Mailing List Archive

www.wikipedia.pl
So when Polish Wikipedia will be moved to www.wikipedia.pl ?
Re: www.wikipedia.pl [ In reply to ]
Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> So when Polish Wikipedia will be moved to www.wikipedia.pl ?

Who owns that domain? Is it pointed at the machine correctly? Are
they promising to turn the domain over to the nonprofit foundation at
the appropriate time?

--Jimbo
Re: www.wikipedia.pl [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 06:10:49AM -0800, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > So when Polish Wikipedia will be moved to www.wikipedia.pl ?
>
> Who owns that domain?

Kpjas

> Is it pointed at the machine correctly?

$ host pl.wikipedia.org
pl.wikipedia.org A 130.94.122.197
$ host www.wikipedia.pl
www.wikipedia.pl CNAME pl.wikipedia.org

Kpjas said:
> I really do own it but I see this domain as a property of the community of
> the Polish Wikipedia. In fact several people donated some money towards
> buying this domain. I personally seem to be in favour of transferring it to
> the nonprofit but the decision must be first agreed upon within the Polish
> Wikipedia. Now it is too soon to tell even without the slightest idea what
> the nonprofit is going to be. I think we will act the same as other
> Wikipedias (De, NL, Fr, Be). We are the Europeans ;-)

So yes, unless this foundation will be something no good.
Re: www.wikipedia.pl [ In reply to ]
Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>
>>So when Polish Wikipedia will be moved to www.wikipedia.pl ?
>>

>Who owns that domain? Is it pointed at the machine correctly? Are
>they promising to turn the domain over to the nonprofit foundation at
>the appropriate time?

Does Polish law allow the domain to be transferred to an entity outside
of Poland?
Ec.
Re: www.wikipedia.pl [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 02:01:05PM -0800, Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
> >Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> >
> >>So when Polish Wikipedia will be moved to www.wikipedia.pl ?
> >>

> >Who owns that domain? Is it pointed at the machine correctly? Are
> >they promising to turn the domain over to the nonprofit foundation at
> >the appropriate time?
> >
> Does Polish law allow the domain to be transferred to an entity outside
> of Poland?
> Ec.

Why shouldn't it ?

With exception of maybe farming land there isn't any concept
of Polish and foreign ownership in Polish law.
Re: www.wikipedia.pl [ In reply to ]
Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 02:01:05PM -0800, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>>Jimmy Wales wrote:

>>>Who owns that domain? Is it pointed at the machine correctly? Are
>>>they promising to turn the domain over to the nonprofit foundation at
>>>the appropriate time?
>>>
>>Does Polish law allow the domain to be transferred to an entity outside
>>of Poland?
>>Ec.
>>

>Why shouldn't it ?

Many countries (including Canada where I am) have rules restricting who
can own national domain names to people who have a connection with the
country.

Ec.
Re: www.wikipedia.pl [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 03:14:01PM -0800, Ray Saintonge wrote:
> >>Does Polish law allow the domain to be transferred to an entity outside
> >>of Poland?
> >
> >Why shouldn't it ?
> >
> Many countries (including Canada where I am) have rules restricting who
> can own national domain names to people who have a connection with the
> country.

But these are just rules made by ccTLD administration, not real laws passed
by the Parliament, right ?
Re: www.wikipedia.pl [ In reply to ]
Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

>>>Why shouldn't it ?
>>>
>>Many countries (including Canada where I am) have rules restricting who
>>can own national domain names to people who have a connection with the
>>country.
>>

>But these are just rules made by ccTLD administration, not real laws passed
>by the Parliament, right ?

The registering agency is a branch of the government, and they list a
series of conditions necessary for registration. If you don't fulfill
the conditions you don't get the domain registered -- simple as that!
The question of whether proper procedure was used for making this
provision into a law may be a fine legal argument, but not one where I
would spend a lot of time. Canada is not the only country with this kind
of restriction on top level domains.

Eclecticology
Re: www.wikipedia.pl [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Many countries (including Canada where I am) have rules restricting who
> can own national domain names to people who have a connection with the
> country.

And yet, I own some Canadian domains. Like all silly rules, there
are easy ways around them. The way this is typically done is that
the registrar has a connection to the country, and maintains technical
ownership in that country, while turning over all rights of use and
disposal to the real owner.