Mailing List Archive

New SpezialPage: qualifier?
In the German wikipedia a list of the used qualifiers in the titles was
discussed, and most of the participants think it will be a interesting feature.

I know I have expressed it wrong, therefore an example:

Cell (biology) is a homonym (cell) with a qualifier (biology). To get a
proper list of those qualifiers and modify or eliminate wrong ones, a list
would be very helpful.

The discussion result was that such a unique list of those qualifiers from
titles (table cur) and bl_to (brokenlinks) would make sense.

Unfortunally I can give you only a proper PostgerSQL select statement (only
table cur) but possibly someone can transfer this easy to mySQL:

======== WARNING: THIS IS NOT A VALID STATEMENT FOR WIKIPEDIA ==========
SELECT DISTINCT substring(cur_title FROM '.+\\((.+)\\)') AS p FROM cur;
========================= I WARNED YOU =================================
-- "\\(" ==> ( (needed for quoting)
-- (.+) ==> the () - construct is used to select the part substring will
return.

For the titles "foo", "foo (bar)", "foo2 (bar)" and "bar (foo)" the result
will be "bar" and "foo".

This should only show the as-is state of these qualifiers! There is no
intention for any automated process to enforce them, because no Wikipedian
should get an error like "Qualifier not allowed" or so. This page is only
for administrational and informational purposes!

Of course additional features, like showing the matched pages and others,
would be nice, but there the discussion must go on further, IMHO.

If there are more questions, ask, I will try to answer them.

Smurf
--
------------------------- Anthill inside! ---------------------------
Re: New SpezialPage: qualifier? [ In reply to ]
Thomas Corell wrote:
> In the German wikipedia a list of the used qualifiers in the titles was
> discussed, and most of the participants think it will be a interesting
> feature.
>
> I know I have expressed it wrong, therefore an example:
>
> Cell (biology) is a homonym (cell) with a qualifier (biology). To get a
> proper list of those qualifiers and modify or eliminate wrong ones, a
> list would be very helpful.

On the German Wikipedia:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3AListe_der_Homonymzus%E4tze
I now have the MySQL code to get these simple lists. Currenly the generated
lists are on my server at home, but to get an impression it will be
sufficient.

The MySQL code comes with no warrany ;) On my Test-Wikipedia @home it rums
fine. Don't know how much trouble it couse on live-wikipedia.
Possibly the next hack will be a SpecialPage....

--
Smurf

smurf@AdamAnt.mud.de