Contact: giskart AT wikipedia.be
Ook een artikeltje schrijven? WikipediaNL, de vrije GNU/FDL encyclopedie
http://www.wikipedia.be
Re: reason why midi is not a recommended file type [ In reply to ]
Giskart <giskart=Qm5IaAUhVgjh8EpZiFPGsQ@public.gmane.org> wrote in
news:b0ccdn$g3o$1@main.gmane.org:

> Upload warning
> ".MID" is not a recommended image file format.
>
> Why is this not a recommended file type?
>
> It looks like a very good format for some types of music.

Because there is no reaction i can only assume that midi should not be a
"not recommended file type". Please change it on the wikipedia's.

Giskart
Re: Re: reason why midi is not a recommended file type [ In reply to ]
On sab, 2003-01-25 at 02:39, Giskart wrote:
> Giskart <giskart=Qm5IaAUhVgjh8EpZiFPGsQ@public.gmane.org> wrote in
> > Upload warning
> > ".MID" is not a recommended image file format.
> >
> > Why is this not a recommended file type?
> >
> > It looks like a very good format for some types of music.

> Because there is no reaction i can only assume that midi should not be a
> "not recommended file type". Please change it on the wikipedia's.

"png", "jpg", "jpeg", and "ogg" are currently the only "recommended"
file types. This list appears to have been fairly arbitrarily chosen for
images, with ogg tacked on for digitized sound.

MIDI could of course be useful for articles on music, demonstrating
straightforward patterns of notes without need for any particular sound
quality. (And, we could automatically generate them from inline source
used to create images of the music notation -- please take a look at
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_markup and comment!)

What other types might be appropriate to add, and under what
circumstances? (SVG images is another -- please see and comment at
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/SVG_image_support )

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)