How hard is it going to be for me to change Throbbing Monster Cock's
username to TMC?

Any discussion of the wisdom of so doing should be directed to
wikipedia-l.

I can easily change his name in the table of users, but this will
break a lot of links in articles and elsewhere? So those would need
to be changed as well?

--Jimbo
Re: As a technical matter [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 10:27, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> How hard is it going to be for me to change Throbbing Monster Cock's
> username to TMC?

User ID is 4754...

UPDATE user set user_name="TMC" where user_id=4754;
UPDATE recentchanges set rc_user_text="TMC" where rc_user=4754;
UPDATE cur set cur_user_text="TMC" where cur_user=4754;
UPDATE old set old_user_text="TMC" where old_user=4754;
UPDATE image set img_user_text="TMC" where img_user=4754;

should do it. Note that this may require TMC to re-log in (assuming
we're not banning the account entirely.)

> Any discussion of the wisdom of so doing should be directed to
> wikipedia-l.
>
> I can easily change his name in the table of users, but this will
> break a lot of links in articles and elsewhere? So those would need
> to be changed as well?

Move the user page to [[User:TMC]] and let the redirects carry it?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: As a technical matter [ In reply to ]
> I can easily change his name in the table of users, but this will
> break a lot of links in articles and elsewhere? So those would need
> to be changed as well?

How about putting a redirect on the user page?

Regards,

Erik
Re: As a technical matter [ In reply to ]
Sweet, that doesn't sound as bad as I thought.

Brion Vibber wrote:
> should do it. Note that this may require TMC to re-log in (assuming
> we're not banning the account entirely.)

We can talk about that over on wikipedia-l, but just to be clear, I
don't see any reason to ban him unless he gets destructive about this.
Perhaps surprisingly, his contributions are perfectly fine.

He contributed extensively to "Hitler only has one ball". But,
strange as that article is, it's legitimate. And he didn't start it.
And his primary role in that debate was to raise a legitimate concern
over copyrights.

I may have overlooked some other bad behavior.

--Jimbo
RE: As a technical matter [ In reply to ]
I checked the user_id with the following:

select user_id, user_name from user where user_name like 'Throb%'

and I got:

user_id user_name
4754 Throbbing Monster Cock

So I think the 5 update queries Brion wrote will work.

Ed Poor