Mailing List Archive

Ad-hoc changes
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:
> Brion, now's the time to clean up all the ad-hoc changes made to
> the live wikis and get them into LocalSettings. I'm sure there are
> a few I've missed--can you get me a complete list?

Off the top of my head:

Code changes:
* Disabling updating and display of page counters on the English wiki

Style sheet changes:
* Paragraph indentation tweak for Chinese
* Background color for meta

And there are a number of things for Wiktionary that need to get into the
code; mainly a zillion instances of "Wikipedia" changed to "Wiktionary",
that still needs to get generalized. It's also behind on database schema
updates, I suspect.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Ad-hoc changes [ In reply to ]
> (Brion Vibber <vibber@aludra.usc.edu>):
> [Configuration info]

Here's a thought: when we get the new server up, let's install the
English wiki cleanly from the distribution, make sure it's all happy,
then do the switch, _leaving the foreign wikis on the old server_ for
a while, then do the same thing for each of the foreign ones in turn,
updating them to the newest software, and making everything in sync,
before we shut down apache on the old server.

Any problems with that?

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,
RE: Ad-hoc changes [ In reply to ]
The only issue I see would be if database threads crowd out apache on
the old server, and all the foreign wiki's go down, while the English
wiki stays up. This could create new tensions with the foreign wiki's.

RE: Ad-hoc changes [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Mark Christensen wrote:
> The only issue I see would be if database threads crowd out apache on
> the old server, and all the foreign wiki's go down, while the English
> wiki stays up. This could create new tensions with the foreign wiki's.

And this potential temporary situation would be different from the
present how?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
RE: Ad-hoc changes [ In reply to ]
--- Mark Christensen <mchristensen@humantech.com>
wrote:
> The only issue I see would be if database threads
> crowd out apache on
> the old server, and all the foreign wiki's go down,
> while the English
> wiki stays up. This could create new tensions with
> the foreign wiki's.

It depends on the following points

1) what does it imply that english is on one server,
and the international wikis on another ?

Does that impact only on the interwiki links ? If so,
we can very well put a message on the main page, on
the recent change and on the pump to warn users of the
event. (Were would the links go to meanwhile ?)

Are there other impacts as well ?

2) what does that mean "for a while" ? Depends on the
length of the while. A month would be an delay
difficult to accept I guess. A couple of days probably
would not.

Fact is, when an update is done on the en server, the
base is locked for quite a long time. Our updates are
of course done much more quickly. I think if you tell
internationals "everyone is down for 2 days - then all
will be set (with luck)" versus "we take care of the
english first - meanwhile your wikis are up - and we
will take of you one after the others within 5 days",
the second option could maybe be preferred.

Of course, I have no idea of what delay means :-)

http://search.yahoo.com
RE: Ad-hoc changes [ In reply to ]
--- Brion Vibber <vibber@aludra.usc.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Mark Christensen wrote:
> > The only issue I see would be if database threads
> crowd out apache on
> > the old server, and all the foreign wiki's go
> down, while the English
> > wiki stays up. This could create new tensions
> with the foreign wiki's.
>
> And this potential temporary situation would be
> different from the
> present how?
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

This is not a very nice comment Brion. I think people
are very tired of the server being very very slow, and
will be quite tolerant

At least, I hope so.

http://search.yahoo.com
Re: Ad-hoc changes [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 04:13:26PM -0500, Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:
> > (Brion Vibber <vibber@aludra.usc.edu>):
> > [Configuration info]
>
> Here's a thought: when we get the new server up, let's install the
> English wiki cleanly from the distribution, make sure it's all happy,
> then do the switch, _leaving the foreign wikis on the old server_ for
> a while, then do the same thing for each of the foreign ones in turn,
> updating them to the newest software, and making everything in sync,
> before we shut down apache on the old server.
>
> Any problems with that?

Will this conflict with the image upload area? I remember some
languages using english images and thereby creating "pseudo-orphans".

Regards,

JeLuF