Mailing List Archive

Continuing development of mediawiki Extension AutoCreatePage
Hello,

I use the extension AutoCreatePage
(https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AutoCreatePage) in a project
at my University. But it does not work

in current mediawiki versions as it was last updated . So I try to adapt
it to work in mediawiki 1.39.3. It almost works now and I'm considering
releasing it but don't know how to proceed.

I forked the github project
(https://github.com/mkroetzsch/AutoCreatePage/pull/16) but got no
response for now. There are also older pull requests not answered.

Should I somehow replace the existing extension with my new one or would
it be better to make my fork a new extension with a different name? It
does not feel right, because I use

a lot of the code from the old extension.

I hope this is the correct mailing list for this topic. Otherwise I
would be thankful if you could direct me to the correct place to ask
about this.

Kind Regards,

Oliver Tautz
Re: Continuing development of mediawiki Extension AutoCreatePage [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Did you try making pull requests against
https://github.com/Universal-Omega/AutoCreatePage ? I think universal omega
took over the extension at some point.

Generally speaking, if the original author doesn't respond after a
reasonable time, the original extension does not work with modern
mediawiki, and nobody else objects, its considered acceptable to take over
the name of the extension. You should definitely post on the talk page of
the extension's page on mediawiki.org, try and email all the authors, and
file github issues first, before doing so, in order to be sure the original
author has been notified.

--
Brian