Mailing List Archive

ReRe: Anthere
Hi Anthere,

I very much appreciate these 'personal essays'.
They should be given a proper place (don't remove!).
They should however be separated from 'development'.

Software-development and maintainance is a very
serious business, please don't call it 'hacking'
any longer because Wikipedia is reaching adulthood. :-)
(Grown-up software-developers don't call themselves
'hackers': It's all about thinking and mathematics!)

Please keep the 'personal essays', but not mixed
with serious development stuff.

Thanks,
Pieter Suurmond

Re: ReRe: Anthere [ In reply to ]
--- Pieter Suurmond <pieter@kmt.hku.nl> wrote:
Greetings Pieter,

Personal essays are also serious stuff
Wikipedia is not only built on software
An empty house, even with no holes in the roof, is
still an empty house

Have a good day

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Re: ReRe: Anthere [ In reply to ]
> They should be given a proper place (don't remove!).
> They should however be separated from 'development'.

> Software-development and maintainance is a very
> serious business, please don't call it 'hacking'
> any longer because Wikipedia is reaching adulthood. :-)
> (Grown-up software-developers don't call themselves
> 'hackers': It's all about thinking and mathematics!)

Insulting nonsense. There are plenty of "grown-up" software developers who
call themselves hackers. Ask the people at

or the folks working on the Linux kernel:

http://www.kernelhacking.org/

for example. I wouldn't say that these people are not capable of thinking
or do not understand mathematics.

Wikipedia is an open source project, and in the open source community, the
term "hacker" has a much different tradition from other development
groups. It is a perfectly appropriate term for the development process,
unless you see open source itself as "unprofessional" and "not for grown-
ups" (in which case you should don your asbestos suit..)

Regards,

Erik