It shouldn't even touch them.

You can see example of completely broken rendering in:

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wywo%C5%82ania_systemowe_Uniksa
Re: Very serious bug [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> PHP scripts seems to be messing with \ characters a lot.
> It shouldn't even touch them.
>
> You can see example of completely broken rendering in:
>
> http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wywo%C5%82ania_systemowe_Uniksa

Simpler test case: http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox

This is caused by the use of preg_replace() in the handling of pre,
nowiki, and math tags in addWikiText() (OutputPage.php). I added a hack to
escape $ characters a while ago, but apparently there's more. preg_quote()
would, you would think, handle this, but it seems to put in too much, and
you get slashes on your linebreaks.

Ugh.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)