Mailing List Archive

a spot for WP textbook devel
Hey guys I think this is important so I'm forwarding
this to this list. Does anybody besides Brion know
how/have enough access to set up a blank wiki at a
"sub"-domain?

This is definitely something we want in the Wikimedia
family so why not let somebody start working on it
now?
-------

Hi, I'd like to ask a developer to open up a spot on
Wikipedia to start developing Wiki textbooks. I have a
physics book that is part written and bits of an
organic textbook that I started on Wikipedia before it
was deleted ("Wikipedia is not the place for
textbooks"). Maveric149 suggested I write to the
developers asking for a blank spot to be opened at
http://textbook.wikipedia.org until a permanant name
for the planned Wiki textbook site could be arranged.

I would be honored and grateful if you could fulfill
my request. Thanks!

Karl Wick (User name:Karlwick)

>When I came accross Wikipedia I thought that its
underlying software and concept would be great for
putting my physics book on the web. If other people
have a similar idea I'd rather be part of the larger
effort. Maybe my organizational or "visionary" ideas
are not of use to you right now but if you can help me
have a place to start getting stuff on the web, I'll
do it, and it wont be bad stuff. (I dont have much IT
background so it would probably take me a real long
time to figure out how to do all of the
technical part anyway). BTW I think that hypertext
textbooks will eventually be even better learning
tools than the traditional ones ... and am eager to
start proving it. ---Karlwick

>If you are eager to get to work then ask a developer
via the mailing list to set-up
http://textbook.wikipedia.org with a blank Wiki. We
can use what you have already to work out
organizational issues and hopefully in time we can
think of a snappy name that will help draw-in
contributors.

The worst thing that would happen is that nobody will
be very interested in the idea and that wiki will be a
lonely place (like our Sep11wiki). --Maveric149

http://sbc.yahoo.com
Re: a spot for WP textbook devel [ In reply to ]
Daniel Mayer wrote:

>>If you are eager to get to work then ask a developer
>>

>via the mailing list to set-up
>http://textbook.wikipedia.org with a blank Wiki. We
>can use what you have already to work out
>organizational issues and hopefully in time we can
>think of a snappy name that will help draw-in
>contributors.
>
>The worst thing that would happen is that nobody will
>be very interested in the idea and that wiki will be a
>lonely place (like our Sep11wiki). --Maveric149

textbooks.wikipedia.org seems better to me: more than one textbook
project may be desirable, and they can be listed on the Main Page of
http://textbooks.wikipedia.org/ as well as having their own entry pages
eg. http://textbooks.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_chemistry

-- Neil