Mailing List Archive

[root@www.wikipedia.org: Cron <root@www> /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg]
This sounds vaguely unpleasant. Is it important?

----- Forwarded message from Cron Daemon <root@www.wikipedia.org> -----

From: root@www.wikipedia.org (Cron Daemon)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:36:54 GMT
To: root@www.wikipedia.org
Subject: Cron <root@www> /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg

ERROR: I guess another mrtg is running. A lockfile (/etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg_l) aged
1 seconds is hanging around. If you are sure that no other mrtg
is running you can remove the lockfile

----- End forwarded message -----
Re: [root@www.wikipedia.org: Cron <root@www> /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg] [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 07:44, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> This sounds vaguely unpleasant. Is it important?

mrtg seems to be some sort of network traffic analyzer which generates
pretter graphs of how much traffic is going through your routers; it was
on the default install configuration which apparently does nothing
useful and drops its files into a black hole in /var/www where our
custom Apache wouldn't serve it if there was a reason to.

I disabled its cronjob.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)