It may also allow for interesting crosslanguage capacities that I can't
predict myself...

tc
Re: cross-Wikipedia redirects [ In reply to ]
The Cunctator wrote:
> Right now the #REDIRECT [[ns:link]] function doesn't
> work with namespaces outside of www.wikipedia.org (such as meta, and the
> various languages.
>
> It would probably be good (and easy?) to change it so that redirects can
> be set up naturally.

Done.

They behave the same as redirects to special pages, which is to say
there are a couple of caveats:

* If the target page doesn't exist, we don't know it; you get sent to
the empty page.

* There's no 'redirected from' notice/backlink, so editing the redirect
page must be done manually

* Can't backtrace them from a 'What links here' page

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: cross-Wikipedia redirects [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 21:13, Brion VIBBER wrote:
> The Cunctator wrote:
> > Right now the #REDIRECT [[ns:link]] function doesn't
> > work with namespaces outside of www.wikipedia.org (such as meta, and the
> > various languages.
> >
> > It would probably be good (and easy?) to change it so that redirects can
> > be set up naturally.
>
> Done.

Thanks, and thanks for making the Memoriam redirect. One more thing:
could you/someone copy over the article history from Wikipedia to sep11
for
September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attack/Personal experiences ->
sep11:Personal experiences

I'd like to do that for the tribute pages as well; if I give you a list
of the entry names, would it be straightforward to copy them over
en-masse? The pages wouldn't be redirected; rather, the [[Tributes and
comments]] link on the encyclopedia entry pages would be changed to
point to sep11.
Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: cross-Wikipedia redirects [ In reply to ]
Magnus Manske wrote:
> Can I now redirect [[en:xyz]] to [[de:xyz]] and back, keeping the system
> busy?

Um, yes. Please don't do that. ;)

Your browser should be smart enough to give up after the first few.

> Also, I don't see any reason why one would redirect to another language.
> If one reads the en wikipedia, I doubt s/he wants to be redirected to,
> say, a chinese article. IMHO that should be restricted to wikipedia,
> meta and the 9-11 site.

Well, what's the benefit in not being able to? (Once the kinks are
smoothed out, which you're more than welcome to do.)

Which reminds me -- not for redirecting, but for interwiki linking in
general. Do we want to allow convenient [[Site:Title]] linking to other
non-Wikipedia wikis?

Eg, [[MeatBall:InterWiki]] would get you to
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?InterWiki

I imagine this would be of use mainly in discussion pages, though
perhaps there's some good reference material out there.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: cross-Wikipedia redirects [ In reply to ]
The Cunctator wrote:
> Thanks, and thanks for making the Memoriam redirect. One more thing:
> could you/someone copy over the article history from Wikipedia to sep11
> for
> September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attack/Personal experiences ->
> sep11:Personal experiences

Done.

> I'd like to do that for the tribute pages as well; if I give you a list
> of the entry names, would it be straightforward to copy them over
> en-masse? The pages wouldn't be redirected; rather, the [[Tributes and
> comments]] link on the encyclopedia entry pages would be changed to
> point to sep11.

Sure.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: cross-Wikipedia redirects [ In reply to ]
We may be shooting ourselves in the foot by doing this... With a URL
like the one you mention, I think it likely that it will disappear in
the future...

I would not be opposed to linking [[Site:Title]] for non-Wikipedia
wikis if their URLs looked like the administrator of the site intended
to support them forever... For instance, if the URL was
http://www.usemod.com/wiki/InterWiki or the like...

Jason

--
"Jason C. Richey" <jasonr@bomis.com>
Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: cross-Wikipedia redirects [ In reply to ]
Jason Richey wrote:
> Brion VIBBER wrote:
>>Do we want to allow convenient [[Site:Title]] linking to other
>>non-Wikipedia wikis?
>>
>>Eg, [[MeatBall:InterWiki]] would get you to
>>http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?InterWiki
>
> We may be shooting ourselves in the foot by doing this... With a URL
> like the one you mention, I think it likely that it will disappear in
> the future...
>
> I would not be opposed to linking [[Site:Title]] for non-Wikipedia
> wikis if their URLs looked like the administrator of the site intended
> to support them forever... For instance, if the URL was
> http://www.usemod.com/wiki/InterWiki or the like...

Hmm, isn't that exactly what this would solve?

The InterMap list is maintained and updated regularly. If we keep track
of that and update our copy (along with the general software maintenance
and development), then that neatly solves the problem of hand-copied
URLs in article text potentially becoming obsolete and difficult to
track down and correct manually.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: cross-Wikipedia redirects [ In reply to ]
Oh, I see... I don't know where my head was earlier...

Jason