and then convert them....
there seems to be a lot of them.. look here:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Complete_list_of_language_wikis_avai
lable

Also can some pass this on to the international list, i suspect they might
have some more views on this, but i really dont need the traffic from that
list in my inbox.

Lightning
Re: International wikipedias and phase 3 software [ In reply to ]
Lightning wrote:

>Shouldn't wikipedias that have not been started be moved to the new
>software? I mean, there is nothing to change so it seems to me, right now
>would be the best time to do something like that since there is no content
>and It'd be easier to start them in the new software rather than in the old
>and then convert them....
>there seems to be a lot of them.. look here:
>http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Complete_list_of_language_wikis_avai
>lable

Good idea but disabel the "upload" function on those empty wikipedias
and place a notice to contact wikitech-l for this function.
This for preventing the misuse of a empty wikipedia. Or do we want a
"Pornopedia"? :-)

>Also can some pass this on to the international list, i suspect they might
>have some more views on this, but i really dont need the traffic from that
>list in my inbox.

I have the same problem that there are is a lot of mulipost. This seems
the most "on-topic" for wikitech-l.

I send this to wikipedia-l and Intlwiki-l and wikitech-l but please
change the adress when replying to only wikitech-l.

[folowup-to: wiktech-l@nupedia.com]

giskart
Re: International wikipedias and phase 3 software [ In reply to ]
Lightning wrote:
> Shouldn't wikipedias that have not been started be moved to the new
> software? I mean, there is nothing to change so it seems to me, right now
> would be the best time to do something like that since there is no content
> and It'd be easier to start them in the new software rather than in the old
> and then convert them....
> there seems to be a lot of them.. look here:
> http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Complete_list_of_language_wikis_avai
> lable
>

> Also can some pass this on to the international list, i suspect they might
> have some more views on this, but i really dont need the traffic from that
> list in my inbox.

I'll repeat what I said on the talk page:

Yes, but volunteer labor is scarce and setting up a few dozen wikis
that aren't being used and will have to be converted again the next
time we make a major software change* isn't my idea of fun at the
moment either. Any language that you want to use, mention it and I'll
move it over. Anything else will wait until it's gotten around to.

For example, Xaos recently made noises about the unused -- and unusable
-- Korean wiki, where the old software wasn't set up to handle an
appropriate encoding. I set up a blank ko.wikipedia.org configured for
Unicode support, and localization is ongoing.

*What I refer to here is the oft-suggested ability to combine views of
multiple languages (and the meta wiki) into one interface; for instance,
'Recentchanges' optionally showing changed articles in all the languages
you work in plus the meta discussion; being able to select the interface
language separately from the content language; having a single login
work across all languages without having to separately set up accounts &
log in all the time. This may require merging everything together into a
single database, and the less databases to deal with at the time, the
smoother it'll go.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)