it on the web gives me a mobile profile that I can use form any computer.

--
Richard Grevers
Re: Stylesheets suggestion. [ In reply to ]
> (Richard Grevers <dramatic@xtra.co.nz>):
> How does the user preferences table stores the user's preferred stylesheet?
> Is it just an index number, or does it contain the URI for the stylesheet?
> If the latter, may I suggest that we allow users to specify the location of
> a personal style sheet for wikipedia.
> For example, I could then take the Cologne blue stylesheet, change the
> things I don't like about it (such as the article text size) and host it on
> my own webserver*, point to it from my wkipedia preferences, et voila - a
> fully customized view of wikipedia, but I am actually reducing the load on
> the wikipedia.org servers by not getting a stylesheet from them.

Preferences only stores the index number of your skin, which indexes
the standard stylesheet of that skin. If you want to tweak the styles,
you should be able to do that with your browser, telling it to override
whatever the wikipedia stylesheet says.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,
Re: Stylesheets suggestion. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:12:18 -0600, Lee Daniel Crocker
<lee@piclab.com> wrote:

>> (Richard Grevers <dramatic@xtra.co.nz>):
>> How does the user preferences table stores the user's preferred
>> stylesheet? Is it just an index number, or does it contain the URI for
>> the stylesheet? If the latter, may I suggest that we allow users to
>> specify the location of a personal style sheet for wikipedia.
>> For example, I could then take the Cologne blue stylesheet, change the
>> things I don't like about it (such as the article text size) and host it
>> on my own webserver*, point to it from my wkipedia preferences, et voila
>> - a fully customized view of wikipedia, but I am actually reducing the
>> load on the wikipedia.org servers by not getting a stylesheet from them.
>
> Preferences only stores the index number of your skin, which indexes
> the standard stylesheet of that skin. If you want to tweak the styles,
> you should be able to do that with your browser, telling it to override
> whatever the wikipedia stylesheet says.

Unfortunately, no browser (not even Opera which would rate as the most
configurable by far) yet allows you to define a site-specific user
stylesheet with a bookmark. Does anyone think it would be worth changing
the table structure to store 80 bytes rather than a couple in order to
provide this feature?

--
Richard Grevers
Re: Re: Stylesheets suggestion. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 07:46:27AM +1200, Richard Grevers wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:12:18 -0600, Lee Daniel Crocker
> <lee@piclab.com> wrote:
>
> >>(Richard Grevers <dramatic@xtra.co.nz>):
> >>How does the user preferences table stores the user's preferred
> >>stylesheet? Is it just an index number, or does it contain the URI for
> >>the stylesheet? If the latter, may I suggest that we allow users to
> >>specify the location of a personal style sheet for wikipedia.
> >>For example, I could then take the Cologne blue stylesheet, change the
> >>things I don't like about it (such as the article text size) and host it
> >>on my own webserver*, point to it from my wkipedia preferences, et voila
> >>- a fully customized view of wikipedia, but I am actually reducing the
> >>load on the wikipedia.org servers by not getting a stylesheet from them.
> >
> >Preferences only stores the index number of your skin, which indexes
> >the standard stylesheet of that skin. If you want to tweak the styles,
> >you should be able to do that with your browser, telling it to override
> >whatever the wikipedia stylesheet says.
> >
> Unfortunately, no browser (not even Opera which would rate as the most
> configurable by far) yet allows you to define a site-specific user
> stylesheet with a bookmark. Does anyone think it would be worth changing
> the table structure to store 80 bytes rather than a couple in order to
> provide this feature?

Yeah man, that is a bummer. I do know that if you use Windows, you can
use a tool called Proxomitron, which would allow you to do regex
replaces on HTML. You could certainly change the link in that case.
Might be worth taking a look at in the meantime.

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: Re: Stylesheets suggestion. [ In reply to ]
> (Richard Grevers <dramatic@xtra.co.nz>):
> Unfortunately, no browser (not even Opera which would rate as the most
> configurable by far) yet allows you to define a site-specific user
> stylesheet with a bookmark. Does anyone think it would be worth changing
> the table structure to store 80 bytes rather than a couple in order to
> provide this feature?

I'm not opposed to the idea, and it shouldn't be a performance hit.
Put in on feature request list at SourceForge--I actually do plan
to go though that soon.

Re: Re: Stylesheets suggestion. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:41:48 -0600, Lee Daniel Crocker
<lee@piclab.com> wrote:

>> (Richard Grevers <dramatic@xtra.co.nz>):
>> Unfortunately, no browser (not even Opera which would rate as the most
>> configurable by far) yet allows you to define a site-specific user
>> stylesheet with a bookmark. Does anyone think it would be worth changing
>> the table structure to store 80 bytes rather than a couple in order to
>> provide this feature?
>
> I'm not opposed to the idea, and it shouldn't be a performance hit.
> Put in on feature request list at SourceForge--I actually do plan
> to go though that soon.

Done

--
Richard Grevers
Re: Re: Stylesheets suggestion. [ In reply to ]
>Unfortunately, no browser (not even Opera which would rate
as the most
>configurable by far) yet allows you to define a site-
specific user
>stylesheet with a bookmark. Does anyone think it would be
worth changing
>the table structure to store 80 bytes rather than a couple
in order to
>provide this feature?

Fortunately, if you use put !important like

color: #333333 !important;

you can override site specific stylesheets.
Re: Stylesheets suggestion. [ In reply to ]
"Richard Grevers" skribis:

> [...] Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> wrote:
>
> > Preferences only stores the index number of your skin, which indexes
> > the standard stylesheet of that skin. If you want to tweak the styles,
> > you should be able to do that with your browser, telling it to override
> > whatever the wikipedia stylesheet says.
>
> Unfortunately, no browser (not even Opera which would rate as the most
> configurable by far) yet allows you to define a site-specific user
> stylesheet with a bookmark. Does anyone think it would be worth changing
> the table structure to store 80 bytes rather than a couple in order to
> provide this feature?

A nice way to allow user defined style sheets per site
is yet possible ...

Bertilo uses it in his site:

http://www.bertilow.com/ttt-signaturo.php

(only in esperanto yet).

What wikipedia have to do:

add id="wikipedia-org" (or something similar)
to the <body>-elements

Then the users in their style sheets add someting like

#wikipedia-org * {
background-color: #000 !important;
color: #fff !important;
}

to get for example white on black only on
wikipedia.

Paul