From: Brion Vibber [mailto:vibber@aludra.usc.edu]
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 5:46 PM
To: wikipedia-l@wikipedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikipedia-l] Help accessing Wikipedia?

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Zoe wrote:
> The Wikipedia seems to be inaccessible right now. Anybody know what's
> wrong and if it's something that's going to be fixed any time soon?

Up again.

I tried upping the priority on the simple queries used for loading up and
displaying pages to see if it would improve interactive performance, but I
don't think it helped much.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: was: Help accessing Wikipedia? [ In reply to ]
Poor, Edmund W wrote:
> Thanks for rebooting the server, Brion. One of these days, I'll have to learn how to do it myself.

Here's a quick tutorial:

To restart apache:

/apache/bin/apachectl restart

or

/apache/bin/apachectl graceful

I prefer the first, but it does tend to 'zing' people who are in the
middle of some long download.

To reboot the *machine*, which is almost never the right thing to do,
but as a last resort will almost certainly work:

shutdown -r now

--Jimbo