It's also high time we move the mailing lists to the other server so we
can still communicate during downtime...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Drive of doom [ In reply to ]
> (Brion Vibber <vibber@aludra.usc.edu>):
>
> I'd also recommend upgrading our old kernel to a current 2.4.x to ensure
> that drivers are current; Jason may be recompiling anyway for serial
> console support, so two birds with one stone.

Jason, if you want to move IPs again, Brion and I finally got the
read-only backup thing working on larousse, about 10 seconds before
pliny came back to life (in fact, when I went to add the note "this
is a read-only backup" to the main page, I ended up adding it to the
live wiki :)

At any rate, if you do that again, I can get the read-only backup
going quickly if you notify me (mail to wikidown is fine). Of course
larousse by itself drags to a crawl with high traffic, even read-only,
because it's not quite as hefty a server.

> It's also high time we move the mailing lists to the other server so
> we can still communicate during downtime...

Since both pliny and larousse are going to be used for the live wiki,
I see no point at all in moving the lists from one to the other. They
need to be on a completely different server--even offsite, if possible.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,
Re: Drive of doom [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 9 May 2003, Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:
> At any rate, if you do that again, I can get the read-only backup
> going quickly if you notify me (mail to wikidown is fine). Of course
> larousse by itself drags to a crawl with high traffic, even read-only,
> because it's not quite as hefty a server.

Well, if we get around to the prettified static-HTML mirrorable version
that's been discussed, that would be preferable to the database-driven
live version for emergency purposes.

But, we don't have that done yet.

> > It's also high time we move the mailing lists to the other server so
> > we can still communicate during downtime...
>
> Since both pliny and larousse are going to be used for the live wiki,
> I see no point at all in moving the lists from one to the other. They
> need to be on a completely different server--even offsite, if possible.

Offsite would be better yet, but I'd rather see them on larousse, which
does _not_ have a history of crashing once a month or so and being offline
for hours at a time, than remain on pliny.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Drive of doom [ In reply to ]
Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:
>>It's also high time we move the mailing lists to the other server so
>>we can still communicate during downtime...
> Since both pliny and larousse are going to be used for the live wiki,
> I see no point at all in moving the lists from one to the other. They
> need to be on a completely different server--even offsite, if possible.

I think you are right, Lee. If you want to move the lists, than to a host
not involved with wikipedia (DB or Apache). If they have to run on one of
the wikipedia hosts, a move is not nesseccary. If something goes wrong
there is a good chance that's hitting the mailserver too.

Smurf
--
------------------------- Anthill inside! ---------------------------
Re: Drive of doom [ In reply to ]
> (Brion Vibber <vibber@aludra.usc.edu>):
>
> Well, if we get around to the prettified static-HTML mirrorable version
> that's been discussed, that would be preferable to the database-driven
> live version for emergency purposes.

That sounds like a good next high-proirity project for me, and doesn't
sound too tricky. A PHP script in the maintenance directory that just
rendered every page in the cur table into an appropriate file system
hierarchy would do the trick. And doing incremental updates.

Pushing new syntax out another month....

Re: Drive of doom [ In reply to ]
what about having the lists on sourceforge's servers????

Will

Re: Drive of doom [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 9 May 2003, Lightning wrote:
> what about having the lists on sourceforge's servers????

I don't think we'd have the same control there, and I don't think we could
make the move transparent.

What we'd like to be able to do is just set up mailman on the other
location, change our DNS records to point to the new machine as
the mail server for the wikipedia.org domain, and let mail move over there
automatically as the new DNS gets picked up.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Drive of doom [ In reply to ]
We (at Bomis) do have another server that could run the mailing lists
that is almost unrelated to wikipedia. It's the server that wikipedia
started out on, which still hosts some of the old UseMod wikis.

I haven't spoken to Jimmy about this, but I think he was considering
allowing wikipedia to use the server to host the mailing lists.

Jason