Mailing List Archive

A browser-specific problem
The inline stylesheet served in the head of each wikipedia page has a
media=screen attribute in its declaration. This is problematic in Opera
when you hit F11 to take the browser to full-screen mode, which uses
media=projection (a handy replacement for powerpoint, as it happens). The
styles within that sheet are ignored, and since it contains the margin for
the main div, the main and left divs overlap rather messily.
Print preview shows the same overlapped rendering.

Unfortunately media="screen,projection" results in the stylesheet being
ignored in Netscape4 and IE4 (an oft-used hack for hiding style from these
browsers). Is the intention of the media=screen to disable the style for
print, or merely to be standards compliant?

The best solution might be to declare the stylesheet with no media
attribute.
In fact, inclusion of a media="print" stylesheet to follow it with the rule
#quickbar {display:none;} would allow printing without having to laod the
"printable version" - which has fonts that are too large IMO (I can cope
with smaller fonts printed than I can on screen). Most of the features of
the current printable page can be achieved via css2, including the citation
at the bottom.

--
Richard Grevers