Mailing List Archive

X-System to Unicode conversion
I've signed up for the technical list againand now I
find myself drowning in Wikipedia mailing lists... but
next week I should have a nice computer in Slovenia to
work with, so hopefully that will not be a problem.
:)

Anyway, we now have a problem (bug) on the Esperanto
Wikipedia and I thought perhaps other people on the
list might have some ideas. Basically, Esperanto has
special non-ASCII characters that are often typed on
the Internet by using an x after the ASCII letter, but
they are usually displayed in Unicode.

We need to be able to allow our users to type in
x-system or Unicode and have the result be in Unicode.
We also need to allow the users to view the Esperanto
encyclopedia in x-system in case they are using an
older browser that does not support it. In the older
software, this worked perfectly. We also had an extra
link on the top which allowed the user to switch their
view simply from X-System to Unicode and back by
manually editing a user preference.

Is this possible simply by editing EoLanguage.php or
do will we need to edit other files as well? Which
one(s)? Also, it would help if Brion could give a
technical explanation of the problem here so perhaps
even I could try to help solve it soon. I would like
this to be fixed before I start the next wave of
promotion.

Thanks,
Chuck Smith

=====
I'm in the Czech Republic!! Mi estas en Cxehxio!!
Travel Plans: http://eo.wikipedia.com/wiki/Chuck_SMITH
My Webpage: http://amuzulo.babil.komputilo.com/
Enciklopedio: http://eo.wikipedia.com/

Möchten Sie mit einem Gruß antworten? http://grusskarten.yahoo.de
Re: X-System to Unicode conversion [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, [iso-8859-1] Chuck Smith wrote:
> We need to be able to allow our users to type in
> x-system or Unicode and have the result be in Unicode.
> We also need to allow the users to view the Esperanto
> encyclopedia in x-system in case they are using an
> older browser that does not support it. In the older
> software, this worked perfectly. We also had an extra
> link on the top which allowed the user to switch their
> view simply from X-System to Unicode and back by
> manually editing a user preference.

Currently you must manually switch this on in your preferences, and you
get both X edit and X display or neither; I haven't had a chance yet to
hack in the big, friendly button at the top of the screen.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)