> xapi-cdrom forkexecd -> xapi-forkexecd stdext -> xapi-stdext tapctl -> xapi-tapctl xcp-inventory -> xapi-inventory xcp-rrd -> rrd xcp-networkd -> xapi-networkd sm-cli -> xapi-storage-cli ffs -> xapi-storage-ffs message_switch -> xapi-message-switch
>
> I'm a bit reluctant to rename xcp-rrd to anything as generic as rrd just yet - there's some xen-specific code in there (new_domid? Statefile_latency?) We could aim to split it into two libraries, say rrd and xapi-rrd.

OK fair enough. How about we rename the current thing

xcp-rrd -> xapi-rrd

and split out ‘rrd’ from it later?

Cheers,
Dave
Re: opam package renames [ In reply to ]
> OK fair enough. How about we rename the current thing
>
> xcp-rrd -> xapi-rrd
>
> and split out 'rrd' from it later?

Yep, sounds good!

John

Re: opam package renames [ In reply to ]
On 12/09/14 15:47, Dave Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As xapi starts to stabilise I’d like to refresh the ‘opam’ packages. Ideally we’d push the packages upstream in the master repo, and then we’d benefit from community activity such as
>
> * bulk builds for different distros and architectures
> * greater exposure to our stuff via the existing websites full of docs etc
>
> Looking at the current packages[1] we have a bit of a naming problem :) I’d like to propose some renames, to apply the following principles:
>
> 0. if something is usable separately and has a nice interface then give it a globally-meaningful name. For example “nbd” for NBD protocol; “vhd-format” for the vhd file format; etc
>
> 1. the prefix ‘xcp’ is old and confusing: replace with ‘xapi’. When we talk about xcp we usually mean the “xapi daemons”
>
> 2. where a name sounds general but the code is a bit specific, prefix with ‘xapi-‘. I’m looking at you, (xapi-)stdext.
>
> How about the following (opam package) renames? Note no code will change (although that might make sense too):

We should look over the buildroot package names to make sure they're not
inconsistent. I think we ought to make sure the code changes are
relatively high priority too.

Jon

Re: opam package renames [ In reply to ]
> netdev:
> Manipulate Linux network devices, bridges and openvswitch instances
>
> These bindings allow you to query and set parameters of devices, bridges
> and openvswitch instances running on the local host.
>
> I agree that sounds useful. Although it's Linux specific for now, perhaps
> one day it could encompass host network configuration on other platforms?
> Can anyone think of a better name? I think it's the string "netdev" that I
> find a bit opaque :) host-net-configure? network-configure?

Netdev has a lot of overlap with "xcp-networkd" and "netlink". In fact, I don't think we use "netdev" anymore in xapi, because "xcp-networkd" has taken over its role. For that reason, "netdev" won't really be maintained anymore, and another option may be to ditch it.

Cheers,
Rob