Mailing List Archive

music typesetting (was Re: TeX)
>Tomasz, could you please also implement a <tex>...</tex> which goes
>straight to TeX, so that matrices, commutative diagrams, chess
>diagrams, chemical structure formulas, music notes and flow charts can
>be typeset conveniently? Or would you prefer that I do it?

Regardless of the "should we allow full LaTeX" debate, I tend to think that
some means of typesetting music could greatly benefit Wikipedia. Music
theory is certainly a huge topic, and one that Wikipedia ought to be able to
document and cover properly.

One part of music theory is math, and for the math we now have Tomasz's
texvc module. But most of music theory requires being able to typeset
notes, chords, music, etc.

Music typesetting could be provided by GNU LilyPond, <http://lilypond.org/>.
(It's part of the GNU project, folks, so Wikipedia should support GNU
LilyPond, if for no other reason than to promote wider use and adoption of
Free and Open standards and software.)

LilyPond is a plaintext syntax, very TeX-like. It ought to be pretty
trivial to create a texvc-like module for Wikipedia that renders LilyPond
notation into PNGs. The LilyPond syntax could be put within <music> ...
</music> tags, or something similar.

Anyways, it's certainly something to look into!

Peace out,

Derek

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 3 months FREE*.
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_eliminateviruses_3mf
Re: music typesetting (was Re: TeX) [ In reply to ]
>Music typesetting could be provided by GNU LilyPond,
><http://lilypond.org/>. [...]
>
>LilyPond is a plaintext syntax, very TeX-like. It ought to be
>pretty trivial to create a texvc-like module for Wikipedia that
>renders LilyPond notation into PNGs. The LilyPond syntax could
>be put within <music> ... </music> tags, or something similar.

I forgot a few things:

1) LilyPond can also render its input into MIDI files, which might
be a cool feature for Wikipedia.

2) LilyPond is already being used by the Mutopia Project,
<http://www.mutopiaproject.org/>. Mutopia is to music what
Project Gutenburg <http://gutenberg.net/> is to literature.

Okay, I'm done now,

Derek

http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_smartspamprotection_3mf
Re: music typesetting (was Re: TeX) [ In reply to ]
Derek Moore wrote:
> Music typesetting could be provided by GNU LilyPond,
> <http://lilypond.org/>. [...]
[..]
> 1) LilyPond can also render its input into MIDI files, which might
> be a cool feature for Wikipedia.

I think I speak for all of us whose grasp of music notation ends shortly
after "notes higher on the scale have higher pitch" when I say that that
would be a *huge* help for a layman's comprehension of any article about
music.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)