Mailing List Archive

mod_wiki written in C (Re: wiki mirrors ?)
On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 11:35:43AM +0100, buraq wrote:
>Hello,
>
>just read about Wikipedia and the Wiktionary this morning in
>www.heise.de for the first time and I'm impressed ! Good work.
>
>getting on-topic again, I could not find any information on setting up
>mirrors (the How to become a Wikipedia hacker page is a bit incomplete
>:) Is there any best-practice way to do it, which avoids transferring
>SQL Dumps of the whole database every day ?
>
>Do MySQL or PostgreSQL have +working+ replication, transmitting just
>the changes/additions, has anybody ever used them to replicate Wikipedia ?

PostgreSQL does have working replication. It is scheduled to be
implemented in mod_wiki. I've just started cutting code; things have
matured to a point that I am now using a clone of Donald Knuths "CWEB"
literate programming tools to write this. This should hopefully make it
easier for other people to pick up the source code and make their
changes to it, since it will be extensively documented.

I have also set up a Savannah project for mod_wiki, and once I have some
minimal wiki functionality, I will do the first checkin, and we will be
off to the races.

Jonathan

--
Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone: 604-435-1205
Email: djw@reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC V5R2W2