Mailing List Archive

Automatic import of users to /repos/mediawiki on GitLab
Hey all,

On Monday June 5th, 2023 at 15:00 UTC (8am US/Pacific) we (the Release
Engineering Team) will run scripts[0] to add a bunch of users to the
/repos/mediawiki group[1] on GitLab. You may see mail from GitLab as a
result.

We're adding accounts from the wmf and ops LDAP groups, to be synchronized
regularly. We'll also be doing a one-time import of the mediawiki group
defined in Gerrit. Users will initially be added with a GitLab role of
"Developer". If a user has not yet logged into GitLab with their developer
account, this process will first create a GitLab account for them.

While there's a lot to be done yet, this is one step in migrating MediaWiki
development to GitLab. You can track our progress on this at T335921[2],
and review a draft of the proposed namespace layout and permissions policy
on mw.org[3].

Thanks!

-- Release Engineering

[0].
https://gitlab.wikimedia.org/repos/releng/gitlab-settings/-/tree/main/group-management
[1]. https://gitlab.wikimedia.org/repos/mediawiki/
[2]. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T335921
[3]. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/GitLab/Policy#MediaWiki_namespace
Re: Automatic import of users to /repos/mediawiki on GitLab [ In reply to ]
Today (Monday June 5th, 2023) at 15:00 UTC (8am US/Pacific) we ran the
account import operation that was announced a few days ago. The operation
completed successfully.

You may have received an email from GitLab telling you that SSH keys were
added to your account. These are SSH keys that are associated with your
Wikitech account that have been copied into GitLab.

There have been reports of users having difficulty setting up two factor
authentication (2FA) on their accounts. The problem and workaround is
described in an existing GitLab issue:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/344527.

-- Release Engineering

Re: Automatic import of users to /repos/mediawiki on GitLab [ In reply to ]
Hello,
I don't know if this is related, but when I want to sign in with "Kizule"
account (registered on wikitech.wikimedia.org), I'm having this error "Your
account is pending approval from your GitLab administrator and hence
blocked. Please contact your GitLab administrator if you think this is an
error.".

Can you fix this? :)

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,
Zoran

???, 5. ??? 2023. ? 23:45 Ahmon Dancy <adancy@wikimedia.org> ?? ???????/??:

Re: Automatic import of users to /repos/mediawiki on GitLab [ In reply to ]
> "Your account is pending approval from your GitLab administrator and hence blocked. Please contact your GitLab administrator if you think this is an error.".

I approved your user just now.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 10:37?PM Zoran Dori <zorandori4444@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I don't know if this is related, but when I want to sign in with "Kizule" account (registered on wikitech.wikimedia.org), I'm having this error "Your account is pending approval from your GitLab administrator and hence blocked. Please contact your GitLab administrator if you think this is an error.".
>
> Can you fix this? :)
>
> Thank you for your understanding!
>
> Best regards,
> Zoran
>
> ???, 5. ??? 2023. ? 23:45 Ahmon Dancy <adancy@wikimedia.org> ?? ???????/??:
>>
>> Today (Monday June 5th, 2023) at 15:00 UTC (8am US/Pacific) we ran the account import operation that was announced a few days ago. The operation completed successfully.
>>
>> You may have received an email from GitLab telling you that SSH keys were added to your account. These are SSH keys that are associated with your Wikitech account that have been copied into GitLab.
>>
>> There have been reports of users having difficulty setting up two factor authentication (2FA) on their accounts. The problem and workaround is described in an existing GitLab issue: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/344527.
>>
>> -- Release Engineering
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 3:22?PM Ahmon Dancy <adancy@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> On Monday June 5th, 2023 at 15:00 UTC (8am US/Pacific) we (the Release Engineering Team) will run scripts[0] to add a bunch of users to the /repos/mediawiki group[1] on GitLab. You may see mail from GitLab as a result.
>>>
>>> We're adding accounts from the wmf and ops LDAP groups, to be synchronized regularly. We'll also be doing a one-time import of the mediawiki group defined in Gerrit. Users will initially be added with a GitLab role of "Developer". If a user has not yet logged into GitLab with their developer account, this process will first create a GitLab account for them.
>>>
>>> While there's a lot to be done yet, this is one step in migrating MediaWiki development to GitLab. You can track our progress on this at T335921[2], and review a draft of the proposed namespace layout and permissions policy on mw.org[3].
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> -- Release Engineering
>>>
>>> [0]. https://gitlab.wikimedia.org/repos/releng/gitlab-settings/-/tree/main/group-management
>>> [1]. https://gitlab.wikimedia.org/repos/mediawiki/