interface) explaining their actions.

There are NO anonymity/privacy issues from making someone register.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
Re: Anti troll mechanism and non registered users [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 07:22:22PM -0700, Hunter Peress wrote:
> hmm, so I was thinking about the performance hit from the extra difflib call. There are two
> choices:
>
> put ALL non-registered users under a separate process that is niced to be of lower priority
> (higher nice) than the registered version.
>
> OR simply use an if statement to only do the difflib/anti-troll call for non-registered.
>
> If you agree with me that trolling is an issue
[cut]

We don't agree with you. Worst trolls were registered anyway.
Re: Anti troll mechanism and non registered users [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Hunter Peress wrote:

> If you agree with me that trolling is an issue and that my solution is effective (or some derivate
> of it yet to be chiseled out), then it will be FACT that non-registered users will put more hit on
> the server, thus its logical to put them at a lower priority (something that ALSO will be an
> anti-troll mechanism).

1. I agree that trolling is an issue, it is however a very minor one compared
to many others.
2. I do not agree that your solution is effective. Or rather, that its effectiveness
is anywhere near to large enough to compare to its damage.
3. The amount of extra hit on the server is negligible. I'm starting to believe that
you have something against anonymous users.

> ALSO, i believe that one 50 character add/delete (as discussed in previous message) should result
> in automatic write-blocking until they make the effort to write an email (or use some web
> interface) explaining their actions.

You've reached the point. This is where your proposals go from 'bad' to 'ridiculous'.
So now I should write an email each time I forget to login to the (fill in some
language I do not normally edit in) wikipedia when adding one too many interwiki
links at the same time? They are already not going well. This way, they will likely
go to a complete halt.

> There are NO anonymity/privacy issues from making someone register.

Maybe not. But there are other issues. Such as some people simply not wanting to,
getting logged out all the time or not wanting to accept cookies. To name just a
few.

Andre Engels