Mailing List Archive

Alphabetical sorting
An item that's been burning on my bug fix todo list for some time is
sort order.

Alphabetical ordering is used in the user account list and the 'all
pages' list (rarely used, but people like that kind of index and an
improved version should be made -- which makes correct ordering more
important), and maybe here and there elsewhere. Sort orders can vary
from language to language, and of course we have a mix of latin1 and
utf-8...

MySQL does support selectable modules for sort order -- but only on a
server-wide basis. This would not handle our multiple language issues at
all even if we switch everyone to utf-8; there is no 'universal' sort
order that will work right for every language.

One possibility is to pull another ugly hack: add a canonical-sort-key
field and have a per-language function to munge strings into something
that will sort correctly in a traditional ascii-order sort.

Better suggestions are welcome.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)