1. make them look nicer
2. make them work correctly

Magnus
Re: Recent Changes hack, part 2 [ In reply to ]
> Have a look at the new version, and tell me that ain't cool ;-)
>
> http://test.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Recentchanges

That certainly ain't anywhere near cool. I get two parts of the page being
showing on top of each other. Somehow, just before "(unreadable) Magnus Manske
(uploaded "Arr_r.png": arrow right)" my browser (Netscape 6.2 under Linux)
sees a command "go to the top of the page", causing in everything being
written over so as to make it unreadable & unusable.

By the way, I'm having the same type of problem with the multi-language search:
The Polish results go to the top of the page rather than the bottom,
overwriting things. If I search without using 'Polska' (should be 'Polski',
btw) as one of the chosen languages it works like it should.

Andre Engels
Re: Recent Changes hack, part 2 [ In reply to ]
Andre Engels wrote:

>>Have a look at the new version, and tell me that ain't cool ;-)
>>
>> http://test.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Recentchanges
>>

>That certainly ain't anywhere near cool. I get two parts of the page being
>showing on top of each other. Somehow, just before "(unreadable) Magnus Manske
>(uploaded "Arr_r.png": arrow right)" my browser (Netscape 6.2 under Linux)
>sees a command "go to the top of the page", causing in everything being
>written over so as to make it unreadable & unusable.

It is degined for decent browsers only ;-)

It also won't work under current Opera, due to Opera not implementing
all standards.

Magnus
Re: Recent Changes hack, part 2 [ In reply to ]
On 16 Dec 2002, at 21:39, Magnus Manske wrote:

> Have a look at the new version, and tell me that ain't cool ;-)
>
> http://test.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Recentchanges

Any chance of getting the number of changes stat onto the "Short
Pages" listing ?

(It'd make it easier to differentiate between newbie experiments and
vandalism.)

Imran
Re: Recent Changes hack, part 2 [ In reply to ]
Magnus Manske wrote:

>Have a look at the new version, and tell me that ain't cool ;-)

That ain't cool:

http://math.ucr.edu/~toby/Recentchanges.bmp

(Sorry, bitmap was the best format that I managed to get for this scrreenshot.)
This was with Netscape 6 for Unix with JavaScript turned on,
but it looks just the same with Javascript turned off
(which is how I normally surf).

-- Toby
Re: Recent Changes hack, part 2 [ In reply to ]
Toby Bartels wrote:

>This was with Netscape 6 for Unix with JavaScript turned on,
>but it looks just the same with Javascript turned off
>(which is how I normally surf).

Obviously, the contents invades the top and sidebar. Does it do that all
the time, or just on that new Recent Changes version?

Anyway, it does *not* appear do be a fault of the script, rather one of
the browser. Of course, as the script uses some "advanced" features,
many old browsers will not display it correctly. I cannot help that. We
will, of course, have the "old" RC mode as well, if we ever use this on
wikipedia.

So far, I know about these browsers:
* IE 6 (probably 4 and above) work
* Mozilla (and thus Netscape 7) work
* Opera does *not* work
* Netscape 6 and below won't work

Anyone try Konqueror yet? What about Mac browsers?

Magnus
Re: Recent Changes hack, part 2 [ In reply to ]
On Die, 2002-12-17 at 11:23, Magnus Manske wrote:

> Anyone try Konqueror yet?

Konqi is a bit buggy -- sometimes the top link is put below the expanded
links for some reason. But it expands the links as it should.
--
FOKUS - Fraunhofer Insitute for Open Communication Systems
Project BerliOS - http://www.berlios.de
Re: Recent Changes hack, part 2 [ In reply to ]
Magnus Manske wrote:

>Toby Bartels wrote:

>>This was with Netscape 6 for Unix with JavaScript turned on,
>>but it looks just the same with Javascript turned off
>>(which is how I normally surf).

>Obviously, the contents invades the top and sidebar. Does it do that all
>the time, or just on that new Recent Changes version?

Only on the new Recentchanges -- not Watchlist, not old Recentchanges.

>Anyway, it does *not* appear do be a fault of the script, rather one of
>the browser. Of course, as the script uses some "advanced" features,
>many old browsers will not display it correctly. I cannot help that. We
>will, of course, have the "old" RC mode as well, if we ever use this on
>wikipedia.

In the meantime, I'm having trouble keeping track of
the TeX testing going on on the test site '_`.

>So far, I know about these browsers:
>* IE 6 (probably 4 and above) work
>* Mozilla (and thus Netscape 7) work
>* Opera does *not* work
>* Netscape 6 and below won't work

The phrasing of this list implies that Netscape 6 is not Mozilla.
Unlike Netscape 4 and below, it is.

-- Toby
Re: Recent Changes hack, part 2 [ In reply to ]
Toby Bartels wrote:

>>So far, I know about these browsers:
>>* IE 6 (probably 4 and above) work
>>* Mozilla (and thus Netscape 7) work
>>* Opera does *not* work
>>* Netscape 6 and below won't work
>>

>The phrasing of this list implies that Netscape 6 is not Mozilla.
>Unlike Netscape 4 and below, it is.

AFAIK, Mozilla (1.0 and above) is the basis for Netscape 7. Am I
mistaken? If Netscape 6 would be Mozilla-based, the RC would work there,
would it not?

Magnus
Re: Recent Changes hack, part 2 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 04:53:57PM +0100, Magnus Manske wrote:
> Toby Bartels wrote:
>
> >>So far, I know about these browsers:
> >>* IE 6 (probably 4 and above) work
> >>* Mozilla (and thus Netscape 7) work
> >>* Opera does *not* work
> >>* Netscape 6 and below won't work
> >>

> >The phrasing of this list implies that Netscape 6 is not Mozilla.
> >Unlike Netscape 4 and below, it is.
> >

> AFAIK, Mozilla (1.0 and above) is the basis for Netscape 7. Am I
> mistaken? If Netscape 6 would be Mozilla-based, the RC would work there,
> would it not?

Netscape is Mozilla-based, and it's very likely that RC wouldn't work in
older Mozillas (N6 was based on Moz0.9 iirc).