If anyone actually reads this mail, I would appreciate some advice: Is
there a way to tell CVS to ignore my LocalSettings.php? .cvsignore only
ignores files that are not in the repository.

Regards,

Erik
--
FOKUS - Fraunhofer Insitute for Open Communication Systems
Project BerliOS - http://www.berlios.de
Re: Watchbox patch committed [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:
> Since there were no objections, I have committed the patch for the
> watchlist checkbox in article edit mode (Magnus has given me CVS
> access). I have checked out a second copy and tested it quite
> thoroughly, but let me know if there are any problems.
>
> Note that I obviously don't have all translations, so I hope people will
> eventually send us the translated strings.
>
> I have also sent a request for further feedback regarding the sidebar
> links to wikipedia-l, and will commit that patch as well if there are no
> objections.
>
> If anyone actually reads this mail, I would appreciate some advice: Is
> there a way to tell CVS to ignore my LocalSettings.php? .cvsignore only
> ignores files that are not in the repository.
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik

Not that i have objections against this change, but changes to the
software/userinterfase of the Wikipedias should be announced formaly and
well in advance.

Somthing like this;
Give 3 weeks notice.
Send a message to Intlwiki-l like this;

(first week)
Subject:[RFD]Software change announcement

Explain what you want to change and why.
Give a change for discussion to change mayby somthing. The ambassadors
or then announce the posibel change to there Wikipedias

(second week)
Subject:[NOTICE1]Software change announcement

Explain the change.
Tell what you need. Like translations of some words.
Tell to who to send them.

Tell when the change will be done.

(3th week)
Subject:[NOTICE2]Software change announcement

Explain the change.
Tell what you need. Like translations of some words.
Tell to who to send them.

Tell when the change will be done. (end of the week)

--
Contact: giskart AT wikipedia.be
Ook een artikeltje schrijven? Wikipedia, de vrije GNU/FDL encyclopedie
Re: Watchbox patch committed [ In reply to ]
On 11/11/02 11:29 AM, "Giskart" <giskart@wikipedia.be> wrote:

> Erik Moeller wrote:
>> Since there were no objections, I have committed the patch for the
>> watchlist checkbox in article edit mode (Magnus has given me CVS
>> access). I have checked out a second copy and tested it quite
>> thoroughly, but let me know if there are any problems.

Actually, I did object. And Giskart is right.

Re: Watchbox patch committed [ In reply to ]
> Not that i have objections against this change, but changes to the
> software/userinterfase of the Wikipedias should be announced formaly and
> well in advance.
> Somthing like this;
> Give 3 weeks notice.

This is way too long. I don't have time to track each individual patch
over three weeks, especially since patches become obsolete quite quickly
as other changes are committed. Besides, intwiki-l is not for feature
discussion (see the list description). wikitech-l is, and if feature
discussion concerns wikipedia policies, it should be copied/moved to
wikipedia-l.

Notice that the above policy is not used by anyone else either, so I don't
even see why you bring it up. Members of the international Wikipedias that
want to take part in feature discussions should subscribe to wikitech-l
and/or wikipedia-l, if we spread this stuff over three lists, we'll never
get anything done.

What I can agree on is to send strings that need to be translated to
intwiki-l before committing a change, and to wait a few days for
translations to come in, then to commit the change together with the
translations. But if not all translations come in within a reasonable
amount of time, they will have to be added later, meaning that the user
interface will have some English in it until the translations are
submitted. If you check some of the international Wikipedias, you will
notice that this is the case for quite a few of them, for features with
which I had nothing to do.

Regards,

Erik
Re: Watchbox patch committed [ In reply to ]
> Actually, I did object.

You said you liked the idea and made an alternative suggestion ("it
*might* make more sense"). I explained why I preferred my solution, and
that both could coexist. You posted no further reply, so I consider your
objection obsolete.

Regards,

Erik