is this behaviour or bug, and if the former, could there be a note about
it -- at the moment, one gets the impression that the entered data has
been lost in the ether.
Re: email prefs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, tarquin wrote:

> On the fr: or en:, I type my email into the preferences box, press the
> "save" button, and the page reloads with the text "Your preferences have
> been saved." on top
>
> but the email field is now blank.
>
> is this behaviour or bug, and if the former, could there be a note about
> it -- at the moment, one gets the impression that the entered data has
> been lost in the ether.

Question: are you using Mozilla or Netscape 6 or kin, and told the browser
to save your login & password for logging in to wikipedia?

I think this triggers a bug whereby it mistakenly believes that the
preferences form is the same as the login form, and fills in the same
value you used for the e-mail address -- probably blank.

In any case, for me the problem goes away if I clear the saved forms and
don't let it save my login.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: email prefs [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, tarquin wrote:
>

>>On the fr: or en:, I type my email into the preferences box, press the
>>"save" button, and the page reloads with the text "Your preferences have
>>been saved." on top
>>
>>but the email field is now blank.
>>
>>is this behaviour or bug, and if the former, could there be a note about
>>it -- at the moment, one gets the impression that the entered data has
>>been lost in the ether.
>>

>Question: are you using Mozilla or Netscape 6 or kin, and told the browser
>to save your login & password for logging in to wikipedia?
>

>I think this triggers a bug whereby it mistakenly believes that the
>preferences form is the same as the login form, and fills in the same
>value you used for the e-mail address -- probably blank.
>
>In any case, for me the problem goes away if I clear the saved forms and
>don't let it save my login.

Yup - Mozilla, latest "clean" release.
I'll try it. thanks :-)