that isn't part of my skin. :)

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
"Nick Reinking" skribis:
> Okay, how about now? Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Original: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit.html
> Minimal: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit-minimal.html
>
> Note that I think the footer (on all the pages) should be changed from
> 'It was last modified...' to '(Article title) was last modified...'; but
> that isn't part of my skin. :)

Did you try to look at this with less than 700 pixel width
(with Opera and my font size, other may need another number),
so that the buttons (and part of the text) in the upper bar
wrap around? They dissapear here ...

I don't know wether (or how) one could make the height of
the upper bar flexible ...

Paul
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
Nick Reinking wrote:

>Okay, how about now? Any comments would be appreciated.
>
>Original: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit.html
>Minimal: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit-minimal.html
>
>Note that I think the footer (on all the pages) should be changed from
>'It was last modified...' to '(Article title) was last modified...'; but
>that isn't part of my skin. :)

Looking good :)

Personally I would prefer it if we stuck to the current background
colour schemes -- maybe not brilliant white but lighter than the grey
you have there (makes me think of Meta and its endless pages of
SPARCATUS !!!! ;-)

Can you make the dividing lines touch each other?
Again, my personal taste, feel free to disagree. I would say soften
them a bit -- lighter grey, or grey with a hint of colour (blue?)

Put a title on the list of language links, like "Other languages:" or
"This page in other languages".
It's great to see that list of lang links vertical instead of
horizontal!!!! :-D

mind if I have a tinker with it?

Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
> Nick Reinking wrote:
> >Okay, how about now? Any comments would be appreciated.
> >
> >Original: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit.html
> >Minimal: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit-minimal.html

I do find the general look a bit refreshing. I've been wandering around
Ward's original Wiki, and it's... while perhaps rather Spartan, also
quite comfortable. We have too much clutter in our interface. Refactor
away!

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 14:30, tarquin wrote:
> Put a title on the list of language links, like "Other languages:" or
> "This page in other languages".
> It's great to see that list of lang links vertical instead of
> horizontal!!!! :-D

That's actually going to be problematic, as the floating sidebar can't
be scrolled vertically and the limited vertical space will be quickly
used up, particularly on smaller screens. Some of our general topics
already have a dozen or more language links, and this sample sidebar
doesn't include actions for logged-in users (move, upload, watch) or
admin tasks (protect, delete).

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber schrieb:
> On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 14:30, tarquin wrote:
>
>>Put a title on the list of language links, like "Other languages:" or
>>"This page in other languages".
>>It's great to see that list of lang links vertical instead of
>>horizontal!!!! :-D
>

> That's actually going to be problematic, as the floating sidebar can't
> be scrolled vertically and the limited vertical space will be quickly
> used up, particularly on smaller screens.

How about a drop down box?

Kurt
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
> Okay, how about now? Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Minimal: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit-minimal.html

IE6 doesn't support CSS2's {position: fixed}. :(

--
Mark
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 15:01, Kurt Jansson wrote:
> Brion Vibber schrieb:
> > On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 14:30, tarquin wrote:
> >>It's great to see that list of lang links vertical instead of
> >>horizontal!!!! :-D
> >
> > That's actually going to be problematic, as the floating sidebar can't
> > be scrolled vertically and the limited vertical space will be quickly
> > used up, particularly on smaller screens.
>
> How about a drop down box?

I believe I've already answered that on wikipedia-l:

Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 06:14:03PM -0500, Mark Wojtowicz wrote:
> > Okay, how about now? Any comments would be appreciated.
> >
> > Minimal: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit-minimal.html
>
> IE6 doesn't support CSS2's {position: fixed}. :(

That's strange. I have it working right here... IE 5.2...

... for the Mac. :P

In all seriousness, IE doesn't allow you to fix elements to the
viewport. This really isn't something that can be fixed; IE's support
for standards is terribly broken, and there is nothing that I can do
about it. :( Still, there are plenty of browsers that work that fully
support these standards (IE 5/Mac, Camino, Safari, Konquerer, Mozilla,
Phoenix, Opera...)

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:30:43PM +0000, tarquin wrote:

> Nick Reinking wrote:
>
> >Okay, how about now? Any comments would be appreciated.
> >
> >Original: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit.html
> >Minimal: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit-minimal.html
> >
> >Note that I think the footer (on all the pages) should be changed from
> >'It was last modified...' to '(Article title) was last modified...'; but
> >that isn't part of my skin. :)
> >

> Looking good :)
>
> Personally I would prefer it if we stuck to the current background
> colour schemes -- maybe not brilliant white but lighter than the grey
> you have there (makes me think of Meta and its endless pages of
> SPARCATUS !!!! ;-)
>
> Can you make the dividing lines touch each other?
> Again, my personal taste, feel free to disagree. I would say soften
> them a bit -- lighter grey, or grey with a hint of colour (blue?)
>
> Put a title on the list of language links, like "Other languages:" or
> "This page in other languages".
> It's great to see that list of lang links vertical instead of
> horizontal!!!! :-D
>
> mind if I have a tinker with it?

Go ahead and tinker with it. It won't hurt my feelings. :) I stayed
with the non-touching lines (despite it being a pain in the ass) because
that is what you see on the default theme at Wikipedia. :) I think it
looks cool, anyways. I have changed the colour to the midpoint of meta
and Wikipedia (#EEEEEE).

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 03:49:12PM -0800, Brion Vibber wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 15:01, Kurt Jansson wrote:
> > Brion Vibber schrieb:
> > >
> > > That's actually going to be problematic, as the floating sidebar can't
> > > be scrolled vertically and the limited vertical space will be quickly
> > > used up, particularly on smaller screens.
> >
> > How about a drop down box?
>
> I believe I've already answered that on wikipedia-l:
>
> > > How about a drop down list box, such as the one on the TEJO site? That
> > > would be very economical as to space and give plenty of options to
> > > choose from.
> >
> > I'm generally leery of drop-down boxes as they don't show the available
> > options until you've gone to the trouble of asking what's available. And
> > if the available options are different for each page, that's going to
> > spell trouble. People will check a few times, then stop looking once
> > they've found that their language never comes up.
> >
> > Wiki is about serendipidous discovery; part of that is seeing that a link
> > to Chinese or Polish or Esperanto or Volapuk or Latin or French is
> > available without having thought to seek it out.
> >
> > However, it's a direction worth looking into.

How about a compromise? No drop-down menu, but how about letting users
select which languages they would like to see? I would be more than
happy to ignore the entire world, except for Japanese and the Queen's
Eng.... err, English.

Some of the other links should be moved elsewhere. Upload image could
be on the 'Special:Specialpages' page. Same with Bug reports, and
current events.

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:14:24PM +0100, Paul Ebermann wrote:
> "Nick Reinking" skribis:
> > Okay, how about now? Any comments would be appreciated.
> >
> > Original: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit.html
> > Minimal: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit-minimal.html
> >
> > Note that I think the footer (on all the pages) should be changed from
> > 'It was last modified...' to '(Article title) was last modified...'; but
> > that isn't part of my skin. :)
>
> Did you try to look at this with less than 700 pixel width
> (with Opera and my font size, other may need another number),
> so that the buttons (and part of the text) in the upper bar
> wrap around? They dissapear here ...
>
> I don't know wether (or how) one could make the height of
> the upper bar flexible ...

Strangely enough, Mozilla (1.0-1.3) caused corruption in the scrollbar
when "overflow: hidden;" wasn't set. If somebody knows how to get the
#topbar to be expandable without causing problems with text overla, let
me know. I'll poke around with it, and see what I can come up with.
I'm not really a CSS expert, and how it works actually works IRL is
quite fickle. :(

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:14:24PM +0100, Paul Ebermann wrote:
> "Nick Reinking" skribis:
> > Okay, how about now? Any comments would be appreciated.
> >
> > Original: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit.html
> > Minimal: http:///www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit-minimal.html
> >
> > Note that I think the footer (on all the pages) should be changed from
> > 'It was last modified...' to '(Article title) was last modified...'; but
> > that isn't part of my skin. :)
>
> Did you try to look at this with less than 700 pixel width
> (with Opera and my font size, other may need another number),
> so that the buttons (and part of the text) in the upper bar
> wrap around? They dissapear here ...
>
> I don't know wether (or how) one could make the height of
> the upper bar flexible ...

Hate to keep sending out so many emails, but trying to get this to work
for as many people as possible. Does anybody know how to make regular
hyperlinks (rather than buttons) do submits (without Javascript)?

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 16:25, Nick Reinking wrote:
> How about a compromise? No drop-down menu, but how about letting users
> select which languages they would like to see? I would be more than
> happy to ignore the entire world, except for Japanese and the Queen's
> Eng.... err, English.

That wouldn't help the common case: people using the default options,
who have never logged in, or who are not aware that languages they are
(or will become) interested in are available.

> Some of the other links should be moved elsewhere. Upload image could
> be on the 'Special:Specialpages' page. Same with Bug reports, and
> current events.

Upload needs to be better accessible from edit mode, but is less
important when viewing. 'Bug reports' must be prominently available from
any page, or we'll never get any. ;) 'Current events' IMHO is useless,
but maybe other people find it interesting. No reason to put it in
special pages, as it's not a special page...

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 16:40, Nick Reinking wrote:
> Hate to keep sending out so many emails, but trying to get this to work
> for as many people as possible. Does anybody know how to make regular
> hyperlinks (rather than buttons) do submits (without Javascript)?

I'm not aware of such a mechanism, and would consider it a gross
violation of user interface standards if there is one. Next step is "how
do I make my application installer enhance Explorer/Finder/Nautilus so
clicking on a regular file deletes it without warning?" ;)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 05:34:57PM -0800, Brion Vibber wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 16:25, Nick Reinking wrote:
> > How about a compromise? No drop-down menu, but how about letting users
> > select which languages they would like to see? I would be more than
> > happy to ignore the entire world, except for Japanese and the Queen's
> > Eng.... err, English.
>
> That wouldn't help the common case: people using the default options,
> who have never logged in, or who are not aware that languages they are
> (or will become) interested in are available.

I'm not proposing this theme replacing the common case. This theme is
for those who are ipso facto, not using the default themes. If somebody
wants a minimal theme, they will probably also want to pare down the
number of languages that are displayed. Maybe we should call these
theme 'Veteran' instead? ;)

> > Some of the other links should be moved elsewhere. Upload image could
> > be on the 'Special:Specialpages' page. Same with Bug reports, and
> > current events.
>
> Upload needs to be better accessible from edit mode, but is less
> important when viewing. 'Bug reports' must be prominently available from
> any page, or we'll never get any. ;) 'Current events' IMHO is useless,
> but maybe other people find it interesting. No reason to put it in
> special pages, as it's not a special page...

Good point, current events is already well represented on the main page.
We should put 'Rabbit' in its stead. ;) In any case, I don't have an
overflow rule on the quickbar. If it gets too long, it should get a
scrollbar, but it should still be fixed to the left.

> On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 16:40, Nick Reinking wrote:
> > Hate to keep sending out so many emails, but trying to get this to work
> > for as many people as possible. Does anybody know how to make regular
> > hyperlinks (rather than buttons) do submits (without Javascript)?
>
> I'm not aware of such a mechanism, and would consider it a gross
> violation of user interface standards if there is one. Next step is "how
> do I make my application installer enhance Explorer/Finder/Nautilus so
> clicking on a regular file deletes it without warning?" ;)

I'm sure somebody has written an extension for that already. ;) I'm
just trying to determine the height of the element. ems are great when
you are using text, but not so good where there are so many damned
buttons.

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
Nick Reinking wrote:

>Go ahead and tinker with it. It won't hurt my feelings. :) I stayed
>with the non-touching lines (despite it being a pain in the ass) because
>that is what you see on the default theme at Wikipedia. :) I think it
>looks cool, anyways. I have changed the colour to the midpoint of meta
>and Wikipedia (#EEEEEE).

I've softened the look a bit - blocks of colour instead of lines
& I've changed the DTD so Mozilla goes into standards mode rather than
Quirks.

I've switched to ems -- try scaling the fonts up now :-) the top bar and
the side bar both grow to fit

I've used part of the hack here:
http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/

to make it work in IE-6 -- the quickbar is no longer fixed, but the page
is readable :-)
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
He !

Thanks for adding a picture, for the Nick link only
displayed "server cannot be found for me"

That looks good.
I don't like too much to bottom vertical bar though.

Still, most of this article belongs to the
[[cuniculture]] article, not to the rabbit one :-)

--- tarquin <tarquin@planetunreal.com> wrote:

> Nick Reinking wrote:
>
> >Go ahead and tinker with it. It won't hurt my
> feelings. :) I stayed
> >with the non-touching lines (despite it being a
> pain in the ass) because
> >that is what you see on the default theme at
> Wikipedia. :) I think it
> >looks cool, anyways. I have changed the colour to
> the midpoint of meta
> >and Wikipedia (#EEEEEE).
> >

> I've softened the look a bit - blocks of colour
> instead of lines
> & I've changed the DTD so Mozilla goes into
> standards mode rather than
> Quirks.
>
> I've switched to ems -- try scaling the fonts up now
> :-) the top bar and
> the side bar both grow to fit
>
> I've used part of the hack here:
> http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/
>
> to make it work in IE-6 -- the quickbar is no longer
> fixed, but the page
> is readable :-)

---------------------------------
Rabbit - Wikipedia
body { margin: 0px; padding: 0px; } body.article {
background: #f8f8f8; } body.meta { background: #eef;
}/* text */a.stub, a.new, a.internal, a.external {
text-decoration: underline; }a.new { color: #CC2200;
}a.interwiki, a.external { color: #3366BB;
}a.printable { text-decoration: underline; }a.stub {
color:#772233; text-decoration:none; }form.inline {
display: inline; }h1.pagetitle { font-size:2.25em;
margin:0em; padding:0em; }h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
margin-bottom: 0; }h2 { font-size: 125%; }h3 {
font-size: 112.5%; }h4 { font-size: 106.25%; }h5 {
font-size: 103.125%; }h6 { font-size: 100%; }p.bottom
{ border-bottom: 2px solid #000000; }p.subpages {
font-size:small;}p.subtitle { padding-top: 0;
margin-top: 0; }td.top { border-bottom: 2px solid red;
}td.bottom { border-top: 2px solid green; }/*
structural */#topbar { margin-left: 9em; /* !! QB
WIDTH */ background:#eee; /* border-bottom: 1px solid
#000; */ padding: 0.25em; }#content { margin-left:
9em; /* !! QB WIDTH */ padding: 0.5em; }#quickbar {
width: 9em; /* !! QB WIDTH */ position: fixed; top:
0px; left: 0px; bottom: 0px; height:100%; padding:
0em; background-color: #eef; }#quickbar a.new { color:
#CC2200; }#quickbar h1 { font-size:1.125em;
margin:0em; padding:0em 0.3em; }#quickbar div {
margin: 0em; padding:0.5em 0.3em; border-bottom: 1px
solid #fff; }.qbsection { }.qblang { }.tbform {
text-align: right; }#footer { margin-left: 9em; /* !!
QB WIDTH */ padding: 0.5em 0.25em; background:#eee;
}#pagestats { font-size: 9pt; } /* dirty hack
for IE6. */ #quickbar { position: absolute; }
209.32.156.19 (Talk) |Log in |Help [input] [input]
[input] [input] [input] Rabbit
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
RabbitScientific
classificationKingdom:AnimaliaPhylum:ChordataClass:MammaliaOrder:LagomorphaFamily:Leporidae
Appearance Rabbits are small mammals, and come in a
wide variety of colors and sizes. They can range in
weight from approximately six to 28 pounds, and from
12 inches to several feet in length. Although wild
rabbits tend to be agouti in color, rabbits have as
much color variation among themselves as other
household pets. Their fur is prized for its softness,
and even today Angora rabbits are raised for their
long soft fur, which is often spun into yarn.
Rabbits have sharp incisors similar to those of
rodents, long ears, large hind legs, and short fluffy
tails. Rabbits move by hopping, using their long and
powerful hind legs. To facilitate quick movement,
rabbit hind feet have a thick padding of fur to dampen
the shock of rapid hopping. Their toes are long, and
are webbed to keep themselves from spreading apart as
they jump.
Diet The typical diet for a pet rabbit should consist
of water, hay, pellets, fresh vegetables, and cecal
pellets. Anything else, including fruit and other
treats should be given only in very limited
quantities, as it may cause obesity in your rabbit.
Pellets should be less than a couple months old to
insure freshness, and should consist of a minimum of
18% fiber, low protein (14-15%), and less than 1%
calcium. Depending on the amount of vegetables
available, an adult rabbit should be given between 1/4
and 1/2 cup of pellets per 6 pounds body weight daily.
Pre-adolescent and adolescent rabbits (7 months and
younger) can be given as much pellets as they can
consume, although additional vegetables are preferable
to additional pellets. An older rabbit (over six
years) can be given more pellets if they are having
difficulty maintaining a steady body weight.
Pellets were originally designed for rabbit breeders
for the purpose of providing as many calories and
vitamins as inexpensively as possible. This is
optimal when the rabbits are being bred for food or
for experimentation, but the long-term effects of a
pellet-based diet on rabbits are quite negative,
resulting in an obese, unhappy, and unhealthy rabbit.
Vegetables are essential to the health of rabbits. At
least two cups of three different vegetables per 6
lbs. of body weight should be fed to your rabbit
daily. A wide variety of vegetables will result in
the healthiest rabbit; preferably a combination of
dark green vegetables and a root vegetables. Stay
away from beans or rhubarb, as they can cause your
rabbit to become sick. Additionally, it is wise to
select vegetables that are high in Vitamin A.
To ensure that your rabbit can tolerate a specific
vegetable, add one vegetable at a time to its diet.
If the rabbit starts to act lethargic, or exhibit
diarrhea or loose stools, then discontinue use of the
new vegetable immediately. Below is a table of
vegetables considered healthy for a rabbit:
Alfalfa, radish & clover sprouts
Artichoke (Jerusalem)
Arugula
Basil
Beet greens (tops)&dagger;
Bok choy
Broccoli (mostly leaves/stems)&dagger;
Brussel sprouts
Caraway
Carrots & carrot tops&dagger;
Celery
Chard
Chives
Cilantro
Clover
Collard greens&dagger;
Cucumber
Dandelion greens and flowers (beware
pesticides)&dagger;
Dill
Endive&dagger;
Escarole
Fennel
Green peppers
Kale&dagger;&Dagger;
Lemon Balm
Lilac
Marigold
Marjoram
Mint
Mustard greens&dagger;
Parsley&dagger;
Pea pods&dagger;
Peppermint leaves
Raddichio
Radish (tops)
Raspberry leaves
Romaine lettuce (no iceberg)&dagger;
Sage
Savory
Spinach&dagger;&Dagger;
Watercress&dagger;
Wheat grass
Zucchini
&dagger; = Contains Vitamin A.&Dagger; = Contains
goitrogens and/or oxalates, and may be toxic over long
periods of time.
Hay is essential for the health of all rabbits for a
variety of reasons. A steady supply of hay will help
prevent hairballs and other digestive tract problems
in rabbits. Additionally, it provides a number of
necessary vitamins and minerals at a low calorie cost.
Rabbits should be provided with a constant, unlimited
supply of hay for their consumption. Rabbits enjoy
chewing on hay, and always having hay available for
your rabbit may reduce its tendency to chew on other
items in your house. It is also a good idea to
provide hay in your rabbit's litterbox, as rabbits
enjoying munching on food while they are defecating.
Not all hay is created equal, however. Timothy hay
and other grass hays are considered the healthiest to
provide your rabbit. As a persistently high blood
calcium level can prove harmful to your rabbit, hays
such as alfalfa and clover hay should be avoided.
Alfalfa is also relatively high in calories, and a
constant diet of it can cause obesity in rabbits.
Treats are unhealthy in large quantities for rabbits,
just as they are for humans. Most treats sold in pet
stores are filled with sugar and high calorie
carbohydrates. These should be avoided; the vitamins
they claim to provide aren't needed, since the
vegetables will provide all the vitamins your rabbit
needs. In addition, they contain high quantities of
sugar and other simple carbohydrates which will make
your rabbit obese. If you are determined to feed your
rabbit treats, the best treat to provide them with is
fruit. Below are some acceptable fruits:
Apple (no stem or seeds)
Banana&Dagger;
Blackberry
Blueberries
Cantaloupe
Grapes&Dagger;
Honeydew
Orange (including peel)
Papaya
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
Plums
Raspberries
Strawberries
Tomato
Watermelon
&Dagger = Use very sparingly, as rabbits will eat only
these, and ignore their other food.
Cecal pellets are mostly digested food that rabbits
defecate and subsequently reingest; a process known as
Coprophagia. Usually a rabbit will eat the pellets
straight from their anus, and as such, many people do
not know of this aspect of a rabbit's diet. They are
often refered to as "night pellets" or "night
droppings", since the rabbits tend to eat them a few
hours after their evening meal.
Cecal pellets are soft, smelly, clumpy feces, and are
a rabbit's only supply of Vitamin B12. Due to the
design of the rabbit's digestive system, they cannot
extract some vitamins and minerals directly from their
food. At the end of their digestive system is an area
called the cecum where cellulose and other plant
fibers are broken down and ferment. After they have
been broken down and passed, a rabbit's digestive
system can finally extract the vitamins from them.
Occasionally, your rabbit may leave these pellets
lying about their cage; while smelly, this behavior is
harmless. If their cecal pellets are consistantly wet
and runny, this may indicate either too little fiber,
or too many starches in their diet. This probably
means that they need to be fed additional hay.
Reproduction Rabbits are famed for their reproductive
capabilities. Although certainly not the strongest,
fastest, or smartest of the mammals, they have carved
out a strong ecological niche through their impressive
ability to multiply quickly. This prolificness lead
to the oft-used vulgarity, "fuck like bunnies" and the
more proper, "multiply like rabbits".
Rabbits have a very high success rate for
impregnation, due to the fact that female rabbits
ovulate at the time of copulation. The gestation
cycle for a rabbit averages 31 days, although it can
vary anywhere between 29 and 35 days. Litter sizes
generally range between two and 12 rabbits.
Rabbits have many names they are known by. In the US
(particularly), they are commonly refered to as bunny.
Young rabbits are known by the names bunny, kit, or
kitten. "Rabbit" itself used to be the word applied to
the young, with the adult being called a cony or coney
(pronounced cunny). This term fell out of useage owing
to the taboo value of a homonym, and "rabbit" became
common usage for both the young and the adult, with
"bunny" entering into use later. A male rabbit is
called a buck, and a female rabbit is called a doe. A
group of rabbits is known as a herd.
Species Notable species include the European rabbit,
Oryctolagus cuniculus, which has been domesticated and
through selective breeding has produced a wide range
of breeds of pet rabbits. The wild form is well-known
for digging networks of burrows called warrens. The
American genus Sylvilagus comprises thirteen
cottontail species.
Taxonomy Unlike hares, they are born blind and
furless, in a furlined nest, and totally dependent
upon their mother. They were classified as Rodentia
until 1912, when they were moved to the Lagomorpha
order.
Rabbits share the family Leporidae, together with the
related hares. Their order, Lagomorpha, in
addition to containing hares, also contains pikas.
Rabbits and people Rabbits are popular pets. They are
an example of an animal which is both petted and eaten
by the same culture. Snares or shotguns are usually
employed when catching rabbits for food. Dogs are
often employed in rabbit hunting. Rabbits are often
raised for meat called cuniculture. Rabbit pelts are a
widely used fur for clothing.
Because of their appetites, and the rate at which they
breed, wild rabbit depredation can prove problematic
for agriculture. Gassing, barriers (fences), shooting,
snaring and ferreting have been used to control rabbit
populations, as has the disease myxomatosis.
Rabbits in culture and literature Rabbits are often
used as a symbol of fertility. It is possibly as a
consequence of this that they have been associated
with Easter. There is a rabbit among the 12 animals
in the Chinese zodiac. Rabbits have appeared in a host
of works of film and literature, notably the White
Rabbit in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland; in the
popular novel Watership Down; and as the cartoon
character Bugs Bunny. Rabbit feet are considered
lucky, and fake rabbit feet are often sold as cheap
trinkets.
External Links http://www.rabbit.org - House Rabbit
Society

---------------------------------
See also: cuniculture, Easter Bunny, hare, Rabbit
invasion in Australia It was last modified 20:19 Mar
19, 2003. All text is available under the terms of the
GNU Free Documentation License.Wikipedia Main Page
Recent changes
Random page
Current events Edit this page
Discuss this page
Older versions
Printable version
What links here
Related changes Special pages
Bug reports Fran#231;ais
#26085;#26412;#35486; (Nihongo)

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:34:50AM +0000, tarquin wrote:

> Nick Reinking wrote:
>
> >Go ahead and tinker with it. It won't hurt my feelings. :) I stayed
> >with the non-touching lines (despite it being a pain in the ass) because
> >that is what you see on the default theme at Wikipedia. :) I think it
> >looks cool, anyways. I have changed the colour to the midpoint of meta
> >and Wikipedia (#EEEEEE).
> >

> I've softened the look a bit - blocks of colour instead of lines
> & I've changed the DTD so Mozilla goes into standards mode rather than
> Quirks.
>
> I've switched to ems -- try scaling the fonts up now :-) the top bar and
> the side bar both grow to fit
>
> I've used part of the hack here:
> http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/
>
> to make it work in IE-6 -- the quickbar is no longer fixed, but the page
> is readable :-)

Unfortunately, the topbar is also absolute in your version, that is
something that I think is very useful to have fixed (seeing as I am
often jumping from article to article, and always having an available
'Go' and 'Edit' button would be very convenient.

I know other hacks that will work with IE-6, but I didn't want to add
them in until the regular version had settled down. I will peek at your
ems code. :) Also, I miss the borders. Would people rather have the
bordered, or non-bordered version?

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 03:53:45AM -0800, Anthere wrote:
> He !
>
> Thanks for adding a picture, for the Nick link only
> displayed "server cannot be found for me"

<points out that he was linking directly against the Wikipedia image,
and if it was displaying any errors, than Brion is to blame.>
I'll move a copy to my local server and change the link.

> That looks good.
> I don't like too much to bottom vertical bar though.
>
> Still, most of this article belongs to the
> [[cuniculture]] article, not to the rabbit one :-)

I know, I know. We got that all hashed out in Talk: Rabbit (Australia).
I'll get to moving everything around one of these days.

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
Nick Reinking wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:34:50AM +0000, tarquin wrote:
>

>Unfortunately, the topbar is also absolute in your version, that is
>something that I think is very useful to have fixed (seeing as I am
>often jumping from article to article, and always having an available
>'Go' and 'Edit' button would be very convenient.

The problem with that is that with large font sizes the top bar becomes
two lines. The margin-top given to the content can't cope with that
eventuality.
At that point, it either overflows or is partially obscured :(
(I *wish* CSS absolutes & fixed could be made to affect flow!)

>I know other hacks that will work with IE-6, but I didn't want to add
>them in until the regular version had settled down. I will peek at your
>ems code. :) Also, I miss the borders. Would people rather have the
>bordered, or non-bordered version?

Like so?
I like both :-)
since the HTML is identical, we can provde alternative stylesheets --
Mozilla and Opera users will be able to choose a colour (&border) scheme :-D

Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 04:18:17PM +0000, tarquin wrote:

> Nick Reinking wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:34:50AM +0000, tarquin wrote:
> >

> >Unfortunately, the topbar is also absolute in your version, that is
> >something that I think is very useful to have fixed (seeing as I am
> >often jumping from article to article, and always having an available
> >'Go' and 'Edit' button would be very convenient.
> >
> The problem with that is that with large font sizes the top bar becomes
> two lines. The margin-top given to the content can't cope with that
> eventuality.
> At that point, it either overflows or is partially obscured :(
> (I *wish* CSS absolutes & fixed could be made to affect flow!)
>

> >I know other hacks that will work with IE-6, but I didn't want to add
> >them in until the regular version had settled down. I will peek at your
> >ems code. :) Also, I miss the borders. Would people rather have the
> >bordered, or non-bordered version?
> >

> Like so?
> I like both :-)
> since the HTML is identical, we can provde alternative stylesheets --
> Mozilla and Opera users will be able to choose a colour (&border) scheme :-D

I had actually changed the topbar to use ems last night - now,
everything up to 150% text size looks fine in Mozilla, and ever 200% is
workable. Note that a 200% zoom in Mozilla gets about 10 words to a
line, so I doubt anybody will ever zoom to that size (they will likely
use zooming tools that allow you to zoom over sections).

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
Nick Reinking wrote:

>I had actually changed the topbar to use ems last night - now,
>everything up to 150% text size looks fine in Mozilla, and ever 200% is
>workable. Note that a 200% zoom in Mozilla gets about 10 words to a
>line, so I doubt anybody will ever zoom to that size (they will likely
>use zooming tools that allow you to zoom over sections).

Let's have a fixed topbar then :-)
can we fool IE into displaying *something* reasonable for that too?
it would be great if this works on all browsers -- we can have this as
the new default skin. :-D

Have you considered using this for the left and righ portions of the
topbar instead of the table:

div.lefthalf {
text-align:left;
}
div.righthalf {
float:right;
}

Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
--- Nick Reinking <nick@twoevils.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 03:53:45AM -0800, Anthere
> wrote:
> > He !
> >
> > Thanks for adding a picture, for the Nick link
> only
> > displayed "server cannot be found for me"
>
> <points out that he was linking directly against the
> Wikipedia image,
> and if it was displaying any errors, than Brion is
> to blame.>
> I'll move a copy to my local server and change the
> link.

Brion is always the one getting blame :-(((

> > That looks good.
> > I don't like too much to bottom vertical bar
> though.
> >
> > Still, most of this article belongs to the
> > [[cuniculture]] article, not to the rabbit one :-)
>
> I know, I know. We got that all hashed out in Talk:
> Rabbit (Australia).
> I'll get to moving everything around one of these
> days.

Hu ? We ? I don't know ? Who are you ? :-)

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:46:19AM -0800, Anthere wrote:
> > > Still, most of this article belongs to the
> > > [[cuniculture]] article, not to the rabbit one :-)
> >
> > I know, I know. We got that all hashed out in Talk:
> > Rabbit (Australia).
> > I'll get to moving everything around one of these
> > days.
>
> Hu ? We ? I don't know ? Who are you ? :-)

I'm Marumari. :)

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
tarquin wrote:

> Let's have a fixed topbar then :-)
> can we fool IE into displaying *something* reasonable for that too?
> it would be great if this works on all browsers -- we can have this as
> the new default skin. :-D

what's happening with the new skin?

New design at http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/

I've been inspired by this recent discussion. (which is the artistic
way to I've copied some of Nick's ideas ;-)
Re: Minimal skin (comments desired) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 05:21:53PM +0100, tarquin wrote:

> tarquin wrote:
>

> >Let's have a fixed topbar then :-)
> >can we fool IE into displaying *something* reasonable for that too?
> >it would be great if this works on all browsers -- we can have this as
> >the new default skin. :-D
> >
> what's happening with the new skin?
>

> New design at http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/
>
> I've been inspired by this recent discussion. (which is the artistic
> way to I've copied some of Nick's ideas ;-)

Sorry, I've been busy with school lately. I should have an updated look
at http://www.twoevils.org/files/wiki/Rabbit-minimal.html in a couple
days.

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN

1 2  View All