prime target for vandalism.)

I could always just edit the code, I guess, but that seems icky.

--Jimbo
Re: How hard would this be? [ In reply to ]
On ĵaŭ, 2003-02-13 at 09:47, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> How hard would it be to make [Recentchanges] editable, either just by me, or
> whatever? (This would probably need to be a protected page, as it's a
> prime target for vandalism.)

Easy as pie; the text at the top can simply be sucked from the database
instead of a string constant. Adding an "edit this page" link would
require some slight more changes if desired, but just adding
"Wikipedia:Recentchanges" and making it protected should be sufficient.

> I could always just edit the code, I guess, but that seems icky.

Ewwww! :)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: How hard would this be? [ In reply to ]
On ĵaŭ, 2003-02-13 at 10:14, Brion Vibber wrote:
> On ĵaŭ, 2003-02-13 at 09:47, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> > How hard would it be to make [Recentchanges] editable, either just by me, or
> > whatever? (This would probably need to be a protected page, as it's a
> > prime target for vandalism.)
>
> Easy as pie; the text at the top can simply be sucked from the database
> instead of a string constant. Adding an "edit this page" link would
> require some slight more changes if desired, but just adding
> "Wikipedia:Recentchanges" and making it protected should be sufficient.

Okay, go knock yourself out:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Recentchanges

If the page is missing or blank, the default text is displayed.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: How hard would this be? [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

>On ĵaŭ, 2003-02-13 at 09:47, Jimmy Wales wrote:
>

>>How hard would it be to make [Recentchanges] editable, either just by me, or
>>whatever? (This would probably need to be a protected page, as it's a
>>prime target for vandalism.)
>>

>Easy as pie;

Yes, but prior suggestions of that were turned down due to the
additional database traffic. But, I guess a single query more won't hurt :-)

Magnus
Re: How hard would this be? [ In reply to ]
On ĵaŭ, 2003-02-13 at 10:35, Magnus Manske wrote:
> Yes, but prior suggestions of that were turned down due to the
> additional database traffic. But, I guess a single query more won't hurt :-)

I can assure you, there's *far* more database traffic from checking the
existence of various linked pages (those linked in the header text as
well as user pages and user talk pages linked throughout the list).

Old code:
$wgOut->addWikiText( wfMsg( "recentchangestext" ) );

New code:

$rctext = wfMsg( "recentchangestext" );
$sql = "SELECT cur_text FROM cur WHERE cur_namespace=4 AND cur_title='Recentchanges'";
$res = wfQuery( $sql, $fname );
if( ( $s = wfFetchObject( $res ) ) and ( $s->cur_text != "" ) ) {
$rctext = $s->cur_text;
}
$wgOut->addWikiText( $rctext );

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)