Mailing List Archive

Amillar blocked?
Amillar wrote on [[Wikipedia talk:Bots]]:

I believe my IP address has been banned because I swamped the server with a
script. (It was retrieving and not updating, but being automated I suppose
it qualifies as a bot anyways. I thought it was slow enough, but apparently
not.) Strangely, though, my IP address does not show up in
Special:Ipblocklist. How do I go about verifying that is what happened, and
perform appropriate apologies and grovelling to get re-instated? Thanks for
any advice. -- Amillar 19:16 15 Jul 2003 (UTC)
<<<

He was later much more specific on [[User talk:Amillar]]:

The IP I'm having trouble connecting from is 216.99.203.72. Just to verify,
I resolve www.wikipedia.org as 130.94.122.199, to which I can ping and
traceroute but not open port 80. Thanks. -- Amillar 15:15 21 Jul 2003 (UTC)
<<<

I thought this sounded easy enough to fix, since I had seen a list of such
bots in the /apache/conf directory on larousse. But after some grepping, I
couldn't find any IP address in his block listed, or his domain name
(aracnet). I'm out of ideas, does anyone else know what's going on?

-- Tim Starling
Re: Amillar blocked? [ In reply to ]
Tim Starling wrote:
> Amillar wrote on [[Wikipedia talk:Bots]]:
> The IP I'm having trouble connecting from is 216.99.203.72. Just to verify,
> I resolve www.wikipedia.org as 130.94.122.199, to which I can ping and
> traceroute but not open port 80. Thanks. -- Amillar 15:15 21 Jul 2003 (UTC)
> <<<
>
> I thought this sounded easy enough to fix, since I had seen a list of such
> bots in the /apache/conf directory on larousse. But after some grepping, I
> couldn't find any IP address in his block listed, or his domain name
> (aracnet). I'm out of ideas, does anyone else know what's going on?

Ah yes, this one was so bad that I blocked the IP at the firewall level.
I've unblocked it for now, but please no funny stuff. Swamping the
server is very, VERY not cool.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)