Mailing List Archive

Enquiry on Xen hypercalls
[Apologies if this post gets top-posted]

Hi everyone,

My name is Thu and I am looking into the security issues in the Xen
hypervisor. I am writing to enquire on the nature of Xen hypercalls.

As I go through the Xen source code, I found the different types of Xen
hypercalls which can be triggered by the guest VMs (e.g. do_mmu_update,
do_grant_table,etc) along with their corresponding hypercall numbers. But
when I analysed the Xen trace buffer using Xentrace (with the TRC_PV_TRAP
mask), I was not able to see these hypercalls being triggered by the Guest
VMs.

I found that to be puzzling, as I had expected the guest VMs to make
hypercall requests to the underlying Xen hypervisor throughout its lifetime.

With that in mind, I would like to know the circumstances under which a
guest VM triggers a hypercall request.

I would be happy if you could provide me with some insights on this, as it
will help me a lot in my work.

Thanks a lot in advance and look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Thu