I put this in as a Bug report, but I'm not sure I made myself
clear. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Thanks.
Re: Search results - please let people know search is disabled. [ In reply to ]
> (David A. Wheeler <dwheeler@dwheeler.com>):
> When I type in a search request, e.g., "Unix" or "Europe",
> Wikipedia reports "No article title matches" - even if there's
> an EXACT match that "Go" will find.

Hmm. I just got lots of article title matches on both of those.
Are you sure you're not reporting something that happened last
night while I was rebuilding the text indexes?

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,
Re: Search results - please let people know search is disabled. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 8 May 2003, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> When I type in a search request, e.g., "Unix" or "Europe",
> Wikipedia reports "No article title matches" - even if there's
> an EXACT match that "Go" will find.

I've gone ahead and re-enabled the title search for now.

It may make more sense to just replace 'search' with the 'go' function at
this point...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Search results - please let people know search is disabled. [ In reply to ]
> (Brion Vibber <vibber@aludra.usc.edu>):
> On Thu, 8 May 2003, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> > When I type in a search request, e.g., "Unix" or "Europe",
> > Wikipedia reports "No article title matches" - even if there's
> > an EXACT match that "Go" will find.
>
> I've gone ahead and re-enabled the title search for now.
>
> It may make more sense to just replace 'search' with the 'go' function at
> this point...

When the new server comes up, it might well be possible to re-enable
general text searching. If not, at least title searching.

What /would/ be nice though is if the "Go" button were first, and I'll
do that if I don't hear any objections.

Re: Search results - please let people know search is disabled. [ In reply to ]

Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> replied:
> Hmm. I just got lots of article title matches on both of those.
> Are you sure you're not reporting something that happened last
> night while I was rebuilding the text indexes?

No, it's been happening for over a week.

Brion Vibber <vibber@aludra.usc.edu> then said:
> I've gone ahead and re-enabled the title search for now.

Hooray! Thank you very much! Title search is a really useful
feature, and I'm glad to see it back.

If you ever have to disable it again, it'd be nice if the
search results said so ("Sorry, title search has been disabled")
and at least identified any exact match. But
hopefully disabling title search won't be necessary again.

Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> said:
> What /would/ be nice though is if the "Go" button were first, and
> I'll do that if I don't hear any objections.

No objections. In fact, that's a good thing.
I know that I had a blindness to that particular button - I
always hit "search" and never even noticed "go".
That's probably because mentally I wanted to find something...
so once I saw "search", I pressed it, because that was
"obviously" what I wanted to do.