Mailing List Archive

Re: Wikitech-l digest, Vol 1 #289 - 13 msgs
Message: 4
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 06:14:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Digital Addictions Software
<digitaladdictions@yahoo.com>
To: wikitech-l@wikipedia.org
Subject: [Wikitech-l] Re: Feature Request: Bot user
accounts and/or
disable 'hide minor edits' for non-logged-in users
Oh and I could run it in the bot in
middle of
the night on full speed and then turn it off during
the day, but alas I
sleep
during that time.
Ram-Man

Hi

Except your day time is other people night time. It
would annoy less some, and more others. It would also
slow down the server of other people day time. Please,
don't forget this. Thanks.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Re: Wikitech-l digest, Vol 1 #289 - 13 msgs [ In reply to ]
Anthere wrote:

> Hi
>
> Except your day time is other people night time. It
> would annoy less some, and more others. It would also
> slow down the server of other people day time. Please,
> don't forget this. Thanks.

Yes, and in the good old days when we where using the modwiki's there
where never server problems.

Is it really so a good idea to put all wikipedias on the same server?

Giskart
Re: Re: Wikitech-l digest, Vol 1 #289 - 13 msgs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 11:18:12PM +0100, Giskart wrote:
>Yes, and in the good old days when we where using the modwiki's there
>where never server problems.
>
>Is it really so a good idea to put all wikipedias on the same server?

That's a good point. Maybe we could have one database, many servers?
Postgres transactions impose no overhead in terms of cpu cycles, yet
they guarantee atomic transactions; just what we need for such a
distributed beastie.

There is also code for database replication; maybe subsidiary wikis
could do their "reads" from local copies of the database, and their
writes would go to the central database? I need to look into the
replication code a bit more to see what is practical.

Jonathan

--
Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone: 604-435-1205
Email: djw@reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC V5R2W2