Mailing List Archive

Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project
This is a proposal to change the committers to the XAPI Project.

As previously outlined on this list, the current set of committers
doesn't reflect reality. This proposal is to resync the list to one
based on the top committers to the repository over the last year or so.
The proposed list is:

David Scott
John Else
Jon Ludlam
Si Beaumont
Rob Hoes
Thanos Makatos
Zheng Li
Euan Harris
Konstantina Chremmou
Thomas Sanders
Germano Percossi
Vineeth Thampi Raveendran

Can I please ask the existing committers to vote by replying to this mail?

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
I believe I have to formally vote too:

+1

Jon

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
+1

Paul

Sent from my HTC

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 14/05/14 17:27, Jon Ludlam wrote:
> This is a proposal to change the committers to the XAPI Project.
>
> As previously outlined on this list, the current set of committers
> doesn't reflect reality. This proposal is to resync the list to one
> based on the top committers to the repository over the last year or so.
> The proposed list is:
>
> David Scott
> John Else
> Jon Ludlam
> Si Beaumont
> Rob Hoes
> Thanos Makatos
> Zheng Li
> Euan Harris
> Konstantina Chremmou
> Thomas Sanders
> Germano Percossi
> Vineeth Thampi Raveendran
>
> Can I please ask the existing committers to vote by replying to this mail?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

+1

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
+1

--
Keith Petley
Senior Storage Development Engineer

Citrix Systems UK Ltd

Building 101 | Cambridge Science Park | Milton Road | Cambridge | CB4 0FY | UK

T: +44 (0)1223 435609
Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
All the existing committers have voted in favour. So the proposal
carries. I will update the XAPI webpage
http://www.xenproject.org/developers/teams/xapi.html aaccordingly
Lars

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15 May 2014, at 09:57, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xen.org> wrote:

> All the existing committers have voted in favour. So the proposal carries. I will update the XAPI webpage http://www.xenproject.org/developers/teams/xapi.html aaccordingly
> Lars

This isn't intended to affect the voting, but I would note that it's slightly odd for an open-source project to switch its committers in such a big sweep without at least some discussion about how this affects the overall project direction.

It would be really nice (from my perspective as an interested outsider) to see a short introduction e-mail from the new committers, and a brief outline of what they have worked in the past and the areas of Xapi that they plan to improve.

best,
Anil

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 14/05/14 17:50, Germano Percossi wrote:
> Are the people not listed here still able to push into "Storage" repositories?
No, not directly. Pull requests can be made by anyone, of course. Is
there anyone you think ought to be added to the list?

Jon

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
Yes, Chandrika needs to be able to push.

Cheers,
Germano

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15/05/14 11:14, Germano Percossi wrote:
> Yes, Chandrika needs to be able to push.
OK, seems reasonable to me. She was a couple of places down from the
arbitrary cutoff I made in my commits count list. Lets add her. I hope
this doesn't mean we have to restart the vote...?

Jon

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15/05/14 10:19, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> This isn't intended to affect the voting, but I would note that it's slightly odd for an open-source project to switch its committers in such a big sweep without at least some discussion about how this affects the overall project direction.
The thing is, this isn't a change in committers in reality - it's
replacing a wrong list of committers with a more accurate one.

> It would be really nice (from my perspective as an interested outsider) to see a short introduction e-mail from the new committers, and a brief outline of what they have worked in the past and the areas of Xapi that they plan to improve.

I think this is a good idea in any case. So, to kick things off, here's
where I stand:

I have worked on xapi since 2006, well before it was an open source
project. I've done all sorts of things on it in that time, from work on
the storage interface (in particular working on storage migration), the
events mechanism, the CLI, and other bits and pieces.

What I'm aiming to focus on now is to continue the efforts to take the
xapi project from being something that only builds and works well in a
XenServer context to being something that works well wherever you run
it. We've made enormous progress already on this front, but there is
more to be done! I'd be very keen to work with anyone who wants to get
it working on their favourite distro :-)

Jon

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15 May 2014, at 11:32, Jon Ludlam <jonathan.ludlam@eu.citrix.com> wrote:

> On 15/05/14 10:19, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> This isn't intended to affect the voting, but I would note that it's slightly odd for an open-source project to switch its committers in such a big sweep without at least some discussion about how this affects the overall project direction.
> The thing is, this isn't a change in committers in reality - it's
> replacing a wrong list of committers with a more accurate one.

Ack; that makes sense.

>> It would be really nice (from my perspective as an interested outsider) to see a short introduction e-mail from the new committers, and a brief outline of what they have worked in the past and the areas of Xapi that they plan to improve.
>
> I think this is a good idea in any case. So, to kick things off, here's
> where I stand:
>
> I have worked on xapi since 2006, well before it was an open source
> project. I've done all sorts of things on it in that time, from work on
> the storage interface (in particular working on storage migration), the
> events mechanism, the CLI, and other bits and pieces.
>
> What I'm aiming to focus on now is to continue the efforts to take the
> xapi project from being something that only builds and works well in a
> XenServer context to being something that works well wherever you run
> it. We've made enormous progress already on this front, but there is
> more to be done! I'd be very keen to work with anyone who wants to get
> it working on their favourite distro :-)

I'm particularly interested in getting a Xapi instance running as a stable
package in OPAM. This would make it much easier to experiment with the
codebase in a VM in particular.

Dave and I are mentoring a GSoC student on the topic of cloud APIs, but
spending most of her time on getting Xapi installed wouldn't be productive,
hence the desire for this. If the OCaml xml-rpc bindings work from
OPAM too, that would be a very nice place to start.

best,
Anil

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15/05/2014 11:18, Jon Ludlam wrote:
> On 15/05/14 11:14, Germano Percossi wrote:
>> Yes, Chandrika needs to be able to push.
> OK, seems reasonable to me. She was a couple of places down from the
> arbitrary cutoff I made in my commits count list. Lets add her. I hope
> this doesn't mean we have to restart the vote...?
Fine with me. I need a full name?
Lars

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15/05/14 12:18, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> I'm particularly interested in getting a Xapi instance running as a
> stable package in OPAM. This would make it much easier to experiment
> with the codebase in a VM in particular. Dave and I are mentoring a
> GSoC student on the topic of cloud APIs, but spending most of her time
> on getting Xapi installed wouldn't be productive, hence the desire for
> this. If the OCaml xml-rpc bindings work from OPAM too, that would be
> a very nice place to start. best, Anil

Agreed, that would be really nice. We had something like this working
before; if you add the xapi-project opam repository it might even still
work. However, I'm not convinced that it was executed in the right way.
The trouble is the set of daemons are all intended to run system-wide,
and getting them to run from within your .opam directory was awkward.

Is there a best-practices guide for doing this sort of thing? Should we
be only using opam to install the libraries, and something else for
installing the daemons & executables? Should we be symlinking rather
than changing the hardcoded paths? Should we try and put as many paths
into config files (difficult when the path is in a library used by
several components)?

Getting the XenAPI client library working is much easier - in fact, this
bit already works and is in the normal opam repository. I can post a
walkthrough of this if you like?

Jon

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15/05/14 13:45, Lars Kurth wrote:
> On 15/05/2014 11:18, Jon Ludlam wrote:
>> On 15/05/14 11:14, Germano Percossi wrote:
>>> Yes, Chandrika needs to be able to push.
>> OK, seems reasonable to me. She was a couple of places down from the
>> arbitrary cutoff I made in my commits count list. Lets add her. I hope
>> this doesn't mean we have to restart the vote...?
> Fine with me. I need a full name?
> Lars
Chandrika Srinivasan

Cheers,

Jon

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15 May 2014, at 13:52, Jon Ludlam <jonathan.ludlam@eu.citrix.com> wrote:

> On 15/05/14 12:18, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> I'm particularly interested in getting a Xapi instance running as a
>> stable package in OPAM. This would make it much easier to experiment
>> with the codebase in a VM in particular. Dave and I are mentoring a
>> GSoC student on the topic of cloud APIs, but spending most of her time
>> on getting Xapi installed wouldn't be productive, hence the desire for
>> this. If the OCaml xml-rpc bindings work from OPAM too, that would be
>> a very nice place to start. best, Anil
>
> Agreed, that would be really nice. We had something like this working
> before; if you add the xapi-project opam repository it might even still
> work. However, I'm not convinced that it was executed in the right way.
> The trouble is the set of daemons are all intended to run system-wide,
> and getting them to run from within your .opam directory was awkward.
>
> Is there a best-practices guide for doing this sort of thing? Should we
> be only using opam to install the libraries, and something else for
> installing the daemons & executables? Should we be symlinking rather
> than changing the hardcoded paths? Should we try and put as many paths
> into config files (difficult when the path is in a library used by
> several components)?

Good question -- the general guideline here would be to focus either
on making Xapi relocatable (so it can run from within ~/.opam), or
as a Docker instance (but this blocks usage from NetBSD or FreeBSD when
it gets dom0 support).

OPAM itself works well for installing either executables or libraries,
but it's best to keep it to OCaml code. If importing Xapi wholesale
is very difficult, perhaps cutting up portions of it into libraries
and pulling them into OPAM individually would help reduce the burden
and also allow the independent use of some of the components?

In general, this effort should make porting Xapi to different distros
easier anyway, since control over paths is essential. Are there many
patched system libraries (such as LVM) still needed?

> Getting the XenAPI client library working is much easier - in fact, this
> bit already works and is in the normal opam repository. I can post a
> walkthrough of this if you like?

Aha, useful! I'll let Dave comment on whether this would useful for the
GSoC project, but I did apply a quick fix to get it building again:

(broken log due to missing cstruct.lwt)
https://github.com/avsm/opam-bulk-logs/blob/master/20140514/4.01.0/raw/xen-api-client

(fix in opam-repository)
https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/pull/2078

-anil

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15/05/2014 14:01, Jon Ludlam wrote:

>> Fine with me. I need a full name?
>> Lars
> Chandrika Srinivasan

All the committers are listed at
http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/xapi.html now
Lars

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
Jon,
at some point we should do an intro blog post as well. But we have a
fairly full PR pipeline right now
Lars

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15 May 2014 at 10:20 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

> This isn't intended to affect the voting, but I would note that it's
> slightly odd for an open-source project to switch its committers in
> such a big sweep without at least some discussion about how this
> affects the overall project direction.

I don't think this change will affect the project direction.

Rather, it represents the XAPI project's nominal list of committers
being updated to reflect the practical state of affairs as they are
already: as Jon wrote in his proposal to change the set of committers,

>> As previously outlined on this list, the current set of committers
>> doesn't reflect reality. This proposal is to resync the list to one
>> based on the top committers to the repository over the last year or so.

The new set is very close to the pre-existing set of people with write-
access to the project's repositories on github.

> It would be really nice (from my perspective as an interested outsider) to
> see a short introduction e-mail from the new committers, and a brief outline
> of what they have worked in the past and the areas of Xapi that they plan to
> improve.

I joined Citrix in the autumn of 2010 to work on xapi and XenServer;
since then I have worked mostly in the xapi team but also spent time in
the performance team and the automated-testing team, which added up to a
bit more than a year away from xapi.

I've worked on various parts of xapi, but it's quite bitty and hard to
summarise.

Also, for the best part of a year I was spending part of my time as the
xapi team's "defect coordinator", keeping track of the internal and
external problem-tickets that reached Engineering.

I care about security. I was the tech lead for the work of getting a
slightly customised version of XenServer 6.0.2 through Common Criteria
certification. I'd love a chance to apply a capability-based[1] approach
where it makes sense. We could probably use OCaml's type system to get
more assurances of correctness than we do at present. I look forward to
dom0 services being split out into individual service VMs or stub-
domains.

Nothing solid enough to call a plan at present: it all depends on what
priorities come up.

Thomas

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability-based_security

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15 May 2014 at 10:20 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> It would be really nice (from my perspective as an interested outsider) to
> see a short introduction e-mail from the new committers, and a brief outline
> of what they have worked in the past and the areas of Xapi that they plan to
> improve.
I joined Citrix mid-2012 and initially worked on the storage managers before transitioning to working on Xapi early-2013. In the last year I have been working, with John Else, on adding toolstack support for vGPU on NVIDIA GRID cards[1] and looking at the handling of suspend/resume/migration across different toolstacks (unifying suspend-image formats for portability between libxc and libxl). I'm now looking at adding support for migration from 32-bit to 64-bit Xenopsds.

[1]: http://simonjbeaumont.com/posts/xenserver-vgpu

-Si

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15 May 2014, at 15:56, Thomas Sanders <thomas.sanders@citrix.com> wrote:

> I care about security. I was the tech lead for the work of getting a
> slightly customised version of XenServer 6.0.2 through Common Criteria
> certification. I'd love a chance to apply a capability-based[1] approach
> where it makes sense. We could probably use OCaml's type system to get
> more assurances of correctness than we do at present. I look forward to
> dom0 services being split out into individual service VMs or stub-
> domains.

It's really interesting to hear this. There is an information-flow variant
of OCaml called FlowCaml [1] that could be resurrected fairly easily if
a suitable use case came up (like CC cert).

This lets the programmer understand how information is travelling across
various modules in a complex codebase. Dave and Thomas have also been
pulling out the core logic of Xenstore into a separate Git-like database
called Irmin [2] that captures the entire provenance trace of an OCaml
program in a format that can be analysed programmatically or via the standard
Git command-line tool.

Finally, Jon's been improving the support for vchan in MirageOS to make
it easier to build communicating stub domains. So between all these
recent advances, it could be that building a disaggregated xapi is almost
within reach. The main task is probably to unify the Xapi database layer
with the Xenstore database, so that all the information flow is in one
place...

[1] http://www.normalesup.org/~simonet/soft/flowcaml/
[2] https://github.com/mirage/irmin
[3] http://openmirage.org

Re: Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project [ In reply to ]
On 15/05/14 10:19, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> This isn't intended to affect the voting, but I would note that it's slightly odd for an open-source project to switch its committers in such a big sweep without at least some discussion about how this affects the overall project direction.
The thing is, this isn't a change in committers in reality - it's replacing a wrong list of committers with a more accurate one.

> It would be really nice (from my perspective as an interested outsider) to see a short introduction e-mail from the new committers, and a brief outline of what they have worked in the past and the areas of Xapi that they plan to improve.

I joined Citrix in September 2010 as part of the XenServer Ring3 team. As Simon Beaumont mentioned, I recently worked on toolstack support for vGPU with NVIDIA's GRID cards. I'm continuing to work with NVIDIA to improve integration with current and future GPU hardware.

I've also been working on a library to simplify transmission of RRD data (i.e. performance metrics) between domains [1], and integrating this with the RRD daemon's plugin library [2].

John

[1] https://github.com/xapi-project/rrd-transport/
[2] https://github.com/xapi-project/ocaml-rrdd-plugin/tree/xenostats