Mailing List Archive

New software TEST wikis for Esperanto, Polish
As I was recently sent a translations file for Polish for the new
phase III Wikipedia software, I've set up preliminary test wikis for
Esperanto and Polish:

http://eo.wikipedia.org/
http://pl.wikipedia.org/

(This will be the same location the final upgraded wikis will be at, but
the current .com URLs will also be redirected there once things are set up
for real.)

A number of things are probably broken, including:

* There may be searching problems with non-ASCII chars

* Article titles which start with non-ASCII chars may not have proper case
conversion. This is either a bug in the locale setup or in PHP's ucfirst()
function; if I can't iron it out, I'll copy in the workaround I'd used in
an earlier version of the program.

* There are some article titles in the Polish database which started with
lowercase non-ASCII chars. These may have been skipped in conversion; this
should be fixable with automatic renaming, remind me to do that.

* The automatic conversion of uploaded files is very buggy so I
temporarily disabled it; I'll rework that in a bit. In the meantime, test
to be sure that uploads work.

* User accounts are not carried over; make sure you can create and use new
accounts.

* X-system conversion for the Esperanto wiki isn't currently implemented;
until I get that cleanly worked in, use Ek! (Windows) or an appropriate
multilingual keyboard layout (Mac, Unix) to type supersigns.

* I've converted both of these wikis to standard UTF-8 (from modified
UTF-8-with-X-surrogates for eo and ISO-8859-2 for pl). Difficulties
internal to the system (for instance, capitalization issues) should be
sorted out shortly. Polish folks; if this is a real problem with browser
support (can you read & write as before?), let me know; in the worst case
I can shift you back to ISO-8859-2 and have more charsets to deal with.

* URLs with titles in the old syntax/charset aren't compatible yet, this
will be added in before final conversion, so URLs will be preserved. On
the same note, interlanguage links to English, French, German etc
(ISO-8859-1) with accented characters won't work if typed in straight.
That'll get fixed in a bit.

* Namespaces may be generally broken, and some translations may suck. :)
Suggestions for improvements and corrections are welcome.

* Talk (diskusja, priparolu) links are (or at least should be)
automatically converted to namespaces, but the links aren't taken out of
the body text yet. That'll be done later.

* The timezone on the new server is UTC instead of California time; for
Polish eventually the _default_ offset will be local Polish time, but this
isn't ready yet.

I'll be making improvements over the next few days; if things are looking
reasonably good, expect final conversion by the end of the week. Please
play with editing, special pages, etc and complain at me if things other
than the above-mentioned don't work.

Oh, and here's the page on the English wiki which describes the various
changes from the old software to the new:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:PHP_script_new_features

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: New software TEST wikis for Esperanto, Polish [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 03:24:42AM -0700, Brion Vibber wrote:
> * There are some article titles in the Polish database which started with
> lowercase non-ASCII chars. These may have been skipped in conversion; this
> should be fixable with automatic renaming, remind me to do that.

This shouldn't be done.
These articles are redirects to overcome bug in UseMod.

Links like:
l/acina and L/acina pointed at different articles,
so the first was created as a redirect to the second.