Mailing List Archive

Duplicate user names
Brion Vibber, who may be me, wrote:

>Before we go tearing our hair out, we should probably actually *check* to
>see how many duplicate names we've got to deal with.
>
>If the number is quite small, which I expect it is, conflicts could simply
>be resolved by (consensually) renaming a few accounts.

Okay, I ran a little script to check over the user tables and spit out
names that are registered on multiple wikis which don't all match in
either e-mail address or password. I haven't yet checked any of the
accounts for activity, nor have I visually checked the e-mail addresses
for signs of similarity, nor their user pages. Certainly there are
plenty on the list that do belong to the same person. :)

False matches (can follow a chain between matching emails and password
hashes but the script didn't catch them): [2]
Den fjättrade ankan (da,de,sv,en)
Luca Masters (da,de,eo,es,fr,nl,pl,sv,en)

Partial matches: [30]
A (de,ja,pl) -- match: de,pl -- out: ja
Abc (pl,sv,en) -- match: sv,en -- out: pl
Alex (de,fr,nl,sv,en) -- match: sv,en -- out: de,fr,nl
Alvaro (meta,da,de,es,fr,nl,pl,sv,en) -- match: meta,de,es,sv,en --
match: nl,pl,da -- out: fr
Aoineko (meta,es,fr,ja) -- match: es,ja -- match: meta,fr
Brion VIBBER
(meta,sep11,cs,da,de,eo,es,fr,ja,ko,ms,nl,pl,ru,tr,zh,sv,en,he,hu,hi,sl)
-- hehe, i let one or two get out of sync :)
Calimero (nl,sv,en) -- match: sv, en -- out: nl
Chd (meta,de,eo,es,fr) -- match: meta,eo,es,fr -- out: de
Dexter (de,sv,en) -- match: sv,en -- out: de
Emma (fr,sv,en) -- match: sv,en -- out: fr
Folken (fr,sv,en) -- match: sv,en -- out: fr
Fono (de,es,pl) -- match: es,pl -- out: de
Hannes (de,sv,en) -- match: sv,en -- out: de
Harald (nl,sv,en) -- match: sv,en -- out: nl
JohnOwens (meta,de,ru) -- match: de,ru -- out: meta
Kils (da,de,es,pl,sv,en) -- match: da,de,pl,sv,en -- out: es
Mm (meta,fr,ru) -- match: meta,fr -- out: ru
Pelle (de,sv,en) -- match: sv,en -- out: de
Sakura (ja,sv,en) -- match: sv,en -- out: ja
Samuel (eo,es,fr,ja,zh) -- match: eo,fr,ja,zh -- out: es
Stefan (de,sv,en) -- match: sv,en -- out: de
Stevertigo (meta,sep11,es,ar) -- match: meta,sep11,es -- out: ar
Taw (meta,de,eo,fr,ja,pl) -- match: meta,de,eo,fr,ja -- out: pl
TeunSpaans (meta,de,nl) -- match: de,nl -- out: meta
Topory (de,es,fr,nl,pl,sv,en) -- match: de,es,fr,nl,sv,en -- out: pl
Tor (pl,sv,en) -- match: sv,en -- out: pl
Unukorno (de,eo,nl) -- all match
Willy (meta,de,es,nl) -- match: meta,es -- out: de,nl
WojPob (meta,de,pl) -- match: de,pl -- out: meta
Youssefsan (meta,de,eo,es,fr,ja,nl,pl,ru) -- match:
meta,de,eo,es,ja,nl,pl,ru -- out: fr

No two can be found to match: [98]
AGiss (meta,fr)
Aaa (de,pl)
Aki (de,ja)
Al (de,fr)
Alberto (es,fr)
Albin (de,fr)
Alexx (de,fr)
Ana (es,pl)
Andres (de,es)
Angel (es,zh)
Anna (es,pl)
Antonio (eo,es)
Arno (meta,fr)
Axel (da,de)
Barbara (es,pl)
Baruch (es,nl)
Basil (meta,de)
Ben (de,fr)
Beyer (da,de)
Boud (fr,pl)
Cezar (eo,pl)
Chris (de,fr)
Chuck Smith (meta,de)
Cicero (de,nl)
Cyril (eo,fr)
Daniel (de,bs)
Dave (de,fr)
Dug (de,pl)
Eddy (eo,es,nl)
Erich Nohe (de,es)
Flo (de,fr)
Flor (de,es)
Frank (de,ja,nl,zh)
Fritz (de,nl)
General Wesc (meta,es)
Geralmor (meta,es)
Hannibal (fr,pl)
Hans (da,de,es)
Iris (de,nl)
James (meta,es)
Jerry (fr,pl)
Jim (meta,de)
Jojo (de,nl)
Joselo (es,fr)
Juan (es,ja)
Jul (meta,fr)
Julian (de,es)
Kale (de,nl)
Kid (de,es)
Kriss (fr,pl)
Laura (es,pl)
Leonardo (de,es)
Leonidas (de,es)
Lila (de,pl)
Lucas (es,nl)
M (pl,ru)
Marc (de,fr,nl)
Marian (de,pl)
Mario (de,es)
Marisa (de,es)
Mars (pl,zh)
Martin (fr,nl)
Max (de,es)
Med (meta,fr)
Miguel (eo,es)
Miroslav Malovec (cs,eo)
Mk (de,ja)
Mrwojo (meta,eo,fr)
Mswake (meta,fr)
Murat (de,tr)
Nabla (de,pl)
Nick (de,nl)
Ok (meta,zh)
Pablo (es,pl)
Paolo (de,es)
Paul (eo,zh)
Peter (de,nl)
Pieter (meta,cs,nl)
Qwerty (fr,nl)
Rafael (eo,es)
Rene (de,es)
Seb (meta,fr)
Sebastian (de,es,fr)
Sergio (de,es)
Shark (de,nl)
Simon (de,zh)
Snow (de,zh)
Solar (pl,zh)
Spade (da,de)
TJ (meta,de)
Tadeusz (da,pl)
Thomas (de,fr)
Toto (de,fr,ja,zh)
Victor (es,nl,ru)
Vladimir (eo,es)
Wolf (de,es)
Woody (fr,nl)
1 (ja,zh)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Duplicate user names [ In reply to ]
> Okay, I ran a little script to check over the user tables and spit out
> names that are registered on multiple wikis which don't all match in
> either e-mail address or password. I haven't yet checked any of the
> accounts for activity, nor have I visually checked the e-mail addresses
> for signs of similarity, nor their user pages. Certainly there are
> plenty on the list that do belong to the same person. :)

Not bad, but still not that good, I still would like to propose my system
since its easy to implement, it centralizes usernames into one table. and it
allows us to implement the wikimedia login system without disrupting service
or breaking anything, all it would take is a couple of changes to the user
login code. the basics are simple, the rest, like the alias system can be
worked in at a later time...

I have since changed my idea bit though, I like timwi's idea of using the
LJ-style userprop & userproplist tables. I reallythink that the user table
should have as little columns as possible, say something like "e-mail,
username, userId, password hash, registration date" and thats it. im even
sketchy about registration date.
Re: Duplicate user names [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote in relatively small part:

>Okay, I ran a little script to check over the user tables and spit out
>names that are registered on multiple wikis which don't all match in
>either e-mail address or password.

I've found an error in your results --
either that, or I don't understand their presentation.

>False matches:
[Contains no "Miguel".]

>Partial matches:
[Contains no "Miguel".]

>No two can be found to match:
>Miguel (eo,es)

So what about [[en:User:Miguel]], who also exists?
(And is the only of the 3 to have any user contibutions!)

-- Toby
Re: Duplicate user names [ In reply to ]
Toby Bartels wrote:

>>No two can be found to match:
>>Miguel (eo,es)
>>

>So what about [[en:User:Miguel]], who also exists?
>(And is the only of the 3 to have any user contibutions!)

Urps, bug in my script didn't count the English wiki properly. :)

New results, now also with a vagueified cache-update time* count of
edits (from old table) by each account; accounts with no edits are
discarded from this version:

* should be reset on each login, save of preferences, or watch/unwatch
of page. An active user is fairly likely to trip an update to this field.

False matches, determined by checking chaining of common email/pwd hashes or
user pages clearly showing a common user:

AGiss (meta,fr) (user page says same)
Alvaro (meta,de,es,fr,nl,pl,sv,en) (one well-known id)
Aoineko (meta,es,fr,ja,en) (one well-known id)
BoogieMan (zh,en) (same)
Brion VIBBER
(meta,sep11,cs,da,de,eo,es,fr,ja,ko,ms,nl,pl,ru,tr,zh,sv,en,he,hu,hi,sl)
(same!)
Carey Evans (meta,en) (same)
Castor (fr,en) (same)
Chd (meta,de,en) (same)
Chuck Smith (meta,de,en) (same)
Den fj?ttrade ankan (da,de,sv,en)
Elian (meta,de,en) (same)
EntmootsOfTrolls (meta,fr,en) (same)
Fred Bauder (meta,en) (same)
Isis (meta,en) (same)
JohnOwens (meta,de,ru,en) (known good id)
Juanan (es,en) (presumed same; this is the guy who runs Enciclopedia Libre)
Kils (da,de,es,pl,sv,en)
Luca Masters (da,de,eo,es,fr,nl,pl,sv)
Macar (cs,es,pl,en) (same)
Maveric149 (meta,sep11,de,es,en,textbook,quote,wiktionary)
Miroslav Malovec (cs,eo) (same)
Quintessent (fr,en) (same)
Roan (nl,en) (same)
SJK (meta,en) (same)
Saprtacus (meta,en) (same)
Scott REDD (eo,en) (same)
Steffen (de,en) (same)
Stevertigo (meta,sep11,en,ar) (same)
SwPawel (pl,en) (same)
Taw (meta,de,eo,fr,ja,pl,en) (known id, same)
Tbc (meta,en) (same)
TeunSpaans (meta,de,nl,en) (presumed same; single meta edit)
Unukorno (de,eo,nl,en)
WojPob (meta,de,pl,en) (same)
Youssefsan (meta,de,eo,es,fr,nl,pl,en) (known id, same)

Pretty sure they're *not* the same people:
Alex (fr,nl,sv,en) (separate fr, en pages; look like different people)
[fr] (inactive since April) 117
[nl] (inactive since April) 1
[sv] (inactive since April) 2
[en] (active in July) 267
Arno (meta,fr,en) (fr, en appear to be separate folks)
[meta] (active in July) 1
[en] (active in July) 1092

[fr] (inactive since June) 84
Triton (de,en) (look unrelated)
[de] (inactive since April) 56
[en] (inactive since June) 302

----

Dupe names, but not same email or password:
A.Tigges (de,en)
[de] (active in July) 1
[en] (active in July) 30
Al (de,fr)
[de] (inactive since April) 19
[fr] (inactive since June) 1
Albin (de,fr)
[de] (inactive since June) 2
[fr] (active in July) 101
Alex Anlicker (de,en)
[de] (active in July) 806
[en] (inactive since May) 4
Chris (fr,en)
[fr] (inactive since April) 1
[en] (inactive since April) 23
Cicero (de,nl)
[de] (inactive since June) 25
[nl] (active in July) 6
Cluster (de,en)
[de] (active in July) 13
[en] (inactive since May) 70
Cyril (eo,fr)
[eo] (inactive since April) 3
[fr] (inactive since May) 5
Dave (de,fr)
[de] (inactive since June) 16
[fr] (inactive since April) 34
Dexter (de,sv)
[de] (inactive since May) 1
[sv] (active in July) 282
Dlloader (zh,en)
[zh] (active in July) 42
[en] (inactive since April) 25
Folken (fr,sv)
[fr] (inactive since April) 1
[sv] (inactive since April) 6
Fono (de,es,en)
[de] (active in July) 25

[es] (active in July) 1
[en] (active in July) 1
Fritz (de,en)
[de] (active in July) 2946
[en] (inactive since May) 3
G (ja,en)
[ja] (active in July) 1736
[en] (active in July) 40
Gamma (es,en)
[es] (inactive since April) 2
[en] (active in July) 106
Gebeleizis (eo,en)
[eo] (active in July) 8
[en] (active in July) 33
General Wesc (meta,es,en)
[meta] (inactive since May) 3
[es] (inactive since April) 2
[en] (active in July) 460
Gihelle (fr,en)
[fr] (inactive since April) 27
[en] (inactive since April) 4
Graham Chapman (meta,en)
[meta] 20030326083933 13
[en] (inactive since April) 394
H. Jonat (de,en) (same)
[de] (inactive since April) 59
[en] (inactive since April) 671
Herodotus (nl,en)
[nl] (inactive since June) 3
[en] (inactive since April) 1
Hirzel (de,en)
[de] (inactive since April) 35
[en] (active in July) 722
Igor (pl,en)
[pl] (inactive since June) 27
[en] (inactive since June) 13
Jacco (nl,en)
[nl] (inactive since June) 1
[en] (active in July) 5
Jb (cs,en)
[cs] (inactive since April) 2
[en] (inactive since April) 1
Jerome (fr,en)
[fr] (inactive since April) 2
[en] (inactive since April) 5
Jerry (fr,pl)
[fr] (active in July) 6
[pl] (active in July) 486
Jojo (de,en)
[de] (inactive since May) 10
[en] (inactive since April) 2
Juergen (de,en)
[de] (inactive since June) 549
[en] (inactive since April) 14
K (ja,en)
[ja] (active in July) 50
[en] (inactive since April) 1
Kid (de,es)
[de] (active in July) 2
[es] (inactive since April) 1
Klaus (de,en)
[de] (inactive since April) 10
[en] (inactive since May) 102
Leo (de,en)
[de] (inactive since May) 1
[en] (inactive since April) 1
Leonardo (de,es)
[de] (active in July) 74
[es] (inactive since April) 42
Maciek (pl,en)
[pl] (inactive since May) 14
[en] (inactive since April) 1
Magnus (de,en)
[de] (active in July) 1903
[en] (inactive since June) 170
Marc (de,fr,nl)
[de] (active in July) 37
[fr] (inactive since April) 13
[nl] (active in July) 1
Marian (de,pl,en)
[pl] (inactive since April) 7

[de] (inactive since April) 2
[en] (inactive since April) 52
Marta (pl,en)
[pl] (inactive since April) 18
[en] (inactive since April) 5
Marymary (de,es,en)
[de] (inactive since May) 3
[es] (inactive since May) 3

[en] (inactive since May) 91
Max (de,en)
[de] (inactive since April) 2
[en] (inactive since April) 2
Med (meta,fr,en)
[meta] (inactive since March) 1

[fr] (active in July) 1613
[en] (inactive since June) 6
Milan (de,en)
[de] (inactive since June) 2
[en] (inactive since April) 5
Nick (de,nl)
[de] (inactive since May) 4
[nl] (active in July) 112
Oliver (eo,en)
[eo] (inactive since April) 4
[en] (inactive since April) 17
Pascal (de,en)
[de] (inactive since June) 10
[en] (active in July) 54
Paul (eo,zh,en)
[eo] (active in July) 1339
[zh] (inactive since April) 1
[en] (active in July) 41
Pelle (de,sv)
[de] (active in July) 1
[sv] (inactive since April) 33
Pieter (cs,nl)
[cs] (inactive since June) 40
[nl] (active in July) 2162
Prometeo (es,en)
[es] (inactive since April) 6
[en] (inactive since April) 3
Qwerty (fr,nl,en)
[fr] (inactive since April) 2
[en] (inactive since April) 1

[nl] (inactive since April) 1
Reinhard (de,en)
[de] (inactive since April) 17
[en] (inactive since June) 41
Rune (da,en)
[da] (inactive since May) 6
[en] (active in July) 1
Sebastian (de,fr)
[de] (inactive since April) 789
[fr] (inactive since April) 1
Shaihulud (fr,en)
[fr] (active in July) 1806
[en] (inactive since April) 4
Sjc (meta,en)
[meta] (inactive since March) 4
[en] (inactive since May) 4659
Spino (es,en)
[es] (active in July) 1
[en] (active in July) 13
Stefan (sv,en)
[sv] (inactive since June) 14
[en] (active in July) 47
TJ (meta,de)
[meta] (active in July) 4
[de] (active in July) 4
Thomas (de,fr,en)
[de] (inactive since April) 18

[fr] (inactive since May) 1
[en] (inactive since June) 70
Topory (de,es,fr,nl,pl,sv,en)
[de] (inactive since June) 20
[es] (inactive since June) 2
[fr] (inactive since June) 2
[nl] (inactive since June) 2
[sv] (inactive since April) 3
[en] (active in July) 184

[pl] (active in July) 6551
Toto (de,ja)
[de] (active in July) 105
[ja] (inactive since June) 1
Victor (es,ru)
[es] (inactive since April) 1
[ru] (inactive since April) 6
Vinci (de,en)
[de] (active in July) 522
[en] (inactive since April) 1
Willy (meta,de,es)
[meta] (active in July) 33
[es] (active in July) 76

[de] (inactive since April) 9
Wing (de,en)
[de] (active in July) 229
[en] (inactive since April) 28
Wizzer (meta,en)
[meta] (inactive since March) 1
[en] (inactive since June) 37
Wshun (zh,en)
[zh] (inactive since April) 3
[en] (active in July) 543

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Duplicate user names [ In reply to ]
What about me? There's a "Magnus" on de and en, but that's not me. I am
(at least) in de and en as "Magnus Manske", as well as in text,
textbook, meta, ...
Re: Duplicate user names [ In reply to ]
Lightning wrote in part:

>I have since changed my idea bit though, I like timwi's idea of using the
>LJ-style userprop & userproplist tables. I reallythink that the user table
>should have as little columns as possible, say something like "e-mail,
>username, userId, password hash, registration date" and thats it. im even
>sketchy about registration date.

Actually, even e-mail isn't central to our user management.
Quite a few users have no e-mail address -- none is required.
I say "userId, username, password hash" -- that identifies the user.
The rest -- even e-mail -- is for specific tasks of one sort or another,
the material for userproplist.

-- Toby