Mailing List Archive

VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED
I have debian wheezy running xen host inside a virtualbox guest, so
the xen host doesn't have HVM.

I am using a third party application (cloudstack) communicating with
xen using xapi. I'm trying to create a VM using Ubuntu 12.04
installation ISO [1], but have set the OS type to 'Other (32 bit) so
that xen would not use HVM, but I receive the error VM_HVM_REQUIRED.

I have captured the VM.create request here:
https://gist.github.com/snowch/9957480 and also the VM.start_on
response here: https://gist.github.com/snowch/9957480

I had originally posted this question to the cloudstack mailing list,
but I now think the question is more relevant to this list because it
is actually a question about the xen api.

Question 1:

Is my understanding correct that I should be able to create a VM on a
non HVM Xen host using the Ubuntu install ISO?

Question 2:

If the answer to Q1 is 'yes', is there anything that stands out in the
VM.start request that is telling Xen that the vm must have HVM support
which is then telling xen to fail the request? It seems that
somewhere in the xapi call stack for VM.start_on, the method
VM.get_HVM_boot_policy is getting called and returning that hvm is
required.

Many thanks!

Chris

---
[1] http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-12.04.4-server-i386.iso
[2] https://github.com/xapi-project/xen-api/blob/master/ocaml/xapi/xapi_vm_helpers.ml#L488

Re: VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED [ In reply to ]
Hi Chris,

are you able to go to the cli and retrieve the param-list for this VM? i
think this may be due to VIRIDIAN flag being set to true.

xe vm-param-list uuid=<uuid of vm>

Re: VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED [ In reply to ]
Hi David,

xe vm-param-list output:

name-label ( RW): i-2-19-VM
name-description ( RW): Template which allows VM
installation from install media
user-version ( RW): 1
is-a-template ( RW): false
is-a-snapshot ( RO): false
snapshot-of ( RO): <not in database>
snapshots ( RO):
snapshot-time ( RO): 19700101T00:00:00Z
snapshot-info ( RO):
parent ( RO): <not in database>
children ( RO):
is-control-domain ( RO): false
power-state ( RO): halted
memory-actual ( RO): 0
memory-target ( RO): 0
memory-overhead ( RO): 4194304
memory-static-max ( RW): 104857600
memory-dynamic-max ( RW): 104857600
memory-dynamic-min ( RW): 104857600
memory-static-min ( RW): 104857600
suspend-VDI-uuid ( RW): <not in database>
suspend-SR-uuid ( RW): <not in database>
VCPUs-params (MRW): weight: 9; cap: 0
VCPUs-max ( RW): 1
VCPUs-at-startup ( RW): 1
actions-after-shutdown ( RW): Destroy
actions-after-reboot ( RW): Restart
actions-after-crash ( RW): Destroy
console-uuids (SRO):
platform (MRW): viridian: true; acpi: true;
apic: true; pae: true; nx: false
allowed-operations (SRO): changing_dynamic_range;
changing_shadow_memory; changing_static_range; make_into_template;
destroy; export; start_on; start; clone; copy; snapshot
current-operations (SRO):
blocked-operations (MRW):
allowed-VBD-devices (SRO): 1; 2; 3
allowed-VIF-devices (SRO): 0; 1; 2; 3
possible-hosts ( RO):
HVM-boot-policy ( RW): BIOS order
HVM-boot-params (MRW): order: dc
HVM-shadow-multiplier ( RW): 1.000
PV-kernel ( RW):
PV-ramdisk ( RW):
PV-args ( RW):
PV-legacy-args ( RW):
PV-bootloader ( RW):
PV-bootloader-args ( RW):
last-boot-CPU-flags ( RO):
last-boot-record ( RO): ''
resident-on ( RO): <not in database>
affinity ( RW): c47d712e-8aa8-fcd6-113e-8546532e5fcc
other-config (MRW): mac_seed:
b2088266-d6fd-dfd2-4b5e-84c037d085d6; install-methods: cdrom
dom-id ( RO): -1
recommendations ( RO): <restrictions><restriction
field="memory-static-max" max="137438953472" /><restriction
field="vcpus-max" max="16" /><restriction property="number-of-vbds"
max="7" /><restriction property="number-of-vifs" max="7"
/></restrictions>
xenstore-data (MRW):
ha-always-run ( RW) [DEPRECATED]: false
ha-restart-priority ( RW):
blobs ( RO):
start-time ( RO): 19700101T00:00:00Z
install-time ( RO): 19700101T00:00:00Z
VCPUs-number ( RO): 0
VCPUs-utilisation (MRO):
os-version (MRO): <not in database>
PV-drivers-version (MRO): <not in database>
PV-drivers-up-to-date ( RO): <not in database>
memory (MRO): <not in database>
disks (MRO): <not in database>
networks (MRO): <not in database>
other (MRO): <not in database>
live ( RO): <not in database>
guest-metrics-last-updated ( RO): <not in database>
cooperative ( RO): true
protection-policy ( RW): <not in database>
is-snapshot-from-vmpp ( RO): false
tags (SRW):
appliance ( RW): <not in database>
start-delay ( RW): 0
shutdown-delay ( RW): 0
order ( RW): 0
version ( RO): 0

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Re: VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED [ In reply to ]
Hi David,

The VM.create is setting this:

<name>platform</name>
<value>
<struct>
<member>
<name>viridian</name>
<value>true</value>
</member>
</struct>
</value>

Am I right in thinking that getting cloudstack to set viridian to
false could fix the VM_HVM_REQUIRED error?

Many thanks,

Chris

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Re: VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED [ In reply to ]
Ok, so from my understanding, you can't run a HVM guest with VIRIDIAN set
to true.

Can you use the xe vm-param-set functionality to switch Viridian to false
and try again.

Re: VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED [ In reply to ]
The guest vm is non-hvm and the host is non-hvm, so viridian=true should be
OK? Also, other guest vms are running fine with viridian=true.

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED [ In reply to ]
Hello Chris,

If you have created your VM from the “Other install media” template, then XenServer will boot it as an HVM guest.

This is governed by the following parameters on your VM:

HVM-boot-policy ( RW): BIOS order
HVM-boot-params (MRW): order: dc
HVM-shadow-multiplier ( RW): 1.000
PV-kernel ( RW):
PV-ramdisk ( RW):
PV-args ( RW):
PV-legacy-args ( RW):
PV-bootloader ( RW):
PV-bootloader-args ( RW):

Try using ‘xe vm-param-set’ to clear the HVM-boot-policy and HVM-boot-params keys, and set PV-bootloader to “pygrub”.

Now, this would only work if the kernel of your guest is a PVOPS one (3.x), or specially compiled for Xen, which may not be the case.

Cheers,
Rob

Re: VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED [ In reply to ]
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info!!

The installation ISO is Ubuntu 12.04.4 [1] - which I believe has a 3.2
linux kenel, so should be PVOPS enabled?

I'm not sure I'll be able to use 'xe vm-param-set' because Cloudstack
detects the failure to start the instance and seems to delete it.
Instead of vm-param-set, I should be able to reach the same goal if I
try to alter the VM.create XMLRPC commands sent from Cloudstack?

From:
<member>
<name>HVM_boot_policy</name>
<value>BIOS order</value>
</member>
<member>
<name>HVM_boot_params</name>
<value>
<struct>
<member>
<name>order</name>
<value>dc</value>
</member>
</struct>
</value>
</member>
<member>
<name>PV_bootloader</name>
<value></value>
</member>

<member>
<name>HVM_boot_policy</name>
<value></value>
</member>
<member>
<name>HVM_boot_params</name>
<value></value>
</member>
<member>
<name>PV_bootloader</name>
<value>pgrub</value>
</member>

Many thanks,

Chris

---

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Re: VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED [ In reply to ]
That may work indeed (if you'd spell “pygrub” correctly :) ).

Cheers,
Rob

Re: VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED [ In reply to ]
lol - thanks, will give it a try this evening...

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69