Mailing List Archive

H1 (Was: mysql issues)
Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote in part:

>There are 4 issues standing between polish wikipedia and phase 3
>software.

>Second is support for H1 (don't say that it is reserved for page
>titles, CSS already treats H1 and H1.pagetitle different).

You mean the HTML tag <H1>?
That's already supported, as a literal wiki markup.
See [[en:Talk:Jimmy Carter]] for an example of its use.
You only have to fight to *keep* it supported.
Of course, the wiki markup "=" is unsupported
(which is just as well IMO).

-- Toby
Re: H1 (Was: mysql issues) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 10:03:51AM -0800, Toby Bartels wrote:
> You mean the HTML tag <H1>?
> That's already supported, as a literal wiki markup.
> See [[en:Talk:Jimmy Carter]] for an example of its use.
> You only have to fight to *keep* it supported.
> Of course, the wiki markup "=" is unsupported
> (which is just as well IMO).

"=" worked in UseMod and must be kept supported.

And no arguing is permitted (unless it comes from Polish
Wikipedians). Markup must not break.
Re: H1 (Was: mysql issues) [ In reply to ]
"Tomasz Wegrzanowski" skribis:

> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 10:03:51AM -0800, Toby Bartels wrote:
> > You mean the HTML tag <H1>?
> > That's already supported, as a literal wiki markup.
> > See [[en:Talk:Jimmy Carter]] for an example of its use.
> > You only have to fight to *keep* it supported.
> > Of course, the wiki markup "=" is unsupported
> > (which is just as well IMO).
>
> "=" worked in UseMod and must be kept supported.
>
> And no arguing is permitted (unless it comes from Polish
> Wikipedians). Markup must not break.

I think with an automatic conversion this would
not be an important problem.

Paul
Re: H1 (Was: mysql issues) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:20:55PM +0100, Paul Ebermann wrote:
> "Tomasz Wegrzanowski" skribis:
>

> > On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 10:03:51AM -0800, Toby Bartels wrote:
> > > You mean the HTML tag <H1>?
> > > That's already supported, as a literal wiki markup.
> > > See [[en:Talk:Jimmy Carter]] for an example of its use.
> > > You only have to fight to *keep* it supported.
> > > Of course, the wiki markup "=" is unsupported
> > > (which is just as well IMO).
> >
> > "=" worked in UseMod and must be kept supported.
> >
> > And no arguing is permitted (unless it comes from Polish
> > Wikipedians). Markup must not break.
>
> I think with an automatic conversion this would
> not be an important problem.

This would be a problem as people got used to that notation.
Re: H1 (Was: mysql issues) [ In reply to ]
Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:20:55PM +0100, Paul Ebermann wrote:
>>>"=" worked in UseMod and must be kept supported.
>>>
>>>And no arguing is permitted (unless it comes from Polish
>>>Wikipedians). Markup must not break.
>>
>>I think with an automatic conversion this would
>>not be an important problem.
>

> This would be a problem as people got used to that notation.

As far as I know it was only ever removed by oversight. I have no
objection to putting it back, and will do so if no one else either does
it first or gives a very convincing reason otherwise.

HTML headers do not impose any kind of hierarchical structure. (If they
did, you'd have to put all following text and subheadings _inside_ the
open/close tag pair, probably looking something like the list tags.) Our
==headers== are simple aliases to the HTML headers, and should not be
burdened by overcomplex hierarchy rules, magical collapsing tables of
contents (if you need a table of contents, your article is too long), or
magical detectors that chew out the user for not insufficiently
(s)lavishly constructing their markup.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: H1 [ In reply to ]
[.Note: I've crossposted to the main list so that people can see
that there's a proposal to recognise "=".]

Brion Vibber wrote:

>Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

>>Paul Ebermann wrote:

Ah, I understand what the issue is now.
You're using "=" *already* there!

Of course everybody has the opportunity to argue --
unless you're suggesting a fork in the wiki markup, that is.

>>>I think with an automatic conversion this would
>>>not be an important problem.

That would solve it once, if nobody's in the habit of using "=".

>>This would be a problem as people got used to that notation.

So the question is, are they used to it now?
I would assume yes, meaning that "=" should be supported.

>As far as I know it was only ever removed by oversight. I have no
>objection to putting it back, and will do so if no one else either does
>it first or gives a very convincing reason otherwise.

My concern is that a line bounded by "=" could show up naturally
in a context of writing out a mathematical equation.
It could easily be avoided by changing the line breaking, however.
So I'd appreciate it if somebody would verify (by SQL) that
no such pattern exists in the nonUseMod wikis now;
in the future, the "Preview" button will catch it.

>HTML headers do not impose any kind of hierarchical structure. (If they
>did, you'd have to put all following text and subheadings _inside_ the
>open/close tag pair, probably looking something like the list tags.) Our
>==headers== are simple aliases to the HTML headers, and should not be
>burdened by overcomplex hierarchy rules, magical collapsing tables of
>contents (if you need a table of contents, your article is too long), or
>magical detectors that chew out the user for not insufficiently
>(s)lavishly constructing their markup.

Actually, our headers *do* already impose a heirarchical structure.
Turn on numbered headers in your user preferences to see it.
This is a very desirable option IMO. No arguing is permitted
unless it comes from people with that preference set ^_^.

-- Toby
Re: H1 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 09:33, Toby Bartels wrote:
> Actually, our headers *do* already impose a heirarchical structure.
> Turn on numbered headers in your user preferences to see it.
> This is a very desirable option IMO. No arguing is permitted
> unless it comes from people with that preference set ^_^.

Our headers impose no such thing. A misconceived "number headers"
feature, which users were so annoyed with that it was banished to
off-by-default and forgotten about by developers long long ago, attempts
futilely to impose such a thing.

Its continued existence is a dark blot upon the soul of the wiki.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: H1 [ In reply to ]
|From: Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com>
|Date: 05 Nov 2002 10:15:13 -0800
|
|On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 09:33, Toby Bartels wrote:
|> Actually, our headers *do* already impose a heirarchical structure.
|> Turn on numbered headers in your user preferences to see it.
|> This is a very desirable option IMO. No arguing is permitted
|> unless it comes from people with that preference set ^_^.
|
|Our headers impose no such thing. A misconceived "number headers"
|feature, which users were so annoyed with that it was banished to
|off-by-default and forgotten about by developers long long ago, attempts
|futilely to impose such a thing.
|
|Its continued existence is a dark blot upon the soul of the wiki.

|-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

The auto-number preference is still there, but doesn't work, it
seems. As an old tech writer I can easily imagine situations where it
might be useful, or at least I can imagine readers who would prefer
it. But I don't think it's all that important.

However, I believe that ordered use of =, ==, ===, ==== and so on
does serve important, encyclopedic purposes:

--- Encouraging writers who use headers to use them logically.

--- Regularizing optional standard features like ==External Links==

-- Making articles look alike.

-- Allowing incoming 'bots and spiders to infer the structure of an
article and make use of that information.

-- Laying the groundwork for future hypertext applications that we
know nothing of except that properly ordered text will be more
useful than random disorder.

-- Keeping out the *ML markup languages

20 years at this generic markup game and still fighting,
Tom Parmenter
Ortolan88