Mailing List Archive

Access counters (was: JW edit war)
On wikipedia-l, Andre Engels wrote:
> > The talk page for "Jehovah's witnesses" had 909 accesses just now.
> > Is that a record for a talk page?
>
> No, it's not. I did a query, and it was at 1090 in the meantime, but
> Talk:Main_Page, Talk:Julius:Caesar and Talk:List_of_famous_Canadians had
> more.
>
> The top 20 of most-read talk pages:
> Talk:Main Page 3508
> Talk:Julius Caesar 3479

When did these access counters start at zero? Are they ever reset
again, or will they just permanently grow?

I have similar counters in susning.nu, introduced on August 3, 2002,
and so far they have never been reset. I guess there could be cases
where a monthly or yearly average is more useful, emphasizing the last
month. But so far I haven't figured out how I want to do this, and
there might be a point in using the same method as someone else.

Technically, the implementation is not difficult. Counters could be
reset at the 1st of each month, or a sliding window can be used with a
bucket accumulator for each day where the 30th bucket is subtracted
from the sum once each day, or a decaying average can be inflated by a
computed percentage at regular intervals. The only difficult decision
is to choose which method to use. Is there a standard?

--
Lars Aronsson (lars@aronsson.se)
Aronsson Datateknik