last generated version as a "regular" article?
Example: I request "Special:Most Wanted" when it is available. The link
list I get is written into "Wikipedia:Most Wanted".
Re: Special pages cache? [ In reply to ]
> Some of the special pages, like Most Wanted, have been deactivated
> during busy times. Would it be a good idea to store the results of the
> last generated version as a "regular" article?
> Example: I request "Special:Most Wanted" when it is available. The link
> list I get is written into "Wikipedia:Most Wanted".

Good idea. Should the cached copy perhaps be in the Special: namespace,
too, and uneditable? Otherwise people might be surprised when their edits
are overwritten.

Having Talk: for the special pages might also be useful.

Regards,

Erik
Re: Special pages cache? [ In reply to ]
--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Some of the special pages, like Most Wanted, have been deactivated
> > during busy times. Would it be a good idea to store the results of
> > the last generated version as a "regular" article?
> > Example: I request "Special:Most Wanted" when it is available. The
> > link list I get is written into "Wikipedia:Most Wanted".
>
> Good idea. Should the cached copy perhaps be in the Special:
> namespace,
> too, and uneditable? Otherwise people might be surprised when their
> edits are overwritten.
>
> Having Talk: for the special pages might also be useful.

Yes, call it [[Special:Most Wanted (cached)]] and put a note at the top
about when it was cached. During busy hours, the message at
[[Special:Most Wanted]] would have a link to the cached version.

By the way, performance has become much better recently. Probably the
busy hour block?

Axel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Re: Special pages cache? [ In reply to ]
Axel Boldt wrote:

>--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:
>

>>>Some of the special pages, like Most Wanted, have been deactivated
>>>during busy times. Would it be a good idea to store the results of
>>>the last generated version as a "regular" article?
>>>Example: I request "Special:Most Wanted" when it is available. The
>>>link list I get is written into "Wikipedia:Most Wanted".
>>>

>>Good idea. Should the cached copy perhaps be in the Special:
>>namespace,
>>too, and uneditable? Otherwise people might be surprised when their
>>edits are overwritten.
>>
>>Having Talk: for the special pages might also be useful.
>>

>Yes, call it [[Special:Most Wanted (cached)]] and put a note at the top
>about when it was cached. During busy hours, the message at
>[[Special:Most Wanted]] would have a link to the cached version.

I implemented the Most Wanted cache on test and en (also in the CVS). It
uses the LogPage.php functions, with the exception that the caching
doesn't show on Recent Changes (except for one entry on en, which was a
bug;-)

It will show on Most Wanted once we reach the "busy time" again. I used
the old text for the heading, though.

Magnus