Mailing List Archive

Support for booksources page added
In CVS:

Analogous to [[Wikipedia:Recentchanges]], I have added support for
[[Wikipedia:Book sources]] (which must be named as the localized version
of the "Book sources" special page title, e.g. "Wikipedia:Buchhandlungen"
for German). The content of this page, if present, will be used instead of
the short text in Language.php, and can be openly edited.

All instances of the text "WIKI-ISBN" are automatically substituted with
the ISBN number from the query.

If "Book sources" is called without an ISBN number, the standard text is
displayed.

Rationale:

We've had discussions on whether it is OK to link to certain book sellers.
I don't want to encourage a renewed flamewar; rather, instead of removing
certain sellers, we can now annotate them with links to their business
practices so that readers can make an informed choice (on the basis of
NPOV, of course).

We can also use this space to explain a little more how ISBNs can be used,
and what other methods there are to locate books. And I'm sure some
readers have catalogs which they would like to add to the list.

Other than this, the functionality of the book sources page has not been
changed, so neat stuff like automated author searches is not yet possible.
But it's a start.

Regards,

Erik
Re: Support for booksources page added [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 19 May 2003, Erik Moeller wrote:
> In CVS:
>
> Analogous to [[Wikipedia:Recentchanges]], I have added support for
> [[Wikipedia:Book sources]] (which must be named as the localized version
> of the "Book sources" special page title, e.g. "Wikipedia:Buchhandlungen"
> for German). The content of this page, if present, will be used instead of
> the short text in Language.php, and can be openly edited.

Cool! This should solve the debate nicely. Or at least move it into a more
active, productive state. :D

> All instances of the text "WIKI-ISBN" are automatically substituted with
> the ISBN number from the query.

Hmm, would you consider something like {{ISBN}} to match the current
variable replacement syntax?

I've put it up on test.wikipedia.org (slight code style tweaks and
potential apostrophe bug fix in CVS), please play with it.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Support for booksources page added [ In reply to ]
Brion-
> Hmm, would you consider something like {{ISBN}} to match the current
> variable replacement syntax?

Originally I wanted to use $isbn, but both this and {{ISBN}} have the same
problem; if I use them in a link:

* [http://www.foo.com/bar?{{ISBN}} bookshop]

The link no longer gets rendered on the [[Wikipedia:Book sources]] page
(no proper url regex match). Although it would still work after the
replacement, I considered that too confusing.

> I've put it up on test.wikipedia.org (slight code style tweaks and
> potential apostrophe bug fix in CVS), please play with it.

Doing right now ..

Regards,

Erik