Mailing List Archive

Re: Wikitech-l digest, Vol 1 #230 - 17 msgs
From: Toby Bartels <toby+wikipedia@math.ucr.edu>

Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Request for setting up of
the Polish mailing list

>Jimmy Wales wrote:
>>I thought that was just a joke.
>The request for <wikiEN-l>? That's no joke.
>It's certainly still a controversial subject,
>but there are a lot of us that think that such a list
should >exist, and should take most of the traffic
from <wikipedia-l>.
>See, well, practically everything anthere's written
lately.
-- Toby

Hu ? I did not have the feeling I only wrote about
that lately ! :-)

I will stay on the en.list btw. I strongly support
this change to help the international ones to get more
involved, plus to make it clear what is a english
concern, and what should be a whole community concern.

>From: The Cunctator <cunctator@kband.com>
>Another mailing list is not the answer, unless it's
moderated. >A bbs needs
>to be set up.

I agree it will probably be a better choice. But, it
will certainly take time to set up.

And what do you mean by moderated ?

If it's to gently point out to messages maybe not in
the right list until people get used to it, ok. Or
what ? Content ? Why would we give the power to any
one person to decide what is worth talking about or
how we should talk ? (exxxcept Jimmy of course...)

Imho, nobody should be "declared" and accept to be
moderator of a list, without knowing what it means and
implies.

The international list could be merged with the
mainlist. Interlinking or coding are not only issues
for international wikis. It could also be issues to
the english one. Again, why setting a difference
between the english and the others ? I agree the
english is the bigger most comprehensive... one by
large, but why should that impact setting relationship
between all wikis ?