need to be separate namespaces.

Jonathan

--
Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone: 604-435-1205
Email: djw@reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC V5R2W2
Re: how many namespaces are there (currently)? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 07:47, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> The Special: doesn't really count, because it refers to pages that are
> dynamically generated, not to something that is article-like.
>
> The Wikipedia: namespace; is it a namespace only because changes to
> articles in it don't show up in Recent Changes?

They show up in recentchanges along with everything else. They _don't_
show in the article count, the "new articles" list, etc.

> Obviously the User: and User_talk: and Talk: and Wikipedia_talk and
> Special_talk namespaces although I'm not sure those things really
> need to be separate namespaces.

To go over the list again by number and English name:
0 - '' (encyclopedia articles)
1 - 'Talk' (discussion about the above)
2 - 'User' (user pages; names coincide with user names -- but there are
also crudely made slash-subpages in user namespace)
3 - 'User talk' (discussion about the above)
4 - 'Wikipedia' (general meta pages that serve as information and
documentation for readers and editors)
5 - 'Wikipedia talk' (discussion about the above)
6 - 'Image' (descriptions of uploaded files; names coincide with
uploaded file names)
7 - 'Image talk' (discussion about uploaded files)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: how many namespaces are there (currently)? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:38:56AM -0800, Brion Vibber wrote:
> 2 - 'User' (user pages; names coincide with user names -- but there are
> also crudely made slash-subpages in user namespace)

User's subpages are very useful. Can we add some support for them ?
For example by automatically adding links from User:X to all User:X/*
and link from every User:X/* to User:X ?
Re: how many namespaces are there (currently)? [ In reply to ]
Vibber wrote:
>> 2 - 'User' (user pages; names coincide with user
>>names -- but there are also crudely made
slash->>subpages in user namespace)

>User's subpages are very useful. Can we add some
>support for them ? For example by automatically
>adding links from User:X to all User:X/*
>and link from every User:X/* to User:X ?

Please do. This used to be available to all pages but
was killed in Phase III. Killing subpage functionality
for the article namespace makes perfect sense but this
feature would still be very useful for user pages and
all talk pages. It is currently a chore to make talk
archive subpages and user subpages.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Re: how many namespaces are there (currently)? [ In reply to ]
Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

>User's subpages are very useful. Can we add some support for them ?
>For example by automatically adding links from User:X to all User:X/*
>and link from every User:X/* to User:X ?

I don't see the need for these.
My user subpages are for my own personal use,
and would be unlikely to be of any interest to anybody else.
(Every edit that I make is marked minor and labelled "Ignore.".)
It would be pointless and confusing to advertise them on my user page.
If I create a user subpage that I do want to advertise to others,
then I'll include the link (and a backlink) myself.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't remember about them
when writing code that reacts to user pages.
Supporting them in the sense that the codes realise that
[[User:Joe/junk]] belongs to a user named "Joe",
not to a user named "Joe/junk", is good.

Speaking of which support, do we allow slashes in user names?
Probably we shouldn't, to avoid conflicts.

-- Toby