Mailing List Archive

Caching Special Pages
Hello,

because of the load, the special pages produce, some of them are
disabled during 14:00 and 2:00 UTC. Unfortunaly only one of the pages is
working with a cache-file (wantedpages). And for most (europe) users the
pages are only avalible in the early morning or during working hours.

First of all I though about writing some patches for enabeling caching
for the other pages too, but after some time I thought about some more
possibilities. And I think it will helps to discuss them before starting
coding for the paperbasket.

1. We hope that the serverload will be better sometime, and the scripts
(sql-queries) will be so fast that we don't need any caching and every
byte is wasted. I don't think so.

2. We use the current system, and add it to some more pages. This will
at least have the advantage to have a information about lonlypages,
shortpages, ... even if it in the worst case 12 hours old. It's possibly
fast to get, because the code is at hand and only some copy and paste is
needed.

3. We assume that we can make the queries better, but they still will
need a lot of time to run and preventing running some of them in
parallel is what we want. Then I think a system filling the cache of
these pages in regular intervals is needed. The queries will run every
half hour or so, and every user get the cached output.

I expect your comments,
Smurf
--