Mailing List Archive

xen api sever connection issue
I am running into issues connecting to 9363, history as follows:

Edited xend-config.sxp to reflect

(xen-api-server ((9363 none '')))

service xend restart

netstat -l

shows 9363 listening to everybody

6936 gets ' Invalid argument. An application passed an invalid input
parameter in a function call.'

expected as I just want to verify route.

9363 gets 'The host server is unreachable.'

Any ideas?

Many Thanks
Re: xen api sever connection issue [ In reply to ]
Could you post your /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp please? I suspect the
`' after none is not required.

Cheers

Tom

RE: xen api sever connection issue [ In reply to ]
Tom,

Correct the '' is not required, removing '' does not change symptoms.

Thanks

_____

RE: xen api sever connection issue [ In reply to ]
# -*- sh -*-

#

# Xend configuration file.

#

# This example configuration is appropriate for an installation that

# utilizes a bridged network configuration. Access to xend via http

# is disabled.

# Commented out entries show the default for that entry, unless otherwise

# specified.

#(logfile /var/log/xen/xend.log)

#(loglevel DEBUG)

# The Xen-API server configuration. (Please note that this server is

# available as an UNSUPPORTED PREVIEW in Xen 3.0.4, and should not be relied

# upon).

#

# This value configures the ports, interfaces, and access controls for the

# Xen-API server. Each entry in the list starts with either unix, a port

# number, or an address:port pair. If this is "unix", then a UDP socket is

# opened, and this entry applies to that. If it is a port, then Xend will

# listen on all interfaces on that TCP port, and if it is an address:port

# pair, then Xend will listen on the specified port, using the interface
with

# the specified address.

#

# The subsequent string configures the user-based access control for the

# listener in question. This can be one of "none" or "pam", indicating
either

# that users should be allowed access unconditionally, or that the local

# Pluggable Authentication Modules configuration should be used. If this

# string is missing or empty, then "pam" is used.

#

# The final string gives the host-based access control for that listener. If

# this is missing or empty, then all connections are accepted. Otherwise,

# this should be a space-separated sequence of regular expressions; any host

# with a fully-qualified domain name or an IP address that matches one of

# these regular expressions will be accepted.

#

# Example: listen on TCP port 9363 on all interfaces, accepting connections

# only from machines in example.com or localhost, and allow access through

# the unix domain socket unconditionally:

#

# (xen-api-server ((9363 pam '^localhost$ example\\.com$')

# (unix none)))

#

# Default:

(xen-api-server ((9363 none)))

#(xend-http-server yes)

#(xend-unix-server no)

#(xend-tcp-xmlrpc-server yes)

#(xend-unix-xmlrpc-server yes)

#(xend-relocation-server no)

#(xend-unix-path /var/lib/xend/xend-socket)

# Port xend should use for the HTTP interface, if xend-http-server is set.

#(xend-port 8000)

# Port xend should use for the relocation interface, if
xend-relocation-server

# is set.

#(xend-relocation-port 8002)

# Address xend should listen on for HTTP connections, if xend-http-server is

# set.

# Specifying 'localhost' prevents remote connections.

# Specifying the empty string '' (the default) allows all connections.

#(xend-address '')

#(xend-address localhost)

# Address xend should listen on for relocation-socket connections, if

# xend-relocation-server is set.

# Meaning and default as for xend-address above.

#(xend-relocation-address '')

# The hosts allowed to talk to the relocation port. If this is empty (the

# default), then all connections are allowed (assuming that the connection

# arrives on a port and interface on which we are listening; see

# xend-relocation-port and xend-relocation-address above). Otherwise, this

# should be a space-separated sequence of regular expressions. Any host
with

# a fully-qualified domain name or an IP address that matches one of these

# regular expressions will be accepted.

#

# For example:

# (xend-relocation-hosts-allow '^localhost$ ^.*\\.example\\.org$')

#

#(xend-relocation-hosts-allow '')

# The limit (in kilobytes) on the size of the console buffer

#(console-limit 1024)

##

# To bridge network traffic, like this:

#

# dom0: fake eth0 -> vif0.0 -+

# |

# bridge -> real eth0 -> the network

# |

# domU: fake eth0 -> vifN.0 -+

#

# use

#

# (network-script network-bridge)

#

# Your default ethernet device is used as the outgoing interface, by
default.

# To use a different one (e.g. eth1) use

#

# (network-script 'network-bridge bridge=<name>')

#

# It is possible to use the network-bridge script in more complicated

# scenarios, such as having two outgoing interfaces, with two bridges, and

# two fake interfaces per guest domain. To do things like this, write

# yourself a wrapper script, and call network-bridge from it, as
appropriate.

#

(network-script network-bridge-all)

# The script used to control virtual interfaces. This can be overridden on

# per-vif basis when creating a domain or a configuring a new vif. The

# vif-bridge script is designed for use with the network-bridge script, or

# similar configurations.

#

# If you have overridden the bridge name using

# (network-script 'network-bridge bridge=<name>') then you may wish to do
the

# same here. The bridge name can also be set when creating a domain or

# configuring a new vif, but a value specified here would act as a default.

#

# If you are using only one bridge, the vif-bridge script will discover
that,

# so there is no need to specify it explicitly.

#

(vif-script vif-bridge)

## Use the following if network traffic is routed, as an alternative to the

# settings for bridged networking given above.

#(network-script network-route)

#(vif-script vif-route)

## Use the following if network traffic is routed with NAT, as an
alternative

# to the settings for bridged networking given above.

#(network-script network-nat)

#(vif-script vif-nat)

# Dom0 will balloon out when needed to free memory for domU.

# dom0-min-mem is the lowest memory level (in MB) dom0 will get down to.

# If dom0-min-mem=0, dom0 will never balloon out.

(dom0-min-mem 0)

# In SMP system, dom0 will use dom0-cpus # of CPUS

# If dom0-cpus = 0, dom0 will take all cpus available

(dom0-cpus 1)

# Whether to enable core-dumps when domains crash.

#(enable-dump no)

# The tool used for initiating virtual TPM migration

#(external-migration-tool '')

# The interface for VNC servers to listen on. Defaults

# to 127.0.0.1 To restore old 'listen everywhere' behaviour

# set this to 0.0.0.0

#(vnc-listen '127.0.0.1')

# The default password for VNC console on HVM domain.

# Empty string is no authentication.

(vncpasswd '')

_____

RE: xen api sever connection issue [ In reply to ]
netstat returns:

[root@xenserver1 xen]# netstat -l

Active Internet connections (only servers)

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State

tcp 0 0 localhost:sunrpc *:*
LISTEN

tcp 0 0 *:9363 *:*
LISTEN

tcp 0 0 *:6936 *:*
LISTEN

tcp 0 0 localhost:6937 *:*
LISTEN

tcp 0 0 *:ssh *:*
LISTEN

udp 0 0 localhost:sunrpc *:*

Active UNIX domain sockets (only servers)

Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path

unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 15661
/var/run/xenstored/socket

unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 15662
/var/run/xenstored/socket_ro

unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 19951
/var/run/xend/xmlrpc.sock

[root@xenserver1 xen]#

_____

Re: xen api sever connection issue [ In reply to ]
Do you have a firewall turned on?

Tom

RE: xen api sever connection issue [ In reply to ]
No firewall

I am able to access 6936 just not 9363

_____

Re: xen api sever connection issue [ In reply to ]
What are you using to connect? xm? or a custom client? have you
tried just telnetting to that port and evoking a response?

Cheers

Tom

RE: xen api sever connection issue [ In reply to ]
Custom client, working on producing some .net client examples for xen api.
Fails with java also though.

Telnet via putty port 9363 returns no route to host

_____

RE: xen api sever connection issue [ In reply to ]
Tom, does this assist

[2007-05-25 10:33:29 xend 7303] INFO (XMLRPCServer:115) Opening TCP XML-RPC
server on all interfaces, port 9363; authentication has been disabled for
this server.

[2007-05-25 10:33:29 xend 7303] ERROR (XMLRPCServer:125) Cannot start
server: Address already in use!

[2007-05-25 10:33:29 xend 7303] INFO (XMLRPCServer:121) Opening Unix domain
socket XML-RPC server on /var/run/xend/xmlrpc.sock.

[2007-05-25 10:33:30 xend 7274] DEBUG (SrvServer:157) Waiting for
['XMLRPCServer', 'XMLRPCServer'].

[2007-05-25 10:33:30 xend 7274] DEBUG (XMLRPCServer:186)
XMLRPCServer.cleanup()

[2007-05-25 10:33:30 xend 7274] DEBUG (XMLRPCServer:186)
XMLRPCServer.cleanup()

[2007-05-25 10:33:30 xend 7273] INFO (SrvDaemon:218) Xend exited with status
0.

[2007-05-25 10:33:59 xend 7303] ERROR (SrvServer:134) Server XMLRPCServer
did not initialise!

[2007-05-25 10:34:00 xend 7311] WARNING (XendAuthSessions:27) python-pam is
required for XenAPI support.

_____

Re: xen api sever connection issue [ In reply to ]
Hi

This log says the port is already in use. If you do a netstat -tap
in dom0 it will tell you the program using this port. You can change
the port in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp.

Cheers

Tom

RE: xen api sever methodCall [ In reply to ]
Switched to a single interface amongst other issues

I am watching the traffic come in on 9363 with tcpdump 9363, so there is
communication

Doing an http post as below I get "The system cannot locate the resource
specified."

<?xml version='1.0'?>

<methodCall>

<methodName>session.login_with_password</methodName>

<params>

<param>

<value>

</param>