Mailing List Archive

Viewing deleted pages (Was: Countering the vandals who attack users (not just pages))
Jens Frank wrote:

>Anthere wrote:

>>Toby Bartels wrote:

>>><http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special%3AUndelete&target=xxx>

>>That is great ! Just needs to be seeable by anyone.
>>The sysop status could be just necessary to hit the button

>I don't think this should be available to the public.
>Currently, copyrighted material is just deleted, but
>can still be reached by sysops for inspection or
>undeletion. We can't make those pages available.

If you really think that this can't be made viewable by just anybody,
then aren't you concerned about the many copyright infrigements
that remain visible all over Wikipedia in various pages' edit histories?

Deleted pages are not the same thing as copyright infringments.
Not all (or most) deleted pages are copyright infringements,
nor or all (or most?) copyright infringements on deleted pages.
If it's a problem that copyrighted material remains on Wikipedia,
albeit buried in rarely visited places that spiders don't archive,
then we should address *that* issue, which remains outstanding.
But it's irrelevant to Anthere's IMO reasonable desire
to view the text of deleted pages on wikis where she's not an admin.

I hope that our practice of simply burying copyrighted material,
when it's added to old pages, isn't really a problem,
since we can remove it by special actions on the database
if ever a complaint is lodged, thus avoiding liability.
The only problem should be if the material remains
on the current version of some page,
leading to its incorporation into future edits.
But if I'm wrong, then continuing to block ordinary users
from viewing the content of recently deleted pages
does little if anything to address the issue.

-- Toby
Viewing deleted pages (Was: Countering the vandals who attack users (not just pages)) [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:

>Anthere wrote:

>>That is great ! Just needs to be seeable by anyone.
>>The sysop status could be just necessary to hit the button

>And to view the text of the individual deleted revisions. I'm sure you
>meant to say that, instead of bringing up that old, long-answered question
>again.

That's just what *I* thought that Anthere was bringing up again.
What else would one expect a nonadmin to see on that page?

-- Toby
Re: Viewing deleted pages [ In reply to ]
Toby-
> That's just what *I* thought that Anthere was bringing up again.
> What else would one expect a nonadmin to see on that page?

At most a mere list of previous revisions, so as to see who wrote them.
The text of deleted pages will remain hidden to non-sysops, for a variety
of reasons which have been discussed ad nauseum.

As for copyright infringements in article histories, this may be a reason
to have a "delete this revision" function.

Regards,

Erik
Re: Viewing deleted pages [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:

>Toby Bartels wrote:

>>That's just what *I* thought that Anthere was bringing up again.
>>What else would one expect a nonadmin to see on that page?

>At most a mere list of previous revisions, so as to see who wrote them.

I think that this would be an improvement.
It's really up to Anthère to say what she's looking for, however;
my interest is in her happiness (and that of users like her),
since I can see this stuff anyway on the only wiki that I participate in much.

>The text of deleted pages will remain hidden to non-sysops, for a variety
>of reasons which have been discussed ad nauseum.

I know that it came up before, but I only remember the copyright problems.
I think that there were more ... but I can't find it on the archives!
(Has anybody written a search engine for them yet? -- besides Google?)
Do you remember when this came up before?

>As for copyright infringements in article histories, this may be a reason
>to have a "delete this revision" function.

Yes, I think that this would be a good idea --
*if* we are in any danger from these infringements
(either legally or nonlegally).
Remember that <robots.txt> hides them from (most) spiders.

-- Toby