Mailing List Archive

Frontend stable policy: Making it official
Dear fellow developers! If you don't work on gadgets or Wikimedia code,
feel free to ignore this email!

For some time we've had the Stable interface policy which has been super
helpful for backend-development. I would love us to have an equivalent for
frontend code.

For the past 3 years we have been building one with feedback and
suggestions from gadget developers, WMF staff and Wikimedia volunteers. The
current draft can be found at:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Jdlrobson/Stable_interface_policy/frontend

I would like to make this policy official so that we can get the benefits
of having a document and continue to evolve it in a more official capacity.

If anyone wants to veto this, I'd like to hear from you on the talk page or
by a reply to this email (either privately or publicly). When making a veto
please make that explicit and include the text you find problematic and
details about why.

If there is no active veto after one month, this policy will be made
official and moved to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Stable_interface_policy/frontend.

Thanks in advance for all your help with this important matter!

Jon Robson
PS. This note has also been sent to tech news.
Re: Frontend stable policy: Making it official [ In reply to ]
Hey all
A month has passed since my last e-mail and while I received lots of
feedback (mainly relating to the structure and readability of the document)
there were no concerns about making this official and I have thus made the
page official.

If you work on extensions or MediaWiki core, please read through the
changes outlined below, and have a look at the policy page at
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Stable_interface_policy/frontend>.

Given the substantial edits to the page itself to change structure and
readability (but not meaning) please review the open topics on the talk
page: <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Stable_interface_policy/frontend>
This document is intended to be a living document that evolves with our
shared needs over time, so this should not be seen as a perfect finalized
document.

I hope this helps provide Wikimedia sites with a healthier ecosystem,
particularly for gadget developers. Thanks to all those who have engaged in
this process over the last two years [1] and special thanks to Amir
Sarabandi for help relating to its roll-out.

Jon

[1] Note: In my original email I mistakenly said that we had been working
on it for 3 years.