Mailing List Archive

Documentation survey results
Hi everyone,

First and foremost, thank you for your time in providing valuable feedback
on our current documentation in The Xen Project.

This survey has now concluded, and I am happy to share the results with you.
Please find attached the full survey results here
<https://cryptpad.fr/file/#/2/file/9dhImqlBHovRuYMe-m8Eh3jO/>.

*Summary:*

- We've received valuable suggestions for enhancing Xen documentation,
including keeping it up-to-date, adding step-by-step tutorials, providing
debugging guides, and diving deeper into architectural aspects.
- Users recommend platforms like Doxygen, Sphinx, and GitLab for
efficient documentation management. Incorporating visual aids and practical
guides is emphasized for better user engagement.
- A total of 35 participants gave feedback, with the majority having at
least 2 years of experience and 10 who have been in the project for over
10+ years.
- The majority of the participants stated they used the Xen project wiki
as their primary source for documentation, closely followed by Xen bits,
asking the mailing list, Matrix/IRC, and distro documentation. However, one
person didn't know we had documentation.
- Overall it is clear to see there is a demand for clear and accurate
documentation. Although the existing documentation has some benefits, the
majority of the community would like to see this improved and changed.

*Next steps:*

There is no single solution that solves all the issues instantaneously.
However, we have identified the key aspects of updating content, especially
how-to guides for new users, and simplifying it for everyone to find the
information they need.

The community manager will be working on identifying different ways to
ensure users' suggestions are acknowledged and implemented. The next steps
will be to collaborate closely with the community on updating the content
and potentially the platform. The improved documentation will likely be
planned to be a part of the new website for The Xen Project.

Many thanks,
Kelly Choi

Open Source Community Manager
XenServer, Cloud Software Group