Mailing List Archive

need some numbers about wikipedia
There is a very good change that somebody of the Dutch wikipedia soon will
be able to give the first real interview soon for a important dutch
magazine (a real one, on paper) about Wikipedia and Wikipedia NL.

I would like to know some numbers and general information about
wikipedia if possible to give good information about wikipedia.

1)

The project in general; i know of course that Jimmy Weals is the person
who has give us Wikipedia and pays for everything. I know that he is
the CEO of Bomis (TM). I do not understand how it is possible that he
makes any money whit his website www.bomis.com

If that is, non of youre business, be happy that hey pays for it, i
understand.

2)

There is still no "formal wikipedia", no real organisation or legal
structure. Is it still the intent that something like that will be done?

3)

www.wikipedia.org is still a "American/English" website and not a
neutral portal. Is it still the idea to do something about that?

4)

The English Wikipedia; how many unique visitors a day does it get?
How many different people on a typical day are working on the English
wikipedia? 50 ? 100? 400?

5)

For the Dutch Wikipedia, we have a Nedstat counter on the main page that
gives us some limited information. It only counts page views, not unique
visitors and mostly counts the traffic of the Wikipedians i think. Are
there other, better logs that i can receive about the traffic to
Wikipedia NL?

6)

I suppose the English Wikipedia has give more interviews; any
suggestions?

Giskart
Re: need some numbers about wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00:04AM +0000, Giskart wrote:
> There is a very good change that somebody of the Dutch wikipedia soon will
> be able to give the first real interview soon for a important dutch
> magazine (a real one, on paper) about Wikipedia and Wikipedia NL.
>
> I would like to know some numbers and general information about
> wikipedia if possible to give good information about wikipedia.

You can get full apache logs and analyze them if you have shell access
to Wikipedia servers. Ask Brion for shell access if you don't have it yet,
or to send you logs.
Re: need some numbers about wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Giskart wrote:
> The project in general; i know of course that Jimmy Weals is the person
> who has give us Wikipedia and pays for everything. I know that he is
> the CEO of Bomis (TM). I do not understand how it is possible that he
> makes any money whit his website www.bomis.com

Bomis is very very popular, and we have advertising revenue.

> There is still no "formal wikipedia", no real organisation or legal
> structure. Is it still the intent that something like that will be done?

Yes.

> 3)
>
> www.wikipedia.org is still a "American/English" website and not a
> neutral portal. Is it still the idea to do something about that?

Uh, our official position is to deny that it is non-neutral? And to
admit that it could use some tweaks.

I can't imagine that a reporter would ask about that, but if they did,
then obviously we'd want to diffuse the question by pointing out that
there's links right at the top of that page to all the other active
languages.

> The English Wikipedia; how many unique visitors a day does it get?
> How many different people on a typical day are working on the English
> wikipedia? 50 ? 100? 400?

Maybe someone else will answer this, otherwise I will look it up in
the morning. :-)

> 5)
>
> For the Dutch Wikipedia, we have a Nedstat counter on the main page that
> gives us some limited information. It only counts page views, not unique
> visitors and mostly counts the traffic of the Wikipedians i think. Are
> there other, better logs that i can receive about the traffic to
> Wikipedia NL?

We could compress and make available an actual log for you, or whatever.

For privacy reasons, i.e. to respect our surfers, we shouldn't
distribute the actual access logs willy-nilly, but to a few trusted
people (like you) is not a problem.

> I suppose the English Wikipedia has give more interviews; any
> suggestions?

No matter what you say, you will be misquoted. This is my experience.
:-) Sometimes this is good, sometimes not.

--Jimbo