Mailing List Archive

[action requested] Technical Decision-Making Retrospective Survey
Hello all,

The Technical Decision-Making Forum Retrospective team
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Technical_decision_making> invites you to
complete a survey about Wikimedia's technical decision-making processes.
While there will be more ways to participate, this is the first and most
important step in our data collection. It aims to gather information about
your experience, thoughts, and needs regarding the process of making
technical decisions across the Wikimedia technical spaces.

This survey will be used for gathering information about the process and
the needs around technical decision-making that touches our production
systems.

You can find the survey link here:
https://wikimediafoundation.limesurvey.net/885471?lang=en

Who should take this survey?

People who do technical work that relies on software maintained by the
Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) or affiliates. If you contribute code to
MediaWiki or extensions used by Wikimedia, or you maintain gadgets or tools
that rely on WMF infrastructure, this survey is for you.

What is the deadline?

*August 7th, 2023 *

What will the Retrospective team do with the information?

The retrospective team will synthesize the collected data and publish an
anonymized analysis that will help leadership make decisions about the
future of the process.

We will collect anonymized information that we will analyze in two main
ways:

-

Sentiments based on demographic information: these will tell us whether
there are different needs and desires from different groups of people.
-

General needs and perceptions about decision-making in our technical
spaces: This will help us understand what kind of decisions happen in
the spaces, who is involved, and how to adjust our processes accordingly.

Is the survey the only way to participate?

The survey is the most important way for us to gather information because
it helps us gather input in a structured manner. But it will not be the
only way you can share your thoughts with us - we will have more
information soon about upcoming listening sessions where you can talk with
us live. In the meantime, you are always welcome to leave feedback on the
talk page:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Technical_decision_making/Technical_Decision-Making_Process_Retrospective_and_Consultation_plan

Where can I see more information?

There are several places where you can find more information about the
Technical Decision-Making Process Retrospective:

-

The original announcement about the retrospective from Tajh Taylor:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/IF3OJARL4WYKJYQAS7NTP4FT72R626EG/

-

The Technical Decision-Making Process general information page:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Technical_decision_making
-

The Technical Decision-Making Process Retrospective on MediaWiki:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Technical_decision_making/Technical_Decision-Making_Process_Retrospective_and_Consultation_plan

-

Phabricator ticket: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T333235

How to contact the retrospective core team:

-

-

The Technical Decision-Making Process Retrospective on MediaWiki talk
page:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Technical_decision_making/Technical_Decision-Making_Process_Retrospective_and_Consultation_plan

Thank you,

Moriel, on behalf of the TDMP Retro Core Group

Core group:

-

Moriel Schottlender (chair)
-

Daniel Kinzler
-

Chris Danis
-

Kosta Harlan
-

Temilola Adeleye

--
Moriel Schottlender (she/her <https://pronoun.is/she>)
Principal Software Engineer
Re: [action requested] Technical Decision-Making Retrospective Survey [ In reply to ]
Just fyi, qustion 17 requires you to answer even though the instructions
say not to answer unless applicable.

Re: [action requested] Technical Decision-Making Retrospective Survey [ In reply to ]
Thank you for spotting this!

This is now fixed; it should not require an answer anymore.

Re: [action requested] Technical Decision-Making Retrospective Survey [ In reply to ]
Would it be possible to activate "Allow backward navigation" in the survey
so that it's possible to go back to a previous question and modify an
answer?

Cheers,
André
André Costa | Chief Operating Officer, Wikimedia Sverige |
Andre.Costa@wikimedia.se | +46 (0)733-964574

Stöd fri kunskap, bli medlem i Wikimedia Sverige.
Läs mer på blimedlem.wikimedia.se

Den tis 18 juli 2023 kl 21:28 skrev Moriel Schottlender <

Re: [action requested] Technical Decision-Making Retrospective Survey [ In reply to ]
Hi André,

Thank you for the question -- I've enabled "backwards navigation" on the
survey. It should be possible to go back to previous questions.

Thanks for flagging this!

Moriel